Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moggi has no sympathy for vanquished Inter

Sunday 5th May 2002

Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi recalled the controversial way his club lost the title in 2000 after they snatched the Scudetto from Internazionale in the final round on Sunday.

"I would be lying if I said I felt sorry for Inter," he commented, referring to the Perugia-Juve match in May 2000 which was halted for 90 minutes due to torrential rain.

Referee Pierluigi Collina finally got matters underway and the Turin side lost, although it later transpired that the game should have been abandoned once play had seen suspended for an hour.

"Obviously it's horrible to lose the title like Inter have, but we experienced the same thing two years ago," added Moggi. "The only difference is that we lost it an hour after the end of the season."

Juventus coach Marcello Lippi also referred to the misery of Perugia 2000 as he praised the battling qualities of his players.

"This squad lost a Scudetto two years ago in the same way that Inter did today," he said. "It shows that life always gives back what it takes from you.

"I can't compare this success with the titles I have won in the past," the veteran coach continued.

"I was sacked by the Juve directors, then they wanted me here again, so I can say that this Scudetto is better than the others. My satisfaction is that much greater than in the past.

"The key moment was in Piacenza, when we won a difficult match just two minutes before the end, reducing the gap to Inter to one point. Inter were maybe more consistent than us but we deserved the title.

"I don't want to talk about Inter as what I say could be manipulated. I'm just happy for all the Juve fans," added Lippi, who was fired by Inter just a match into last season.

Fabio Capello, whose Roma side clinched the runners-up spot with victory at Torino, suggested the title had gone to the right club.

"Juventus deserve this Scudetto," said the coach of the 2000-01 champions. "We had a great season, but there weren't as many victories as we expected.

"We had a chance to win this championship in Venice and we wasted it," he added. "We played against a relegated team and drew 2-2. But I'm confident we'll fight for the title again."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts