Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=753733

Arsenal Squad Numbers: Almunia Officially No. 1

Jens Lehmann is currently preparing for a European Championship final that must have looked an unlikely prospect in the depths of last winter when he was grumpily occupying the Arsenal bench and sniping regularly at the man who'd displaced him in Arsene Wenger's first XI, Manuel Almunia.

But the German keeper's release by the Gunners at the end of his contract has enabled Wenger to recognise the Spaniard by handing Almunia the number4 one jersey for next season.

Almunia had previousy worn the number 24.

His elevation is the most notable change in the confirmed list of squad numbers for the 2008/09 season announced by Arsenal this week.

Should Arsene have signed a new number one this season? Was he right in trusting Manuel Almunia (who I must say had a solid, if not spectacular season)? Or could his faith in Almunia cost Le Arse the league this season?

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
For your sake I hope he's not your first choice keeper. Arsene is no mug, surely he has something up his sleeve, like a talented Polish goalie...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Like I've said before, we can do better than Almunia but he's not that bad and he's improved greatly over the last couple of seasons. Compared to other areas of the team the GK position can't be seen as a major concern.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having viewed the first couple of games this season I would like to retract my comments on Almunia staying on as number one being a risk. He looks not only solid, but a good shot stopper aswell. I feel alot more relaxed with him in goal than I was last season.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I would rather have someone else myself because there are better keepers out there, but as of right now it isn't a major issue. There are plenty of keepers in the EPL that are better than him.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Almunia is growing into the position. He is one of the most confident keepers with ball at feet right up there with Van der Sar if you ask me. As a shot stopper he's also good. And he's not too shabby coming off his line. Aerially he leaves something to be desired, true, but he hasn't been tested in the air this season so I don't know how he has improved in that department.

Van der Sar
Given
Cech
Jaskelainen
Almunia
Reina

Those are the best goalkeepers in the prem.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Seriously has Almunia been good this season (I honestly dont know cause havent seen full arsenal games)?

On going off what I had seen in previous season I thought he was at best a decent number 2.

I think Given would of been a great buy for Arsenal. Wots the story with your youth team keeper (that brazilian or italian guy that captained the team in the league cup).

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Seriously has Almunia been good this season (I honestly dont know cause havent seen full arsenal games)?

On going off what I had seen in previous season I thought he was at best a decent number 2.

I think Given would of been a great buy for Arsenal. Wots the story with your youth team keeper (that brazilian or italian guy that captained the team in the league cup).
Vito Mannone. He's in the stiffs plugging away. Fabianski is ahead of him.

Manu Almunia was overshadowed by Lehmann last season. You'll hear gooners singing his praises this year.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
A lot of this doubt is stemmed from him not being a big name. An older keeper who has been patient and made his way through the ranks. We see Cech making some complete howlers but there is no doubting him. Wenger cares about offense first. Defence to him is secondary including the keeper. He's done ok and performed consistently. He does have his moments but so do all of them mostly. If we had signed a young "name" goalkeeper like say for example Afinkeev or something and he had performed at the same level as Almunia not so many people would be questioning it. It's the fact that Almunia is not a household name that there is so many doubters. Cech makes a mistake and it's oh well it's just one of those things. Almunia makes a mistake and it's oh he's shit and we can do better.It doesn't over concern me him being our keeper. I'd be more worried about the famed Gallas - Toure partnership when the heat is on.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In Cech's defence, I don't recall him making too many mistakes prior to his life-threatening injury. He was amazing before that incident.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Well it was just an example. Boruc is someone that is always seen as a good keeper but he made a terrible mistake in the old firm game at the weekend. It can happen to anyone. Think Almunia is solid enough. That's enough for Wenger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts