Xtratime Community banner

Rate the season so far...

• Excellent- A treble or double is on the cards.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Good- Can win either the Scudetto or UCL.

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Average- We will begin to crack and lose.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad- We start to play like our cousins.

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLAYERS

Abbiati: Still our second keeper and therefore has had limited appearances. Seems very loyal and happy just to be apart of the club. Always the first one to celebrate a goal. Impressive when he has played.

Ambrosini: Unfortunate to be on the bench again, but has still played a fair bit. Doesn't seem to be troubled by his benching and still gives a great performances each time he goes out there. Scored and captained the team against Roma which is great.

Borriello: On the bottom of our strikers list, and has only had limited appearances. Still young and needs an opportunity. Yet to score, but has shown a bit of potential. I haven't been overly impressed though.

Brocchi: Another one of our substitute/reserve players. A poor mans Gattuso in my eyes, however he has a bit more attacking potential. Tries his heart out every match and is handy to have.

Cafu: A terrific signing who has fitted in well with our defence. His attack has been vital to our team as he has been involved in at least 6 goals directly. Not showing any bad signs for someone his age.

Costacurta: His age doesn't seem to stop him. He plugs
the gaps in our defence whenever we need it and gives a reliable performance each time. Quite slow these days, but has a great knowledge.

Dida: Another awesome year from our Brazilian keeper. Some wonderful saves and matches this season have propelled him into the top 5 in Europe. Is very reliable and does wonderful things quite often.

Fiori: Our 3rd keeper who has only played a handful of minutes. Like all 3rd keepers, is rarely used and is dispensible, but his experience could be useful to the team and some players.

Gattuso: Maintained that level that he achieved last year, and has added a bit more skill to his game. He has even scored and assisted a goal. The only blemish is his red card against Ajax. Very important player and loved by the fans.

Inzaghi: Has been injured for most of the season and therefore hasn't played much. Has only scored a few goals, albeit some important ones. With the way we are going, he isn't going to be relied upon as much as last season.

Kaka`: What an exciting youngster! Scored 8 goals and these have been very important and splendid goals. The fans love him and so does the coach, as he has used him quite a lot right from the start.

Kaladze: An up and down season interrupted by injuries and personal problems. Hasn't played regularly enough this season, but when he does is usually of good service. His attacking game hasn't been as good as last season.

Laursen: Quite an average season so far. Shown that he isn't going to be our next centre back. Has had some good performances, but several bad ones. Seems happy to stay as a reserve player.

Maldini: Il Capitano has continued his awesome career with another excellent campaign. Doesn't show any signs of slowing down and is very important to our defence and team in general. Only blemish was his red card.

Nesta: The world's best defender has lived up to his reputation. Seems comfortable at the club and is an absolutely vital player. He scored against Roma last week with a nice header, and makes some nice runs up forward every now and then.

Pancaro: A smart signing by the club, as he has been solid on the left. Right from the start he was impressive and although his attack is below average, still makes runs forward and provides that option. Also scored the winner last week.

Pirlo: This year has been spectacular for Andrea, who seems to be set in his defensive playmaker role. Has really stepped up from last season and gives the midfield that all important edge. Passing is his specialty.

Redondo: Limited appearances from him, but they have usually been a joy to watch. He shows glimpses of that old Redondo who dominated a few years ago. A strong presence and very good with the feet. A good squad player to haveSeedorf:[/.

Rui Costa: Another goood season, filled with many assists and nice plays. Finally scored a goal which could be the start of more. Has developed a partnership alongside Kaka` and this seems to be working out well for all parties involved.

Seedorf: An inconsistant year for Clarence. Has had some shockers, but also some blinders. No goals thus far, but several assists and when on his game, gives the midfield a great attacking option.

Serginho: Not as effective as last season. Has started every now and then and appeared as a sub too. Played well as a left back, but I haven't been too impressed when he played midfield. Still, our best crosser of the ball and has had a couple of assists.

Shevchenko: The man! Our best and most important player this season. 17 goals all up, including some vital ones too. Is re-juvinated and ready to take on the world. He will be the key to our success/es.

Simic: Hasn't played much due to Cafu's arrival. Decent without being excellent or bad. Hasn't been tested as a replacement centre back which many fans would like to see. Good back-up though, as you usually get what you see.

Tomasson: A splendid year for him, even if he continues to be a back-up. Has really improved, especially lately where we have seen some nice moves result in goals. Always able to score, similar to Inzaghi. Has scored about 6 or 7 goals thus far.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
COACH

Ancelotti: Seems to have sorted out that mentality problem against smaller teams, and maintains a good record against his rivals. Has out-coached many other top coaches in Italy and continues to pick a great team and formation.

MANAGEMENT

Didn't spend much money, but made some excellent re-inforcements to this already strong team. Kaka` has been a revelation and we didn't pay a hell of a lot of money. Cafu and Pancaro have been extremely useful as left and right back. They knew hat was needed and got it spot on. Out-loaned Roque, released Ba and released Rivaldo, but none of these have affected us. Excellent I must say.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Bravo Shev:cool:
I say we must try going for the lot, very difficult but worth a try;)

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TEAM

Still competing strongly on all fronts. Lost the Italian Super Cup and Intercontinental Cup on penalties, but won the European Super Cup.

Sitting pretty in the Serie A, only 1 point behind the leaders and with a game in hand. The defense has held up well, as proven by the statistics. Our attack has been good too. We are beating big teams, medium and small teams, which is what is required to win the Scudetto. We are more than capable of winning it and it would be awesome if we do.

The Champions League hasn't been as easy as last time, but we are still there. After a difficult start, we qualified on top and now face Sparta Prague in the round of 16. Not this most difficult opponent, but you can't write anyone off. Many good teams are still available so it will be interesting. We are the reigning champions so when push comes to shove, I think we will be in the mix again.

We are in the semi finals of the Coppa Italia, after some good opponents. We dispatched Roma quite easily however, thanks to our always reliable back-up players. We face Lazio and then the winner of Juventus and Inter, so it won't be easy to win. We won it last year and can do it again. Not as important, but still a nice achievement.

Overall, we are capable of winning either the Scudetto or Champions League, or even both. We are one of the most balanced teams in the world and are strong in every department. The mentality is right and the results are coming through. Our gun players are firing so anything is possible.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Same as Andy Christ. Good.

The meagre one goal wins has been worrying me still (except the Ancona game).

The scoring in CL has also been below standard.

We should win one of the major trophies. But at this moment the scudetto looks more realistic.

BTW, good post Steve. :) :cool:

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many one goal wins have we had in the Serie A? (I assume you mean 1-0 wins only, and are referring to scoring as our problem)

Small Wins
Lazio 1-0
Empoli 1-0
Brescia 1-0

Bigger Wins
Ancona 2-0
Bologna 2-1
Lecce 3-0
Inter 3-1
Sampdoria 3-0
Modena 2-0
Roma 2-1
Reggina 3-1
Ancona 5-0

Draws
Perugia 1-1
Juventus 1-1
Parma 0-0

Losses
Udinese 1-2

So it isn't as bad as it seems. Of course, if you include the Champions League then it is a bit different.

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
A very tough call ...

Based on the chances we have for all three right now - it shopuld be "excelent". I think we do as good as it could be. I dont think you can be any better really. If Sienna game goes as planned - we will be leading Serie A with 5 ots in front of Juve; qualified with a game in hand in teh CL and will face Sparta P; outrageously supirior over Roma in Coppa and now Lazio becnh shoud not be much better than Roma's.

However, I voted "good" for one reason only ... TOKYO! :fero: I wanted this one, it was ours ...

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
The Shev said:
How many one goal wins have we had in the Serie A? (I assume you mean 1-0 wins only, and are referring to scoring as our problem)

As you can see from my previous post I meant one goal wins not winning by 1-0. That includes the 2-1s as well.

I know our scores.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Excellent analysis The Shev!:thumbsup::cool:

I'd say so far, it's been a great season and it could have been excellent had we won, as we should have, in Tokyo, but honestly, there's nothing we should be complaining about. We have the most complete and best squad on earth and we have a very realistic shot at winning it all. We have a very reliable keeper, a defence that almost reminds me of the one of the Gli Invincibili, a super midfield which oozes class and a deadly striking force. Add to this our secret weapon that can destroy and annihiliate anyteam, at any given time: SHEVA! and you obtain all the ingredients for a memorable season crowned with at least 2 titles if not 3...;)

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!!!:proud::heart: :star::cool:

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Payman, one can hardly name Sheva as our Secret weapon. :D

He is the first person from our team that the opposition tries to neutralize. Although rarely succeding. ;)

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Thanks, Shev, great analysis. I didn't vote in the poll because I would have had to say "excellent" so far, and that might have jinxed us. :)

I picked up this little critique in SoccerAge:

If I had to give an award for the best team in Europe so far it has got to be AC Milan. Last season their performances may have been more spectacular than this year, but there is a consistency and confidence of Carlos Ancelotti's side that must be respected. Their Champions' League campaign was by no means perfect, and they did lose the World Club Cup to Boca on penalties (in a match they had the slight better of), but they are on course to capture the three major competitions they are in (Serie A, Champions' League, and the Coppa Italia). They looked good against Roma in midweek dumping Capello and co. out of the Coppa, and also had an exhilarating final 20 minutes on Sunday against Ancona by scoring five goals in that time to come through with an emphatic victory. Last season they started off fast and then came down to earth though they still captured the CL. What can you say about this season then? They begun relatively slowly and now seem to be getting stronger as the season carries on. I don't imagine any side even the Manchesters and Reals will fancy going up against this Milan.
http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/s8540.html

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
I know Sid, what I meant was that he is the supreme weapon to make us unstoppable and win it all. I know that everyone wants to stop him. As they say, there's a BIG difference between wanting to stop someone and being able to do it...;)

And to stop Sheva from scoring, good luck...:) I think the only defence whom can truly stop him and silence him is if he were to play against Milan's defence...:tongue::D As we all know, ain't gonna happen anytime soon...:D

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
San Siro said:
I know Sid, what I meant was that he is the supreme weapon to make us unstoppable and win it all. I know that everyone wants to stop him. As they say, there's a BIG difference between wanting to stop someone and being able to do it...;)

And to stop Sheva from scoring, good luck...:) I think the only defence whom can truly stop him and silence him is if he were to play against Milan's defence...:tongue::D As we all know, ain't gonna happen anytime soon...:D

Cheers.;)
Amen to that. :angel:

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
crap

i hope this isnt a jinx, like the roma lads and their poll

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
pRiNcE said:
Excellent stuff, Shev.