Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Montella extends Roma contract Friday 5 April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day after Fabio Capello extended his contract with Roma, star striker Vincenzo Montella has also pledged his future to the club.

The hitman signed a new deal holding him to the Giallorossi until June 2006, ending speculation of a move away from the Italian Capital following rows with the Coach.

The 27-year-old will earn just over £5m per season under the new terms.

“Vincenzo signed the contract five days ago,” explained President Franco Sensi, “but we only handed it in to the authorities today.”

It is a surprising move as only this week Montella explained to the press that his future would depend on that of Capello.

“If Capello was to stay at Roma,” said the former Sampdoria star, “then obviously my outlook and expectations would change.”

Nonetheless, his decision to continue the successful relationship with Roma implies that he will be given greater room in the starting line-up.

The main rival for that spot was Gabriel Batistuta. Recent rumours suggest the Argentine will end his career in the Premiership with a big money deal to Chelsea supposedly lined up.

This week it was suggested that Stamford Bridge shotstopper Carlo Cudicini would be included as part of the deal to bring the 33-year-old to London.

Meanwhile, Christian Panucci has also pledged his future to Roma following Capello’s decision to stay.

Currently on loan from Monaco, the former Real Madrid and Milan defender made his position clear.

“I don’t know anything of Monaco’s plans yet,” explained the Italian international. “I am here on loan and if Roma want to keep me that would certainly not be a problem. I have always expressed my desire to stay here.”

“Should Monaco wish to spark a bidding war then they’d have to go through me first. The French President has always had good things to say about me, so I doubt it will come to this.”

1 - 2 of 2 Posts