Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday 22nd May 2002

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has insisted his club are not in the running for Parma's Fabio Cannavaro, and tipped Juventus to sign the centre-back.

Cannavaro looked set to join Juve earlier this month in a player-plus-cash deal but the move was put on hold after Parma sports director Arrigo Sacchi failed to decide which player he wanted in return.

Speculation was rife that Milan were preparing a bid for the Italy stopper, but Galliani has ruled out any move on financial grounds.

Parma have previously said the bidding should start at £50 million, although Lazio were quoted £16 million plus Paolo ***** in July 2001.

"He is much too expensive," said Galliani. "Juve are richer than us and have a good budget. Here in Milan nobody is rich.

"But I don't think Milan need to buy defenders. We have five central defenders, four of whom are at the World Cup.

"Only two central defenders play in a match, so we are confident we have a good defence."

Cannavaro, who is currently in Japan preparing for the World Cup with the Italy squad, said: "The only important thing for me is to join a team who can fight for the Scudetto and in Europe.

"That's why I will leave Parma. If Juventus are favourites to sign me, I'm happy.

"I have a lot of friends in that team and I played with Buffon and Thuram for many years."



---------------------------------------------



Milan leave Cannavaro chase


The Rossoneri have again conceded that £37m rated Fabio Cannavaro is beyond their means, leaving the defender to Juventus.


“Juve are rich and can afford to spend money,” said Vice-President Adriano Galliani.


“As for us, we have Paolo Maldini, Jose Chamot, Roque Junior and Martin Laursen, all of whom will be in the World Cup. I’d say our defence is sorted.”


Milan Coach Carlo Ancelotti disagrees with that particular theory. “We certainly need a new central defender,” warned the tactician, “but I and the club are working on it.”


This is the second time in several days that Galliani has publicly ruled out a bid for the Parma stopper due to financial difficulties.


“Once again we have ended the season in the red and if the club is able to carry on at all it is thanks to the enthusiasm of President Silvio Berlusconi,” he said.


“The market prices must drop, and drastically, because we cannot spend £37m on a player including his wages.”


Juventus have hit back at Galliani’s hints that Cannavaro would be set for a move up north.


“No-one here is rich,” assured President Vittorio Chiusano, “but these are the current market prices.”


Bianconeri director Antonio Giraudo added, “At these prices I fear that Alessandro Nesta and Cannavaro will remain at their clubs.”


Cannavaro himself is watching the situation closely despite his presence in Japan for the 2002 World Cup.


“Juventus or Milan is fine by me,” said the Neapolitan. “These are two great clubs. If you say that Juve have the advantage then that makes me happy.”
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
i hope this is for sure this time.........until he signs with us.....i don't wanna get my hopes too high.....with him....thuram, tudor...and buffon.......we look very good at the back!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,028 Posts
i love the fact that he is almost certain of joining, but i hate the fact that we are going to lose one or two young players in the process like zambro and maresca, or zenoni and brighi.

hopefully Sacchi gets tacchinardi or a player who isnt needed at juve or suited at juve anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,028 Posts
just thinking about it, with the cash we get from thuram, the rest of the 5 million pounds shouldnt be a problem really.

and we just won the scudetto, we should have a lot more cash now to buy Mutu, Doni, Placente etc.....i know that will cost a lot, but we have to realise that we can sell some players and get cash.

players like Carini who would get a reasonable 10 million pounds, Tacchinardi who isnt favoured by lippi that much would be worth a fair bit as well.

i just dont understand why Moggi always says we cant buy players etc....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
CUG said:
just thinking about it, with the cash we get from thuram, the rest of the 5 million pounds shouldnt be a problem really.

and we just won the scudetto, we should have a lot more cash now to buy Mutu, Doni, Placente etc.....i know that will cost a lot, but we have to realise that we can sell some players and get cash.

players like Carini who would get a reasonable 10 million pounds, Tacchinardi who isnt favoured by lippi that much would be worth a fair bit as well.

I was thinking the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,028 Posts
well, mutu deal is off, we cant afford him.......what a load horse****!!!

thuram is leaving cuz he hates the right back position.

so why are we getting another central defender in cannavaro???

i mean, i love to get him, but at the same time, is he going to play right back???

it really doesnt make sense the whole thuram leaving and cannavaro joining transfer.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top