Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
26/04/2002, Acimovic set to sign soon
Slovenia international Milenko Acimovic claims he is close to completing a move to Tottenham from Yugoslavian side Red Star Belgrade.

Glenn Hoddle is ready to rebuild his squad over the summer months and having already signed Jamie Redknapp on a free transfer, the Spurs boss is looking to add the 25-year-old to his squad for next season with Acimovic saying he will complete the formalities of the move over the weekend.

"It's just a question of where the details and formalities will be sorted out, in Belgrade or in London. I think everything should be solved by Saturday. I'm certainly very excited," Acimovic told Yugoslavian newspaper Delo.

Acimovic has been a long-term target of Hoddle, who has been monitoring the player for some time, and the boss sees his ball-playing skills as ideal for the style of football being played at White Hart Lane.

Acimovic was a team-mate of defender Goran Bunjevcevic before the latter joined Spurs last summer and it looks like the pair will link up again in north London.

Source : FootyMad
--------------------------------
not sure if this is the right place to post but who is Acimovic??? :confused: is he any good at all???

·
Premium Member
27,256 Posts
Yes, it is the right place. Acimovic has been in Red Star's midfield for the last few years, his beginning was not an easy one, but his ability of scoring wonderful goals as well as being skillful with the ball has won him the confidence of our coaches.

Even against Leicester City in the UEFA Cup last year he scored a brilliant goal in the first game.

All in all, a player I really don't like to see leaving, but he has deserved the chance to try out in a more competitive league.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, red star forever... :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
28/04/2002, Acimovic hints at Spurs move

Red Star Belgrade midfielder Milenko Acimovic has reiterated claims he is on the verge of a move to Tottenham. The Slovenia international says he will travel to London today to finalise the deal.

He told Yugoslavian radio station B92: "I had planned to go to London to have a medical and to sign a contract with Tottenham Hotspur. "I asked my coach if I could miss the game against Hajduk in Kula, but he did not want to give me a free day so very probably I will play and then go to London today."

The 25-year-old, who has scored nine goals in 37 appearances for his country, added: "I have been in contact with Tottenham for the last three months.

"They came to Belgrade to watch me three times and we have discussed a lot. I am still open to other offers though. "I also have very good proposals from Greece so if something goes wrong with Tottenham I have another offer."

Spurs manager Glenn Hoddle has confirmed his interest in Acimovic. "He's on the shopping list of quite a few clubs," Hoddle told their official website. "He's a lad we've been monitoring, like five or six others. I can't say much more than that at the moment."

Source : FA Premier

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sure... :D:D:D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tuesday, April 30, 2002
Acimovic agrees Spurs deal
By Dominic Raynor

Tottenham Hotspur have signed Slovenian international Milenko Acimovic from Red Star Belgrade on a free-transfer.

Acimovic: Hoddle admirer
(TonyMarshall/Empics)
The 25-year-old midfielder will begin a four-year contract with club when he returns from this summer's World Cup in Korea/Japan.

Acimovic was in London over the weekend to broker the deal and Spurs announced its completion with a statement to the city's Stock Exchange this afternoon:

'Tottenham Hotspur plc is pleased to announce that agreement has been reached with Red Star Belgrade and the player Milenko Acimovic for the transfer of his registration under a four-year contract once certain formalities are concluded.'

Earlier in the day Acimovic declared his delight at the switch. 'I am very proud to sign for such a club as Tottenham with such a reputation and tradition,' he said.

'I have spoken with Glenn Hoddle several times in the past few months and we knew we would establish a fine relationship because we think the same way.

Spurs manager Hoddle had kept tabs on the former Olimpia Ljubljana player and earmarked him as the man to form a dynamic midfield partnership with Jamie Redknapp, who has already joined from Liverpool for next season.

Acimovic's arrival will reunite him with former Red Star teammate Goran Bunjevcevic at White Hart Lane but it could lead to the departures of Norwegian international midfielder Oyvind Leonhardsen and Tim Sherwood.

Both players are understood to be surplus to requirements at White Hart Lane, with Sherwood already linked with a switch to West Bromwich Albion, who have just been promoted to the Premiership.

Meanwhile, Redknapp made his first appearance for Spurs on Monday night, playing 80 minutes for the reserves in the goalless draw against Ipswich.

The 28-year-old said: 'It felt good to get out there and play for Spurs. I've had a frustrating couple of seasons with injury. Now I just want to get back to my best.'

soccernet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts