Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a tale from an old school member and microphonist of one of our organised groups at San Siro, Brigate Rossonere. He explains why we still currently sing "you'll never walk alone" during Milan matches. Sorry for the rough translation, it's mine

" There's a english song, that we currently sing in Curva Sud, which is the Liverpool traditional anthem and it's from 60..It says:

Walk on walk on
with hope in your heart
and you'll never walk alone
you'll never walk alone

There was a guy, in our group (tells the narrator) that had a record with all these songs, and he was froma group which isn't used to use magaphones: the songs in that group starts spontaneously..In this record there was this *You'll never walk alone*, which is a very emotional anthem and we liked that so much that we tried to learn it, but due to our bad knowledge of the language we had to write the lyrics down ; the guys, at the beginning, said *welcome* instead of *Walk on*, so we explained the guys what was the meaning of the words until we learnt it.
This song made us famous all over Europe because we sang it when the Liverpool supporters died in Sheffield. It happened by saturday and we had the match against Real Madrid on sunday (that we won 5-1, a truly memorable moment)

We prepared a banner "SHEFFIELD: YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE" and we waited for the minute of silence, and we were prepared to sing the song and put the banner our, but the referee whistled the sudden start of the match. We put out the banner believing it was over but the referee suddenly stops the players and tributes 1 minute of silence in honour of the victims. I (narrator) was there, without even a micro but i standed up on the barrier and we started with this song *You'll never walk alone* without micro. I have the video at home and all the players are there standing up and you see the whole stadium standing up, and clapping.
You can clearly see the referee staring at me because the song can be clearly be heard by the pitch and the whole Curva starts the song with great powerful voice. When i tell this i'm still proud and emotive; on english telly they shooted it for 6 months and we got bags of letters from England: "you're friends of us and you'll be forever"

Tales from Brigate Rossonere

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Great effort in translating this moving story :shades: :sigh: :shades:
Bravo Gio :star:

P.S. The game ended 5-0 not 5-1 ;)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
brilliant read that,I've heard about it before ,its well known to most liverool fans and always appreciated . :thmbup:

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
That is a true story, and even with my dislike for Italian football as a whole I have a soft spot for Milan and their fans. In our moment of pain your fans reached out and that will never be forgotten.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diavolo said:
Great effort in translating this moving story :shades: :sigh: :shades:
Bravo Gio :star:

P.S. The game ended 5-0 not 5-1 ;)
I just translated his message :D . It's not my fault

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
GioCurvaSud said:
I just translated his message :D . It's not my fault
Pardon me then :embarass:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The way Milan played in 88-90 including that 5:0 thrashing of Real still gives me goosebumps. And that was a brilliant gesture from Milan fans. Hope it continues in same spirit.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Milan's the only team i somewhat like in Italy, that is one classy side.

wouldn't fancy taking them on in UCL tho Karrma, even friends must determine a victor. ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I love AC Milan they are my Italian team.

Would love to meet them in the UCL.Would be a great game between 2 sides who have 2 sets of passionate fans.

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
I must admit I have a soft spot for Liverpool in the EPL. In terms of honours, it's quite even between the 2 teams too, with Milan with 17 league titles & 6 European Champion's Cups, while Liverpool has 18 & 4.

karrmadamaii said:
I hope we meet them somewhere in the UCL quarters or semis. I've a feeling we'll go that far in the UCL this season.
Owenization-NRG said:
Milan's the only team i somewhat like in Italy, that is one classy side.
Daniel_LFC said:
I love AC Milan they are my Italian team.

Would love to meet them in the UCL.Would be a great game between 2 sides who have 2 sets of passionate fans.
If this is what you folks wish for, then see you in Istanbul :shades:
Good luck!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm watching your team's results..i liked that comeback in CL with the late Gerrard cracker!

Well done

·
Registered
300 Posts
meeting milan in the ucl no can do cos i really do not want to leave the best club competition in the world at least not for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts