Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is what happens when the MLS plays a non-traditional season as it will come into conflict with the World Cup. Here are a few questions that you guys try to answer and see how you feel about it:

1. Should the MLS go into a more traditional schedule??...I know its tough as the fall months many of the MLS stadiums are used for the NFL teams. And yes, winter can be hell in places like Denver and Chicago and Boston, but then again, European countries have very cold and snowy winters as well.

2. Should the MLS shut down during the World Cup?? Ok, with the time difference to Japan/Korea games won't conflict, I mean how many MLS games are played at 2:30 am, 5 am, and 7 am EST..but, the US NT will be taking many of its players away from their MLS teams....which leads me to this....

3. Is it an unfair advantage to teams like Dallas who don't have any players that will be on the US NT for the WOrld Cup while teams like the MetroStars will be losing star players and players that are an integral part of the offence like Clint Mathis??

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
1. No.

2. No. There are what, 12 MLS players missing? It would be silly to close the whole league on account of a dozen players. Plus, as Rob Stone pointed out during yesterday's match, the absence of the stars on some teams gives young talent a chance to get some playing time and show us what they have.

3. Chicago and San Jose are the hardest hit by WC callups and they both won yesterday. DC United survived a huge callup of players for the 98 WC and still did fine.

If anything, the callups hurt already weak teams who can't afford to lose a major star.

·
Registered
674 Posts
MLS season

I second Hern. It's a strong second as to the schedule. Our weather is generally more severe than the best Euro leagues. Besides, soccer can not come head to head with high school, college and professional helmet ball YET.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helmet ball....:D I love that one.

I understand. The problem with fall is football and the stadium availability....then you have to go against the baseball playoffs and World Series...then late fall/early winter you have hoops and hockey....then now in the spring, basketball and hockey playoffs...so the MLS does have it tough.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I too think it would be a mistake for the MLS to go up agaist US hand ball, Though I would love it to be played in the fall , in Germany they have a winter break, so that could work out as far as weather. Untill they start getting 40,000 at a match I wouldnt t5hink of changing the league. Right now it competes with Baseball as an alternative to the high expence of a family sports package. As Baseball goes through another strike and thos small market teams move on you will see Footie gain ground. For now we will have to deal with The WC every 4 years.

G

·
I think that you have very good questions. And I have mixed feelings on the answers . I think that to the rest of the world , us continuing to play our domestic appears to show that we are nieve to the fact that it is a world cup year. As for those 12 players , all 12 of them , i hate to admit are one of the reasons i tune on to watch soccer saturday's , regardless if anyone of them are playing i am still going to watch , but honestly the ratings with some one like donovan or mathis playing compared to with out them are hugely affected. I wont lie its hard as hell for me to want to watch an mls game without a single national teamer , although , the point about letting the younger guys show there stuff is a point i did not think of. Overall however i am still not too sure on which side i should lean onto. But one thing is for sure i will be watching tons of footie this summer!!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I honestly don't care if MLS plays a summer season, but they should always shut down when the national team is playing.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be honest...during the one month the World Cup is on, I won't watch a single MLS game. For me, its hard to watch the World Cup with the kind of quality and skill of those players and then try to turn on an MLS game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts