Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides not having Simao, forwards that can finish, we tied this game because Jesualdo ain't no different then TONI. HE's afraid to win on the road.

Case in point. The game was tied early in the second half. He brings in ZZ. Good move. But for Carlitos????He was out best offensive player! Idiotic move. WHy not take out one of the trincos, Tiago did little, or Joao M Pinto to give more depth to the attack. Also again we had nothing on the left side. Drulo invisible. WHy not bring in Jorge Ribeiro for Caneira...who's attacking prowess is certainly lacking.

Nope he decided not to mess with his defensive scheme because he was too afraid of defeat. WHen are coaches going to learn that draws like these...ARE [email protected] DEFEATS!

Damn....all i want is a coach with Balls.

Btw... the new guy in the back isn't half bad.

·
Registered
986 Posts
why not start ZZ if he is healthy?

I blame all this stuff on Vilarinho and Co. Pila don't hit me. When we had a chance to sign Jardel why didn't we?

Janke will be a good player once he gets acclimated with the team but how do you miss some of the goals he missed.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
england66 said:
why not start ZZ if he is healthy?

I blame all this stuff on Vilarinho and Co. Pila don't hit me. When we had a chance to sign Jardel why didn't we?

Janke will be a good player once he gets acclimated with the team but how do you miss some of the goals he missed.
Well besides the Jardel move being questionable...I can somehow understand it because of the price Gala wanted for him at the beginning...I know Sporting got him dirt cheap....but by that time Gala just wanted to unload him.

What I do blame Vilarinho and co on...is the Mourinho affair. But I've said my piece on that since he was elected President.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
:dazed:
Carlitos playing for Benfica A team again?? Hell, and scoring again :eek:...very well for someone who was meant to be with the B team!

Go Carlitos!Too bad you have to give your best for that team :D

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I'm not going to claim to understand the Carlitos-ZZ substitution, but I disagree strongly that we were playing defensively -- it's not the coaches fault that players failed to execute on easy goals. The opportunities were there. Had they been not, then I'd agree with you.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The goal scoring opportunities were few and far in between. The game is tied and yet he plays it safe by replace offensive minded players with offensive minded players. THe same damn thing Toni used to do.

Besides we had no production whatsoever from the left side. Why not bring in Ribeiro to help boost that is Drulo ain't delivering.

Sorry this guy with his substitutions played for the draw. Pure and simple. He is too afraid to lose.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
RedEagle said:
The goal scoring opportunities were few and far in between. The game is tied and yet he plays it safe by replace offensive minded players with offensive minded players. The same damn thing Toni used to do.

Besides we had no production whatsoever from the left side. Why not bring in Ribeiro to help boost that is Drulo ain't delivering.

Sorry this guy with his substitutions played for the draw. Pure and simple. He is too afraid to lose.
I counted 4 apportunities in the second half that were more difficult to miss than to make, and that's switching back n' forth from the lamb-igg game. It had nothing to do with tactics, at least not this one.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pila said:

I counted 4 apportunities in the second half that were more difficult to miss than to make, and that's switching back n' forth from the lamb-igg game. It had nothing to do with tactics, at least not this one.
You're "in the Nile"...just like with the birds and their run stopping capabilities. ;)

This had almost everything to do with tactics, especially after the game was tied. He didn't show any desire to get 3 very, very valuable points...and it cost Benfica two points in the standings.

Nope...he's as gutless as Toni.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
RedEagle said:

You're "in the Nile"...
And you're in that typical emotional roller-coaster fans ride on a weekly basis. I don't wanna come off as a Jesualdo apologist (like the Toni apologists that frequent the forums), but Benfica had opportunities... it's not Jesualdo's fault that they woke up with a case of the "tortos".

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pila said:

And you're in that typical emotional roller-coaster fans ride on a weekly basis. I don't wanna come off as a Jesualdo apologist (like the Toni apologists that frequent the forums), but Benfica had opportunities... it's not Jesualdo's fault that they woke up with a case of the "tortos".
You are coming off as a Jesualdo apologist...but that's your man. However he's not what you claimed him to be. And that ZZ for Carlitos substitution was a moronic as anything Toni did in the past.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
What are you guys talking about? Was there a game yesterday? I just remember Troy Brown lateralling to Antowain Harris for a score and the rest of the afternoon/evening is a blur...

I've just started reading the articles, and if it weren't for the Pats good-feeling I'm still riding on, I'd be BS. A draw to Setubal at this point is inexcusable. I'm still high on Jesualdo, but whether the players perform or not - it's his responsibility to have them properly motivated/prepared.

Hope I'm wrong, but this could be the game we look back at in May and say, "If only..."...

Further concern: What happens when Simao leaves at the end of the season? We got a taste of what that's like yesterday, didn't we?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
RedEagle said:

You are coming off as a Jesualdo apologist...but that's your man. However he's not what you claimed him to be. And that ZZ for Carlitos substitution was a moronic as anything Toni did in the past.
Even if I was to agree with you on the substitution, one move doesn't make or break Jesualdo. Jesualdo will prove his worth and he doesn't need me to defend him nor the weekly claims of total failure/genius of overly emotional fans.

Re: Simao

Let us not forget that we have a very good player on loan in Roger. Although, I doubt that Vieira is as narrow-minded as fans and doesn't get a suitable acquisition to fill thsi season's vacancies.

ps Addendum: lest anyone think I'm labeling anyone here narrow-minded, I'm being very broad with the term "fans".

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pila said:

Even if I was to agree with you on the substitution, one move doesn't make or break Jesualdo. Jesualdo will prove his worth and he doesn't need me to defend him nor the weekly claims of total failure/genius of overly emotional fans.

Re: Simao

Let us not forget that we have a very good player on loan in Roger. Although, I doubt that Vieira is as narrow-minded as fans and doesn't get a suitable acquisition to fill thsi season's vacancies.

ps Addendum: lest anyone think I'm labeling anyone here narrow-minded, I'm being very broad with the term "fans".

Great post Razor! :)

Pila...you can apologize for him till kingdom come against my claims as "an emotional fan"...because what he did yesterday was disasterous in literally giving away 2 points. He did the same precise moves that Toni was doing in the first half of the season...particularly on the road. Benfica needed this game...and they needed to play desperate. They were not well prepared....and tactically they were far from what they were last week.

When the coach is below par, it is up to the fans to let him know. Toni heard it. I hope Jesualdo fixes himself real quick or by the end of the season if he keeps what he did yesterday up...you can say bye-bye!

I am not firing him...but in no way can you say that this draw is not on him!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I'm not complaining about the criticism, some of it is even deserved, but merely enjoying how fans hop on and off the bandwagon on a weekly basis.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pila said:
I'm not complaining about the criticism, some of it is even deserved, but merely enjoying how fans hop on and off the bandwagon on a weekly basis.
What bandwagon??? The team played well at home twice...Once it hit the road, Jesualdo prevented them from doing the same. No bandwagon here...it's a simple fact.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The only move i have a problem with is not starting ZZ. If he is healthy he should start. Drulo should have been on the bench.

Jorge Ribeiro is no more offensive minded than Caneira and nowhere near the defender. I wouldn't make that move.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
england66 said:
The only move i have a problem with is not starting ZZ. If he is healthy he should start. Drulo should have been on the bench.

Jorge Ribeiro is no more offensive minded than Caneira and nowhere near the defender. I wouldn't make that move.
According to a tidbit I read on Record before the game, Jesualdo is trying to ease him back because he is not in game shape yet.

With a healthy Sokota, I'd like to see Mantorras get a rest and be brought in on the second half. I think he is in need of a breather.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
england66 said:

I disagree on the Ribeiro analysis. He's an attacking left fullback with a deadly cross, and too boot a nasty left footed shot. Caneira is the better defender...but he can't do anything down the wing with the ball. If you saw yesterday's game, he choked on half his passes.

Not starting ZZ for precautionary reasons I understand. Subbing him for Carlitos...our most dangerous player in the game I can't. And Drulo is a 30 minute player at best.

We had no attacks from the left side whatsoever....that should tell Jesualdo something is wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mantorras needs a rest i agree with that Pila person maybe the second half would be a better time to bring Mantorras in.I say instead of starting Mantorras we play with Zahovic off the start and bring Mantorras off the bench in the second half.I think Drulovic is Jakal and Hyde one game looks great the other looks brutal and this year for us he hasent looked to many times great, and Benfica aint a team that can risk playing him game after game with his horrible performances.We need points and need the best squad out there to get the results.

M

·
0 Posts
Theres for too much pressure on Mantorras considering he is only 19. We should rely on somebody like Jankauskas to score the goals as the whole of Lithuania depends on him to do that for them. With no pressure on him Mantorras can start to really play to his potential.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts