Xtratime Community banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
If Raiola was intent on letting Donnarumma enter the final 6 months with no renewal, there's nothing management could've done. If Donnarumma leaves it's because he wanted to leave. Let's not blame management and excuse the constant shitty behavior from Donnarumma and his agent.

I won't blame management if they refused to roll over and give Raiola whatever he wants. That's bad management and encourages other agents and players to do the same.

This regular drama is all Donnarumma fault. If he really wanted to stay at Milan his whole career he could get another agent, he would somehow survive on 6m a year. The only possible goal of this drama is to either bleed Milan dry or go to another club.

·
Scudetto
23,589 Posts
If he wants to leave then he wants to leave, that's not on the management.

What will be on the management is if they cannot find a solution that is worth his value.

Raiolo is starting at €10m it doesn't mean that ia what he will ultimately settle with.

He is threading on thin ice because if he continues like this he will have less friends in the football world. I also believe he won't be able to bully Maldini like he did newbies like Fasobelli.

I ultimately think Donna will stay but with each passing day that he doesn't sign I am less and less confident.

In other news, seems Hakan is done 👍🏻

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
If Raiola was intent on letting Donnarumma enter the final 6 months with no renewal, there's nothing management could've done. If Donnarumma leaves it's because he wanted to leave. Let's not blame management and excuse the constant shitty behavior from Donnarumma and his agent.

I won't blame management if they refused to roll over and give Raiola whatever he wants. That's bad management and encourages other agents and players to do the same.

This regular drama is all Donnarumma fault. If he really wanted to stay at Milan his whole career he could get another agent, he would somehow survive on 6m a year. The only possible goal of this drama is to either bleed Milan dry or go to another club.
The really bad situation that we are encouraging is that valuable players allow their contracts to run out without renewing, or reach the point where they have all the leverage because the contract is about to run out. That is literally the worst scenario for the club. Asking for higher contracts is what they all do, all the time. By allowing the situation to reach the limit, the club drastically limits their leverage. We could have always said "alright, **** off, we'll cash in". Now we don't have that, nor all of the obvious advantages that long-term contracts give clubs.

Calhanoglu's agent is not Raiola, for example. It's some guy who also represents Kevin Volland, Mattias Ginter, Kolasinac, and players of that level. As I said, all cases are different, but if there's one thing we have encouraged agents to do, it's what they're already doing.

Silently keeping the fat agent happy every 2-3 years so that the superstar player who is valued at 60M Euro will sign a new contract is not rolling over. It's preventing the potential disaster of losing him for free. It's how clubs keep players.

Reactions: zoo

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
My point is for all we know Maldini offered 9.9m and Raiola told him to go suck an egg unless he gets 10m. If Donnarumma wanted to wait until he had all the leverage, there's nothing we could do. His performances have kept up, there will be a bidding war, and he will make a ton of money. He is acting in his own interest to maximize his own profit, she clearly feels no responsibility to the club that created him. That is his decision, let's not absolve him by blaming others based on zero public information. The only thing we know for sure is that Donnarumma chooses to keep doing this to the club and fans.

Hakan made the same decision, but his gamble backfired because he's probably going to be worth less than otherwise at the end of the season due to his poor form.

Is it possible Maldini sat on his ass and did nothing to secure Hakan and Donna? Sure. But we have no reason to think that's the case. The only information we do have suggests the players are threatening to leave and create media drama if they don't get the money they want, during a critical part of the season, letting their fans and teammates down.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
My point is for all we know Maldini offered 9.9m and Raiola told him to go suck an egg unless he gets 10m. If Donnarumma wanted to wait until he had all the leverage, there's nothing we could do. His performances have kept up, there will be a bidding war, and he will make a ton of money. He is acting in his own interest to maximize his own profit, she clearly feels no responsibility to the club that created him. That is his decision, let's not absolve him by blaming others based on zero public information. The only thing we know for sure is that Donnarumma chooses to keep doing this to the club and fans.

Hakan made the same decision, but his gamble backfired because he's probably going to be worth less than otherwise at the end of the season due to his poor form.

Is it possible Maldini sat on his ass and did nothing to secure Hakan and Donna? Sure. But we have no reason to think that's the case. The only information we do have suggests the players are threatening to leave and create media drama if they don't get the money they want, during a critical part of the season, letting their fans and teammates down.
I agree with most you said. But, won't agree that the management didn't have amu choice if they didn't want to renew. The management doesn't have a choice now, but they did have last summer until maybe 31 December 2020. Paolo has always said there is time to renew... It is simple, last summer sit down with them and discuss the renewal and if you see they will insist on a sum you are not prepared to pay than cash in on him. That is the only objection I have. Why risk losing your most expensive player for free?! We at least could have gotten 30m for him in the summer, and with that could have signed a decent gk and could even bought some other reinforcements.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You're right but you're assuming Maldini did nothing. I'm just saying he may have made a beautiful offer that got rejected because Donna wants to leave, we just don't know. So why criticize based on the lack of information? The only information we do have suggests Donna is kind of a dick so I'll focus on that.

Also if we sold him for 30m last summer you, me, and every Milan fan on the planet would have been raging at Maldini. So he can't win.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
One of the funniest things I've read here is the claim that management can't do anything when the player and his agent seem unwilling to renew. So you fold your arms, wait for the contract to run out and be at their mercy? There's nothing to do? You have no power to do anything?. Please give me a break!

I understand some of you guys desire to shield/exonerate Maldini, but c'mon! What happened to drawing a line? What happened to giving an ultimatum, putting a deadline, the moment you noticed the antics they were playing? What happened to, "this is my final offer, take it or we cash in"?. And in the event they refuse, what happened to threatening to freeze out the player? Or any other threat for that matter? We've seen similar cases over and over and over. Didn't Fassobelli did that to Raiola? The most recent being the Napoli-Milik case. Because this is like a war - if they play dirty, you counter. Especially when dealing with devils like Raiola. You wanna play the gentleman card with him? The club is bigger than Donnarumma. This situation shouldn't have been allowed to reach this stage, it's a blunder by the management, no two ways about it. So it's a big laugh to continue talking about "management can't do anything because the players were unwilling to renew". It's too lame and undermines the intelligence and power of the management of a big club like Milan.

I will repeat this, you don't allow your most priced asset to run down his contract and be in a position to leave for free under the guise of, "we couldn't do anything because they were not willing to negotiate". It's a mistake, big one. I just hope they learn from this.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You're right but you're assuming Maldini did nothing. I'm just saying he may have made a

Also if we sold him for 30m last summer you, me, and every Milan fan on the planet would have been raging at Maldini. So he can't win.
No. No one will blame Maldini or the management for selling Donnarumma for 30m provided it's clear he's not willing to renew, his contract was running out and he refused to accept management proposals/offer. Once that's public and clear, no one will blame anyone. The Fassobelli was the most criticized management in recent times and yet the few or only times fans agree with or support them was when they fought Raiola and arm-twisted him. I remember fans even asking the club to sell Donnarumma. I don't think anyone would blame Maldini for cashing in on Donnarumma when it became clear it was either that or losing him for free.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Italian newspaper Libero claims Chelsea could tempt Gianluigi Donnarumma to leave Milan as a free agent for €10.5m per season wages.

The goalkeeper just turned 22 last month and already has over 200 Serie A appearances under his belt, having made his debut as a 16-year-old.

However, the various issues at Milan mean his contract is due to expire in June 2021, so he could technically already agree terms with another club for a free transfer next season.
--

Here we go

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
There are reasons why these transfer dramas, including Donna's previous one, take place a year before the contract expiration. The pandemic clearly played a role in this as everything was insane in June-July 2020, but ultimately that is the management's work. Of course letting the contract expire is a major **** up. We could have disagreed whether they would have been right to sell, but now there's no discussion. Risking the possibility that the squad's highest valued player leaves for free is just awful.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
This has taken so long; either stay or sell. Totslly unacceptable to stretch this till date. Kessie & Bennacer deserved a pay raise for their contribution.

How true us that Inter has missed installments of Hakimi & Lukaku?

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
No. No one will blame Maldini or the management for selling Donnarumma for 30m provided it's clear he's not willing to renew, his contract was running out and he refused to accept management proposals/offer. Once that's public and clear, no one will blame anyone. The Fassobelli was the most criticized management in recent times and yet the few or only times fans agree with or support them was when they fought Raiola and arm-twisted him. I remember fans even asking the club to sell Donnarumma. I don't think anyone would blame Maldini for cashing in on Donnarumma when it became clear it was either that or losing him for free.
Hmmmm....Fassobelli os the one who gave a huge increment to Donnarumma salary. Go figure.
More like they give in to Raiola.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
Blaming this management is just retard 😃
There are a few situation to look at...

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Donnarumma apparently rejected another extension offer of 8m. He wants 12 lol. Grossly overrated keeper imo. And he seems to agree himself that he’s world class.

Good luck to him.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Isn't 12m significantly more than any other keeper in the world?

He can **** off at this point I'm tired of these antics. The club is bigger than any player. If he cared about the club he wouldn't be doing this every couple years, especially now during a pandemic when every club lost so much money. If he's rejecting 8m then maybe he just wants to leave because that is a shitload for a goalkeeper.

·
Scudetto
23,589 Posts
I've been his biggest fan here and always justify his demands but I don't think he cares about the club or its fans if he is letting this drag on, no matter what Raiola does.

Hugely disappointing.

·
Administrator
11,902 Posts
FFP will change after the pandemic but finances won't automatically improve. A club barely into one season of CL can not and should not increase the wage bill much yet. If there are negative consequences to having a 'worse' keeper at least they won't be on the finances.
Raiola is already fishing for Romagnoli increase too, just today Di Marzio has a piece on that.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
The issue is not really how good is, how he perceives himself, or whether he cares about Milan, but that we could be losing for free a player who is worth a shit ton of money in transfer value that we actually need. If the club deemed him overrated, they could have sold him last summer. The (very costly) mistake is letting this drag so close to the end of the contract.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
I have never seen Donnarumma in s serious top 10 of goalkeepers. Yet he wants to become by far the highest earning keeper on earth. He’s valued at 60-70m because he’s been around since a very young age and still is young, and as I said, very overrated. To me he’s already earning too much now, no fucking way we should be paying close to what he’s asking for. I may be wrong but I think the club who decides to make him the highest earning keeper on earth will regret it. This isn’t the next Buffon. Nowhere near it. We have done what we could. Now let’s go get Kasper Schmeichel 😀

101 - 120 of 157 Posts