Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the government is looking at making the age at which Turkish born professional athletes are required to do their service is being increased to 38.

Tumer Metin olay :howler:

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a rational decision in my opinion

You can only play football professionally for a certain portion of your life, (Probably around 17-36), it's a shame to players that they have to do service within that time span, it's just a waste.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
its easy to talk when you live in a country thats safe, but a country that borders hostility such as turkey, it is a requirement. i would understand if we were fortunate enough to be located where the US is, or where enland is, or even germany, sourrounded by countries that are stable, or sourrounded by bodies of water that make it safer for people from conflict. but we arent.
the concept may be bullshit to some of you, but reality is that turkey borders some ****ed up countries and these countries are not able to check their citizens and prevent them from harming our people. maybe there will be a day when turkey's neighboors straighten up, and turkey does too, and then there wont be the need to do military service. lets hope that day approaches soon..

·
*the drum drum*
42,893 Posts
We should do like the Koreans :D

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=232741

Back a few decades ago, footballers would do their service and play for teams at the same time. The clubs would try lobby to get the player placed at a base close to the team (Fener had a lot of success with this, so many Fenerli Generals :howler:), and would bring the players back on weekends to play matches.

·
I like things
14,200 Posts
That military is the only thing keeping the pislik ak party in line, if not for them then what? There is a little thing called democracy, the world wouldn't take Turkiye's democracy seriously if the military throw pislik erdogan and his disgusting party out of power.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Our democracy is a joke anyways, it really wouldn't make a difference at this point if the military intervened or not

·
I like things
14,200 Posts
Our democracy is not a joke, if it were a joke then er.gotveren.dogan wouldn't be in power. It actually works pretty well

·
I like things
14,200 Posts
Just like any other democracy in the world.

Turkiye wouldn't be half the country it is without our military, and unfortunately the term "you don't have a military no one will want to fight you" can't be applied to this situation, not in the region we are situated in.

·
Master Debater
20,721 Posts
Yapmayin beyler

The military service is what it is and it isn't going to change. Some of us liking it and some of us hating it makes no difference what so ever. If you're a citizen and want to remain one odds are you'll have to bite your lip and take it like a man.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I wonder why no one in Turkey ever thought about old soviet technique to appease both athletes and military by creating military sports clubs (prime examples are clubs under the "CSKA" name in former Eastern Bloc countries. In nutshell it is when young athletes join this club it equals of them serving in the military.

e.g. if player A reaches certain age he gets transfered from team B to some CSKASPOR where he plays for 2 years or whatever the terms of military service are. He can participates in competitive tournaments, play for national team and upon the completion of his term he might rejoin his old team or get transfered to some other club or he might as well stay at CSKASPOR and continue playing for them.

·
Master Debater
20,721 Posts
Quid that would only work in a government in full and complete control of an economy.
The free market economy that certain countries employ make what you propose completely impossible.

The teams are in most part private entities. To do what you propose the military would have to own a team.

It would cause way too much commotion in the country with cries of bias toward that team. It won't work, not in a free market economy.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I only just got my last extension done this week (have to do it after 2011).

Spoke to my bro today about it (he did it at 38) and it really is a holiday.

It purely a money making exercise where it involves those that are paying to do 3 weeks. At the end you'll even get the op to buy a dvd of the experience (you probably wont be on it.

However they are strict on things like waking up early, making your bed, shaving, etc. Which is only natural if you work in a city job :D

I asked about those who were religious (I've heard that they frown upon these guys). You don't see much against them in paid service.

It certainly has its merits but I can't help but feel they only care about our dollars.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Military duty is absolute bullshit.
Correction: Conscription is absolute bullshit. At least you can say you're gay and the military won't take you in because you have an "illness".

The funny thing is the US did have a draft. But some conscientious objector named Muhammed Ali said "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong, they ain't never called me a *****." After that, the US has a completely volunteer army.

I think if someone who is a medical physician, pharmacist, nurse or anything person with a health care background should be able to do their military service at a military hospital. That way they can learn how to perform in their profession and get a citizen requirement out of the way (the proverbial killing two birds with one stone).

You know what, if service is required for males, why not make it a requirement for females too? Its sexual discrimination (in a way), and besides, considering "hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn" and the fact that some Turkish ladies have short tempers (even shorter if they have PMS), I can see invaders running into the hills.

Still, if I lived in Turkey, I would object to doing it. That is unless there is a war going on and the life of the country hung in the balance. That's different.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Military service is known for service for the country not necessarily a service for the protection of the country.

It is also known as one's paying his debt to the country. I don't know what kind of debt that is but I guess if you are born as a Turkish citizen, you are always in debt anyway :)

Anyway, so my thought is that, you don't have to wear a military uniform in order to serve for the country. You can do a lot of other things.

And in this specific case I agree with this decision, and I even believe that nationaly atheletes should not do military service at all, because they have already done enough for their country. I am not specifically talking about football players by the way.

·
I like things
14,200 Posts
Anyway, so my thought is that, you don't have to wear a military uniform in order to serve for the country. You can do a lot of other things.

And in this specific case I agree with this decision, and I even believe that nationaly atheletes should not do military service at all, because they have already done enough for their country. I am not specifically talking about football players by the way.
Athletes, especially those who play for the national team should be given special extentions.... but your thought of not having to wear a uniform to serve you country, is a very easy way out. We can all use the argument, that's not how it works, our country is nothing without its military.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts