Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being loaned to Werder Bremen from his old Danish Team, he has came on twice as a sub in the 83rd minute and scored. Amazing Arab Talent, I hope he doesn't get too full of himself and stays grounded. I hope that one day he will go to a great club, maybe BARCA!

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Yes, Mohamed Zidan will play for Egypt against Kuwait in preparation for the WCQ game against Sudan.

Imagine our attack trio: Mido - Meteb - Zidan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this generation of players is the best we've got. Trully it'll be sad if we miss on the WC and some other team like South Africa makes it instead. Really sad that CIV, Cameroon, and Egypt lie in the same group. Well, CAF's loss.

·
Registered
465 Posts
No man! unfortuantly our loss and a big one at that. Tardelli really put us in such a bad spot before he was fired..allah ya7'reb betoh! Imagine players like Zaki and bilal won't be good enough to play upfront for us. We have to win all our games even CIV and Cameroon away to have a realistic chance of qualifying yet I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
465 Posts
abe_lenstra said:
Mohamed Zidan scored 40 times in 45 games for FC Midtjylland.
He also scored 12 times in 51 games for AB.

Actually, it was 30 in 47 matches but who's counting ;)

2002/03 AB Kopenhagen 27 11 Denemarken
2003/04 FC Midtjylland 30 19 Denemarken
2004/05 FC Midtjylland 17 11 Denemarken
2004/05 Werder Bremen 4 2 Bundesliga

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
By the way, is Mohammad Zidan Jewish? :confused: or has he ever played for an Israeli team? In one of the vedios, I thought I saw Zidan wearing a skull cap. Not that I have anything against him being of the Jewish faith, but it's bloody confusing with him having a first name like Mohammad.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Paris, hahaha...you couldn't possibly be an Arab. There is no way on earth that anyone with the name Mohamed could be Jewish. He is Muslim and Egyptian from Port Said. What you saw was not a skull cap, it was the letter Z made by shaving his head and perhaps he even colored it. He has done that for certain games. Not sure what other logos if you will he might done with his hair. He has never played for an Israeli team. In fact, I'm not aware of any Arab who has played for an Israeli team other than Palastinians who live inside Israel and have Israeli citizenship.

BTW, I like you taste in avatars ;)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
footballnut said:
Paris, hahaha...you couldn't possibly be an Arab. There is no way on earth that anyone with the name Mohamed could be Jewish. He is Muslim and Egyptian from Port Said. What you saw was not a skull cap, it was the letter Z made by shaving his head and perhaps he even colored it. He has done that for certain games. Not sure what other logos if you will he might done with his hair. He has never played for an Israeli team. In fact, I'm not aware of any Arab who has played for an Israeli team other than Palastinians who live inside Israel and have Israeli citizenship.
Football nut, thats right I am not an Arab. He made a letter Z? I've seen people do initials on thier head before and nike symbols etc, but honestly, that design looks more like a skull cap than a "Z"...even one of my Iraqi friends thought it was a skull cap. Anyway, it looked rather cool on him.

And yes I agree (obviously), my taste in Avatars is good :)

Mussav said:
Paris

this is the Joke of the Century
how can a Jewish or Christian have a Mohammed Name or Zidan ?

Mussav, you misunderstood me amigo. I didn't state that he is Jewish, I asked if he was Jewish. I asked because I thought he was wearing a Skull cap and that baffled because he has the same first name as the Prophet Muhammad (SAW), so if he isn't Jewish, I thought maybe he played for an Israeli club which has a dress code of wearing a skull cap. Hope that clarifies the misconception. But yeah, I agree it would be strange to see a Jew or a Christian with the name Muhammad.

But thanks for clarifying that gentlemen.

BTW, is Zidane actually a Muslim name? Besides ZZ, I have never come acroos that name before. Does Zidan(e) mean something in Arabic?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Paris,

You are NOT the only one who thought Zidan wore a skullcap. Many journalists in Egypt also thought he did although in reality its just a weird haircut.

Actually, its not the letter Z that looks like the skullcap. The Z is on his head's sides.. But what looks like a skullcap is his club's logo which is a wolf's head in a circle:

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Well it would be more feasable if he had a name common to people of the different faiths, like Zakaria or Adam or Ismail or Yousef (Joseph) or Ibrahim, but Mohammed!!!

As for the name Zidan (which is formally pronounced Zaydan) it comes from the root word (z , y , d) which means to increase. While not the most common surname, you do find it all over the arab world.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Lol, actually my family name as well except i spell it Zedan. In Arabic, it would be spelled exactly the same. No relationship though to either player as far as I know and I'm egyptian.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Thanks for that folks.

He is a great talent indeed. A real joy to watch!!!!!!!

I pray that Juve can snatch him from WB....only coz of him, I'll be watching WB, and supporting Egypt in a lot of the competitions. I want to see as much of this player as possible.

How are Egypt doing for the 2006 WC qualifiers?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not that great! 3rd place right now but the team is starting to play very well and getting good results. We are still optimistic. Zidan as talented as he is still might not start. His first game with the NT might be a friendly against kuwait. The starting strikers for egypt are Mido who is too good to take out and met3eb who has just been a scoring machine. Perhaps zidan will be a sub or maybe a change of formation with him playing behind the two stikers. First he has to play regular football for bremen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts