Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milan got knocked out of the CL today. We're now in a fight against Juve and Milan for the last 2 CL spots, and both Juve and Milan have nothing to fight for this season than their placement in the Serie A table (while we still are fighting in UEFA Cup). All three clubs are carrying a couple of knocks. Going to be a very interesting finish to the season. Hope we're able to pull off something amazing (ie- finish in one of those CL spots while continuing to advance in the UEFA Cup) because if we do then we'll be in very good shape going into the next season.

At least we know that we'll get into the CL if we finish 4th (and don't have the possibility of getting 4th place ahead of Milan, but Milan going to the CL instead of us anyway because they'd be defending champs).

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
It's not going to be easy, but a win against Juve (or losing points vs Atalanta, Milan, ...) can prove to be fundamental.

I want to finnish 3rd and win the Uefa Cup :happy:

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Tell me about it!

But yes, this is big news for us as Milan being in the Champions League was a problem for us as 4th was going to be a risky bet. This gives us an opportunity to finish 3rd whilst maintaing the possible cushion at 4th.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Tell me about it!

But yes, this is big news for us as Milan being in the Champions League was a problem for us as 4th was going to be a risky bet. This gives us an opportunity to finish 3rd whilst maintaing the possible cushion at 4th.
As you said, CRS - good and bad, it seems. Yes, there's a cushion, but if Milan find their form (and with all of that talent one has to think they eventually WILL find their form), we will really have to do well to keep pace.

In the end though - what a great position to be in. Four points into 4th place, all to play for in the UEFA Cup, 1 point back of gobbi.....life is grand. For now :)

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
The journey will be long and hard, but we have everything in our hands.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You could have done with Milan going through, an extra distraction etc. But now all they have left to play for is the league so it'll be tough, especially with away games against Napoli, Udinese and Inter coming up.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
smart coaching is whats needed here and we have a master. shut down the games and earn the point where we don't really have a chance of winning, ie Inter, whilst going all guns against those where we can, ie Napoli.

this is going to be tough but we can't look over our shoulders the whole time - take one game at a time and see where we go.
UEFA progression would be grand but i'd rather qualify for the CL. I think now its time to show the depth of our squad, Lupoli anyone?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could have done with Milan going through, an extra distraction etc. But now all they have left to play for is the league so it'll be tough, especially with away games against Napoli, Udinese and Inter coming up.
That's exactly why I started the thread. We would have been better served if Milan had advanced and had to fight on 2 fronts. One good thing is that both Milan and Juve have some tough matches coming up as they both have to face Inter and also have still to play each other (and if they both manage to beat Inter, though it would be horrible for us, makes the race for the top of Serie A interesting as that would cover the 6 points Roma are currently behind Inter with Roma, after this weekend, having already played all of their matches against "top" teams this season).

Right now I have to say going into this weekend I'm the biggest Roma fan (they play Milan).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Remaining games:

JUVENTUS
Genoa (a)
Napoli (h)
Empoli (a)
Inter (a)
Parma (h)
Palermo (a)
Milan (h)
Atalanta (a)
Lazio (h)
Siena (a)
Catania (h)
Sampdoria (a)

FIORENTINA
Siena (a)
Genoa (h)
Napoli (a)
Lazio (h)
Udinese (a)
Reggina (h)
Inter (a)
Palermo (h)
Sampdoria (h)
Cagliari (a)
Parma (h)
Torino (a)

MILAN
Empoli (a)
Roma (a)
Sampdoria (h)
Torino (a)
Atalanta (h)
Cagliari (h)
Juventus (a)
Reggina (h)
Livorno (a)
Inter (h)
Napoli (a)
Udinese (h)

LEAGUE TABLE
Juventus 48
Fiorentina 47
Milan 43

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Games with each other between top teams is not most important. Important is to get 3 points from games against lower teams.

Juventus had made some very crappy games during second half of season:
12 Jan, 19:30 Catania 1 - 1 Juventus
20 Jan, 14:00 Juventus 0 - 0 Sampdoria
27 Jan, 19:30 Livorno 1 - 3 Juventus
3 Feb, 14:00 Juventus 1 - 1 Cagliari
10 Feb, 14:00 Udinese 1 - 2 Juventus
16 Feb, 19:30 Juventus 1 - 0 Roma
23 Feb, 19:30 Reggina 2 - 1 Juventus
26 Feb, 19:30 Juventus 0 - 0 Torino
02.03.08 Juventus 2 - 3 Fiorentina
total: 13 points from 9 games

2 good wins against top teams Roma and Udinese but draw against Reggina, Cagliari, Catania and loss against Reggina is far from acceptable. I hope they will continue like that ;)

Milan:
13 Jan, 19:30 Milan 5 - 2 Napoli
20 Jan, 14:00 Udinese 0 - 1 Milan
23 Jan, 19:30 Atalanta 2 - 1 Milan*
27 Jan, 14:00 Milan 2 - 0 Genoa
30 Jan, 19:30 Reggina 0 - 1 Milan*
3 Feb, 19:30 Fiorentina 0 - 1 Milan
10 Feb, 14:00 Milan 1 - 0 Siena
13 Feb, 19:30 Milan 1 - 1 Livorno*
16 Feb, 17:00 Parma 0 - 0 Milan
24 Feb, 19:30 Milan 2 - 1 Palermo
27 Feb, 19:30 Catania 1 - 1 Milan
1 Mar, 19:30 Milan 1 - 1 Lazio
Good games against Viola, Udinese and Palermo but draw against Parma, Catania and Lazio is not so good.
21 points from 9 games is lot better but 9 points from last 5 games less than expected (first half of season not counted)

Fiorentina:
13 Jan, 14:00 Parma 1 - 2 Fiorentina
19 Jan, 19:30 Fiorentina 2 - 1 Torino
27 Jan, 14:00 Empoli 0 - 2 Fiorentina
9 Feb, 17:00 Atalanta 2 - 2 Fiorentina
17 Feb, 14:00 Fiorentina 2 - 1 Catania
24 Feb, 14:00 Roma 1 - 0 Fiorentina
27 Feb, 19:30 Fiorentina 1 - 0 Livorno
2 Mar, 14:00 Juventus 2 - 3 Fiorentina
19 points from 9 games

We have lost big games against Milan and Roma, got only 1 point from Atalanta game but unlike Milan and Juventus we took max. points from games we have to win + extra good game against Juve.
--------------------------------------------------------

1) Juventus - They haven't had any UEFA duties but still their pace is lowering and winning some good games against top teams doesn't mean it's enough. Next games against surprise teams Genoa and Napoli will be important and I hope they lose both ones.
2) Milan - No UEFA duties anymore but seems that World Club Championship is still in legs and I hope that injury worries plus bad form of some players means that teams like Roma, Atalanta, Napoli, Inter and Udinese will take s**t out of them.
3) Fiorentina - We have lot better start of season second half than last year and despite not very good play in some games have takes max. points which is what we need. I hope won against Juve gives us extra motivation to take down Everton and not to slip in games against lower level teams.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Games with each other between top teams is not most important. Important is to get 3 points from games against lower teams.

Juventus had made some very crappy games during second half of season:
12 Jan, 19:30 Catania 1 - 1 Juventus
20 Jan, 14:00 Juventus 0 - 0 Sampdoria
27 Jan, 19:30 Livorno 1 - 3 Juventus
3 Feb, 14:00 Juventus 1 - 1 Cagliari
10 Feb, 14:00 Udinese 1 - 2 Juventus
16 Feb, 19:30 Juventus 1 - 0 Roma
23 Feb, 19:30 Reggina 2 - 1 Juventus
26 Feb, 19:30 Juventus 0 - 0 Torino
02.03.08 Juventus 2 - 3 Fiorentina
total: 13 points from 9 games

2 good wins against top teams Roma and Udinese but draw against Reggina, Cagliari, Catania and loss against Reggina is far from acceptable. I hope they will continue like that ;)

Milan:
13 Jan, 19:30 Milan 5 - 2 Napoli
20 Jan, 14:00 Udinese 0 - 1 Milan
23 Jan, 19:30 Atalanta 2 - 1 Milan*
27 Jan, 14:00 Milan 2 - 0 Genoa
30 Jan, 19:30 Reggina 0 - 1 Milan*
10 Feb, 14:00 Milan 1 - 0 Siena
13 Feb, 19:30 Milan 1 - 1 Livorno*
16 Feb, 17:00 Parma 0 - 0 Milan
24 Feb, 19:30 Milan 2 - 1 Palermo
27 Feb, 19:30 Catania 1 - 1 Milan
1 Mar, 19:30 Milan 1 - 1 Lazio
Good games against Viola, Udinese and Palermo but draw against Parma, Catania and Lazio is not so good.
21 points from 9 games is lot better but 9 points from last 5 games less than expected (first half of season not counted)

Fiorentina:
13 Jan, 14:00 Parma 1 - 2 Fiorentina
19 Jan, 19:30 Fiorentina 2 - 1 Torino
27 Jan, 14:00 Empoli 0 - 2 Fiorentina
9 Feb, 17:00 Atalanta 2 - 2 Fiorentina
17 Feb, 14:00 Fiorentina 2 - 1 Catania
24 Feb, 14:00 Roma 1 - 0 Fiorentina
27 Feb, 19:30 Fiorentina 1 - 0 Livorno
2 Mar, 14:00 Juventus 2 - 3 Fiorentina
19 points from 9 games

We have lost big games against Milan and Roma, got only 1 point from Atalanta game but unlike Milan and Juventus we took max. points from games we have to win + extra good game against Juve.
--------------------------------------------------------

1) Juventus - They haven't had any UEFA duties but still their pace is lowering and winning some good games against top teams doesn't mean it's enough. Next games against surprise teams Genoa and Napoli will be important and I hope they lose both ones.
2) Milan - No UEFA duties anymore but seems that World Club Championship is still in legs and I hope that injury worries plus bad form of some players means that teams like Roma, Atalanta, Napoli, Inter and Udinese will take s**t out of them.
3) Fiorentina - We have lot better start of season second half than last year and despite not very good play in some games have takes max. points which is what we need. I hope won against Juve gives us extra motivation to take down Everton and not to slip in games against lower level teams.
Very nice review!
Thanx Maarek

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now I have to say going into this weekend I'm the biggest Roma fan (they play Milan).
Looked at the schedule again, and it seems I was off a week. Milan are playing Empoli this weekend. Roma is next weekend for them. OK, this weekend I'll be a fan of our neighbors. Next week I'll be a fan of Roma.
:)

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Our boys are playing with a LOT of confidence right now. I wouldn't want to be the one betting against us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts