Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well you need one just to let off steam ... Now why on earth does Spain and Holland insist on the two holding CMs!? Why do you need De jong and Mvb against denmark?! Or worse play busquets and xabi alonso and zero strikers against italy :palm:

It also looks like a case of burnt out for many of the players of late stages of UCL - the bayern lot looked tired yesterday, Xavi hardly had legs to run today, Robben will collapse on the pitch next etc. best time for Russia Coratia nick a european cup it seems...

And Jelavic scored as predicted! :strong:

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,494 Posts
Italia trying to pull a France...
allowing speedy Africans to play without any real merit!

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the pitch looked like a 3rd grade pitch in Malawi!

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
I never understood the fuss about playing both Busquets and Alonso. It's not like they are strictly defensive midfielders ala De Jong and Van Bommel for example :D

As a matter of fact i would even consider them both (Xabi and Sergi) to be better offensively then they are defensively and are essential to the team since none the other midfielders (Xavi, Iniesta, Silva) play no defence whatsoever. Busquets as much as i cant stand him is a nifty, clever player that is a master at short passing and is a grindy fuk with those long legs of his. While Alonso offers stability and masterful long passes and is the better defensively of the two. Its really not as defensive as some people try to make it look out to be. Spain would be run ragged through the middle if it wasn't for these two playing together.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Spain could easily bench one of them and move down Cesc to his normal position and play with a proper striker though.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Khalid

I don't agree with your assessment of Xavi's game. He had over 100 passes in the match, and in fact, this is the second time in history of Euro Cups that a player makes over 100 passes in a match. First time... it was Pep Guardiola.

Xavi was doing just fine. Spain had more of possession etc. The problem was the formation, the simple absence of recipient of the passes.

Mourinho is a clown and likes to troll Barca players, and Spanish NT, but he has a point. He said about the Spain-Italy match that whatever good job Spain are doing in midfield doesn't matter because they create no danger there, if there's nobody to trouble Buffon up top.

PS Mourinho is still a clown, and Madrid based Spanish NT players have realized this long ago. Clearly wishing Spain to fail.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,494 Posts
TOO many white dudes trying to dribble like S. American footballers!

Seriously, they lack the magic touch!!!

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
fats avatar makes me angry

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Khalid

I don't agree with your assessment of Xavi's game. He had over 100 passes in the match, and in fact, this is the second time in history of Euro Cups that a player makes over 100 passes in a match. First time... it was Pep Guardiola.

Xavi was doing just fine. Spain had more of possession etc. The problem was the formation, the simple absence of recipient of the passes.

Mourinho is a clown and likes to troll Barca players, and Spanish NT, but he has a point. He said about the Spain-Italy match that whatever good job Spain are doing in midfield doesn't matter because they create no danger there, if there's nobody to trouble Buffon up top.

PS Mourinho is still a clown, and Madrid based Spanish NT players have realized this long ago. Clearly wishing Spain to fail.
Lets see how fresh he looks next game, to me he seemed exhausted whilst iniesta was doing all the running...point about no striker is valid though and its not like its how spain won the last two cups to stubbornly stick to it...

·
Fourth Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
4,820 Posts
im whine about 2 things

first si why welback start for england team. he didnt do anything, but he always get chance. better to start with defo when rooney banned and afterwards rooney.

second is spain also never give chance for ateltico bilbao guy llorente. but in this season he is some of the best i have seen. always give chance to torres who miss 2-3 easy goal every match.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I would like to complain about Torres

FFS man, you have been on the Spanish NT for what 8 years now? And you have exactly one good performance in all of that time. Don't be a one hit wonder and make this tournament yours.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would like to complain about the Turkish ref from yesterdays match. Almost every situation went Ukraine's way. One situation especially pissed me off so bad. The one where Ibra got pushed several times near their box.

They push from behind him to the ground, still fighting for it, tries to get back up, gets pushed down again. Finally gets up and pushes back, and then HE gets a call against him. Absolutely ridiculous.

Almost as if the ref was saying: hey guys, do whatever you like to this big fella. It's all good, I won't allow him to touch you back anyway.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,885 Posts
Can the coaches grow a pair please?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Look, I'd prefer Spain to play with a striker - Llorente, because of the high opinion I hold of him - but after having a few days to digest things, a lot of the criticism of Spain playing without a striker is quite off the mark in my opinion.

If I go out and play a 4-3-3 with Iniesta, Silva, and Cesc up front (all 3 eminently offensive players) how is that any less offensive than the same formation with, say, Negredo, Torres, and Llorente up front? My point is it's not about the players, it's about what you do with them. Maybe we're too boxed in with our thinking.

Italy played with 2 strikers for 60 minutes, and at least 1 striker all match, and they scored 1 goal. Spain played with 0 strikers for 70 minutes and 1 striker for 20 minutes and scored 1 goal (when they had no strikers on).

Also, complaining about Xabi Alonso and Busquets in the team, because you see it as playing with 2 DM...not quite sure I agree with that either. Busquets is clearly a defensive midfielder but Alonso? Not at all. He never plays this role, either for club or country. He is a deep lying playmaker, whose speciality lies in long passes and switching fields with the ball, which when you think about it is quite a complement to Xavi's game of short, combination passing and through-balls/one-twos in the center.

In reality Spain plays a 4-1-2-3, which when the fullbacks push up (such as in the 2nd half against Italy) becomes a 3-4-3. The most offensive team in the tournament by a distance.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Spain could easily bench one of them and move down Cesc to his normal position and play with a proper striker though.
The central midfield is key for Spain and Del Bosque isn't doing anything wrong in having Alonso and Busquets in there. One of the big reasons Spain can win a big tournament again is having those two in there but of course this absolute key aspect of the Spanish side is overlooked and the focus is on the more glamorous forward players.

If Spain didn't have those two players and how they operate in midfield then Spain would not be as half as effective as they are in their overall game plan. Both Alonso and Busquets are key in pressing the ball high up in the oppositions half. Not just pressing the ball but winning it back.

Alonso is predominatly the main guy in that aspect but he would not be as effective in what he does if he didn't have the safety net and the knowledge that Busquets is covering him if a player escapes his attentions when the opposition are trying to play their way out from their own half. Take away Busquets and then Spain could become vulnerable in how Alonso operates in this Spanish side.

Add in the fact that both Alonso and Busquets can both contribute in Spanish attacks and it can be seen that they are both very much integral to this Spanish side.

If you want a striker to start in this Spanish team look away from thoughts of dropping these two "defensive" midfielders and instead focus your attention on the front three. Iniesta is undroppable so if a striker is to come in it would be at the expense of Fabregas or Silva.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts