Xtratime Community banner
661 - 680 of 1041 Posts

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
Yeah there certainly are several arguments to try something like that: we have very attacking fullbacks who can cover ground, Alexis is arguably not ideal as RW, it could make some room for Tonali, and generally the wealth of CMs (including Pobega?), and all the players who can play as second forwards probably better than as wingers.

It's true that Kessié has grown tremendously since he last played mezzala for us, but I still think he ultimately is more suited to a roaming role and that the right mezzala role kind of boxed him. One of the great things about Kessie is that he actually allows you to play two mids, as he covers so much ground and aspects of the play. For one thing, he actually looked better in the very few moments when he played on the left side rather than the right. The right mezzala is an awkward fit, it really seems to limit what he can do with his range of movement, he essentially only ran in a single direction. A bit like what happened to Kante under Sarri. An all-around box-to-box midfielder used like a Gattuso.

At any rate, all this would be an interesting option to have. As we discussed before, teams often change formations and shape several times during games in ways that fans (especially on TV) don't even notice, so perhaps this has even been tried before by Pioli.

Reactions: Rodriguez

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
If Kessie plays better in a two-man midfield, why not consider a 3-4-3?

rebic ibra saelemakers
theo kessie bennacer calabria
tomori romagnoli kjaer
maignan

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
I read that Pioli was trying that at some point. A bit weak in attack IMO but also why not in the right circumstances.

I'm pretty happy with the current formation as our default though. Especially we buy two players who are real improvements over Hakan and Saelemakers at AMC and AMR, nominally we'll have quite a strong squad, with decent options in every spot (IMO including Conti and Pobega), and with a system the players know well.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
3-5-2 would be ideal seeing Theo further up the line and Tonali making up the mid. A diamond 4 would also be nice.
4-2-3-1 is our default formation. We really need the alternative formation.
Really hate Atalanta dominating the play against us.

The one team we really struggled against last season was Lille in the EL. We were totally bulldozed in both legs.
Nice to watch those matches again.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Renato was a beast in that match; he has finally matured.

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
Seems to be Juve bound.

Like before the summer, if we sign Ilicic for RW I will be quite happy. We 100% also need another AMC, though, and I'm pretty sure we'll get one.

Also, Bennacer has Covid.

·
Scudetto
23,830 Posts
It's very frustrating that we seem to always lose out on deals.

I don't know how good Kaio Jorge is but for the price Juve are reportedly paying I am puzzled why we didn't get him, especially when we were early favorites..

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
Ilicic looking very likely these days. I hope it's Ilicic as the alternative AMR + a starting level AMC.

One interesting aspect would be the physicality of the potential attacking trio:

---Rebic---Zlatan/Giroud---Ilicic---

Not very quick, but very strong.

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
Seems like Hauge to Frankfurt is almost done, for 12M. A bit of a pity that he never really got a chance, but he was always an odd signing considering we had Leao and Rebic and Hakan there. But he was bought for 5.5 and will likely be sold for 12 less than a year later — not too bad.

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
Also, Caldara about lo go on loan to Venezia, it seems with an option. Regardless of how this works for us, it should be interesting to see him play for a team where he should an important player. Hope he says healthy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sources say James is willing to accept pay cut to join Milan. Him and Ziyech would be the best option among the players that we're linking with. These two can gurantee at least 20 goals/assists together and not that old too. I like Ilicic too, especially he is proven in Serie a, but his age though, is a problem. But even if we get him instead of James or Ziyech, still would be upgrade.

On another note I love how new players try to convince their old teammates to join us. Tomori called Giroud, Giroud calls Ziyech and Diaz calls Isco. That's good that they really want this team to develop.

·
Registered
24,369 Posts
Ziyech seems closest to what Pioli would want, a creative player that also work quite hard in pressing. James and Ilicic are classy, but hardly hardworking.

Not sure about todays Isco, there must be a reason he never get to play.

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
Another aspect of this is that all those players, perhaps except Ziyech, would likely be very hard to sell after they play for Milan. All are around 30+ and/or have bad injury records. Ziyech is different but would likely be a loan? From that perspective, Sabitzer or Vlasic might make more sense.

Do you guys think there's still a chance we'll sign two players? I was pretty sure we would, but the more times passes it's less likely, and now Maldini Jr. seems t have been announced as staying to play a role.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Playing a friendly against Valencia right now. Leao and Diaz looked good in the game. Hope we keep Leao. He has that extra quality when playing well.
Castillejo seems to do his best to not attract potential buyers

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Krunic with a shocking challenge. Players fighting. Got a yellow, should have been a red

·
Registered
24,369 Posts
Do you guys think there's still a chance we'll sign two players? I was pretty sure we would, but the more times passes it's less likely, and now Maldini Jr. seems t have been announced as staying to play a role.
I think there is a chance. We been one of the most active teams in Italy and the market been delayed due to Euros. that said, apart from some crazy clubs in England+PSG there is no money floating around. To have a really good season we do need one more creative player.

·
Registered
14,300 Posts
How about Messi for the AMC/AMR role. Galliani would be all over that deal.

661 - 680 of 1041 Posts