Xtratime Community banner

7161 - 7180 of 7188 Posts

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
If you told me 10, or even 5 years ago that there'd be two Canadian players starting against each other on a CL matchday, with not a single Romanian in any squad (at least until tomorrow), I would have probably cried laughing.

Crvena Zvezda's keeper Borjan vs Bayern's Davies.
Granted, Andone would have been a starter today if he wasn't injured. And hopefully Hagi and Marin at least get some minutes tomorrow... Stanciu surely will.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
I wanted to continue a conversation we had on the Young Romanian Player of the Year thread here so as not to derail the topic.

As GICA said, trust based on our international reputation also plays a big part besides mental and physical preparations, but seriously.. we have to wonder HOW do countries like Canada and Finland have more players not only playing regularly in top leagues, but doing really well there and even making the CL team of the week...

Let’s consider Canada:
Lost 8-1 to Honduras in WC qualifying in 2012, only two years after we beat Honduras 3-0 in a friendly (using a half B team btw with guys like Dananae, Florescu, Bilasco, Cocis, Galamaz, Radut, Sepsi, etc).

They had almost no real decent footballers ever (aside from Hargreaves who played for England), now they have:

Borjan (MOTM performance for Crvena Zvezda in CL)
Vitoria (Moreirense in Portuguese top league)
Eustaquio (on loan at Pacos de Ferreira)
Arfield (Rangers)
Hutchinson (Besiktas)
Hoilett (Cardiff City)
Davies (Bayern; MOTM performance twice for Bayern now, huge potential at 19)
David (Gent; one of the top scorers in Belgium at 19)
Larin (Besiktas on loan at Zulte Waregem)

Finland:
The team we have our biggest ever win against, 9-0. Also already qualified to the Euros.

Halme (Barnsley)
Uronen (Genk)
Moren (Waasland-Beveren)
Hradecky (Leverkusen)
Pohjanpalo (Leverkusen)
Joronen (Brescia)
Lam (Zwolle)
Karjalainen (Fortuna Sittard)
Kamara (Rangers)
Jensen (Augsburg)
Pukki (Norwich City)

Not stacked sides maybe but have quite a few regulars in top leagues, I excluded quite a few from weaker leagues or those who don’t play much / at all.

Romania in reality should have more raw talent at its disposal and good resources, si what needs to happen?

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
To be fair not all of these players are in a perfect situation either...Pohjanpalo for example has been very unlucky with injuries in the past 2 years and even when fit it should be very hard for him to become a starter at Leverkusen. Things can change really fast in football...as we saw with Finland's NT and Canada. ;)

Romania in reality should have more raw talent at its disposal and good resources, si what needs to happen?
It's a simple and stupid answer but it's the best I've got (aside from the logical "invest more in a serious youth infrastructure and youth program"): Our players have to do better...

Even after 2 decades of failures I still have hope 😅 Call me crazy but I still believe the next Mutu and Chivu will come (I sound like I'm waiting for Jesus)...we already have a decent amount of players who have the potential to do a lot of good things for the NT....Alibec, Stanciu,...I think a good coach (hopefully Radoi) can help a lot in this case, animate players to completely new levels in their performance for the NT, which can also push them on club level and help their career.

Stanciu for example looks a lot better at Slavia than in the NT...

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
Call me crazy but I still believe the next Mutu and Chivu will come (I sound like I'm waiting for Jesus)
:howler:

But yeah, good points. So our players need to be more determined, adaptable, and intelligent at times to play at their best level and not give up when benched. Then if our NT results and even the league level in European games increases to a degree, so does our rep, and the players get easier chances/transfers. Let’s hope Radoi and others can help with that too.

Guys like Mihaila and Cirjan seem to have really strong mentalities from what I’ve seen/read, others still good ones if not as great, better than a lot in the past.. and then again a few not so great mentalities, but we’ll see. That determination and IQ will be key

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
Merry Christmas to all of you!

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
Apparently Memphis Depay is in Craiova for his ligament injury recovery because of a special clinic there. Kinda strange if you ask me out of all the cities in Europe, it must be pretty advanced but also cheaper or something, I don’t know. Weird but cool.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
Wu Lei scored against Barca yesterday in La Liga, I think the first Chinese player to score on them in a competitive match (except maybe for a player on Guangzhou Evergrande in CWC? I’m not sure).

So, we’re now in a world where the following countries have players doing well in the top 4 leagues:

Finland
Canada
China
North Korea
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
Cuba
Kenya
Zimbabwe
Etc

Vietnam have some kid doing well for Heerenveen in Eredivisie too

We need to recuperate badly

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
Btw, Ion “Lita” Dumitru, one of our greatest ever CMs who played at WC 70 and was an excellent long passer and friends with on Facebook for some years now - he’s an Uber driver now. I was angry to hear how some customers complain about him, Americans have such shit manners and lack of respect..

He’s also coach / coordinator of an academy called Kalonji in Atlanta, Georgia

7161 - 7180 of 7188 Posts