Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Meite has to be most annoying midfielder I have watched in my life. He has skills, no doubt about it, but he is the kind of player who loses the ball and doesn't try his best to get it back. At Torino. Maybe in a different club, a top club, he finds the motivations and fights more?
He is a case for Zlatan then

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
Ok, so Paolo and co. as expected found some cheap players that could help the team but it is not a sure thing they would work.

Mandzukic while he was good to have 3-4 years ago, he hasn't played for a year and before that played in Qatar?!

Meite haven't seen in my life play or better said never noticed him play and can't comment on him. But, if it's the case as Toni said of him having the talent but lazy, there is a little hope he could prove helpful.

When I criticised the owners about not investing now to try to win, I was thinking about getting Milik for the reported 15m and maybe a mid in the mould of Modric :)

·
Registered
13,896 Posts
I would also love world class additions in those positions + a proper competitive CB (not a depth signing, competition for Roma) and a proper sub for Theo. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than for the management to smell blood and go all out for the title.

Also it's completely fine to disagree with what the management do under any circumstance -- I think we have all here more often than not "agreed" with horrible transfer campaigns like Mirabelli and criticized wildly successful ones like the one that led to this half season.

But all things considered, it's very hard to argue that this management has so far done anything less than an outstanding job. The club is going in the right direction. Of course a few bad results can (and will) change some aspects of that perception, but I have to say here is so much to appreciate, and after such a long period of being shit, that I have a hard time finding the energy to complain about the things that I think could be better.

Reactions: frankf31

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
With FFP in place; Meite & Manduzic options are fine.

Bennacer ia expected to return by month end & perhaps Krunic too. That way Pioli have rotation options. Meite may adapt our style of play and can turn out good who knows; the right attitude matters.

Zlatans any injury will take time to heal and will only be left with Leao. So Manduzic option makes sense plus having Rebic by side may prove a good motivating factor.

Sometimes change in atmosphere makes a difference; i would closely watch their progress once they joins.

These above operations will cost how much now approx 2 Mio?

·
Registered
215 Posts
If we can get Mandzukic, Meite, & Tomori w/o paying a transfer fee or obligation to buy it's a great deal. Right now, the market is not real due to Covid, and all Milan really needs to finish in the top 4 is depth. I'm confident if we stay healthy we will be in the CL next year. But we need depth. These 3 signings will confirm 4th. Scudetto is another story. But I really don't care about that now. Next year, with CL money, we can start thinking about investing in players to improve our starting 11. And Milan's recruitment will be easier in 6 months when the CL is confirmed.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I would also love world class additions in those positions + a proper competitive CB (not a depth signing, competition for Roma) and a proper sub for Theo. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than for the management to smell blood and go all out for the title...
Aha! That's putting it in perspective. I mean, is it impossible for us to win the title this year? Unlikely, yes, given one of Inter and Juventus is the most likely eventual winner. But we are in with a good shot. Stranger things have been known to happen . So why not go all out, grab this chance. C'mon Elliott, make that extra push, we might or might not have this opportunity again this soon. Like zoo said, a 15m Milik, loanees Meite and a CD might actually do it.

And yeah, thumbs up for management for building this team. I would also give special praise to Pioli - imo he's given the most contribution in our resurgence.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Re Meite : anyone with anything to say about him? What should we expect? (apart from being lazy like Toni mentioned).

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
My theory is that the management believe in the current crop players, simply because they had a very good, no I mean an amazing, 2020 and a good start of the 2021.

Our biggest problem so far has been injuries, bans and covid-19 infections, all of which have led to some players getting tired. So my thinking is that the management is saying that we have a great team that works well and the none of the absentees has a long term injury. They all will be back probably within a month I think? So their priority right now is to get some depth and give Pioli the ability to rotate. Like it or not, it’s pretty clear we want to push in all three competitions. Pioli and the players seem to have the same mantra as I do; that winning breads winning, no matter the competition. Additions to the depth can be done pretty cheap, which is important when the club has had some great losses in the recent years. I mean the club just had losses of 200m, but is still leading the league for 15 rounds now.

I can understand that thinking, and I can’t criticize the management for it nor can I do that if they won’t budge from their valuations. The Meite signing showed that they have indeed plans A to Z and that they work quickly when the selling club agrees to their valuation.

Now the summer will be very interesting if we manage to win something or end up in the top 4. Will the management once again just plug some holes and let the current crop of players taste some CL since many of them haven’t ever played there? That could be a good way to go with considering the locker room right now. It would also help the finances a lot.

Or will they try to get 1-2 stars to try take the team to the next level?

Reactions: van and frankf31

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My theory is that the management believe in the current crop players, simply because they had a very good, no I mean an amazing, 2020 and a good start of the 2021.

Our biggest problem so far has been injuries, bans and covid-19 infections, all of which have led to some players getting tired. So my thinking is that the management is saying that we have a great team that works well and the none of the absentees has a long term injury. They all will be back probably within a month I think? So their priority right now is to get some depth and give Pioli the ability to rotate. Like it or not, it’s pretty clear we want to push in all three competitions. Pioli and the players seem to have the same mantra as I do; that winning breads winning, no matter the competition. Additions to the depth can be done pretty cheap, which is important when the club has had some great losses in the recent years. I mean the club just had losses of 200m, but is still leading the league for 15 rounds now.

I can understand that thinking, and I can’t criticize the management for it nor can I do that if they won’t budge from their valuations. The Meite signing showed that they have indeed plans A to Z and that they work quickly when the selling club agrees to their valuation.

Now the summer will be very interesting if we manage to win something or end up in the top 4. Will the management once again just plug some holes and let the current crop of players taste some CL since many of them haven’t ever played there? That could be a good way to go with considering the locker room right now. It would also help the finances a lot.

Or will they try to get 1-2 stars to try take the team to the next level?
Yeah, you are probably right - without the unfortunate injuries we wouldn't be in serious need of reinforcement. But here we are. Then again in a way it's to be expected. Too many games, what with Europa, Coppa and Seria A. So injuries, fatigue, are to be expected. And I'm not convinced Zlatan would stay fit for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
Talking about depth:

In defense we had 4 senior players: Roma, Kjaer, Muasachio and Duarte ... two of them were badly injured and serie B level players either way. So, the good thing is that Pioli gave a chance to the primavera players who (as I always was saying) cant be worst than those. So, you can't consider Musachio and Duarte as part of the rotation when they suck. Luckily Duarte is gone and Musachio will leave in the summer. Also, lucky that Gabbia after a bad start gained confidence and improved alongside Kjaer. Also Kalulu started badly but improved. Only Romagnoli is going backwards ffs. So, when Kjaer is injured we are left with good prospects and in a very bad form Roma. And that line up wont fly against many teams. The best would have been to get a already established player who could fight for the first team with Roma.

Midfield duo: Kessie and Bennacer are great. Tonali is ok as back up. But after that we have no one and had to play Cala there. Hopefully Meite will be useful, especially since he doesnt have much pressure as he is the 4th choice.

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yeah, you are probably right - without the unfortunate injuries we wouldn't be in serious need of reinforcement. But here we are. Then again in a way it's to be expected. Too many games, what with Europa, Coppa and Seria A. So injuries, fatigue, are to be expected. And I'm not convinced Zlatan would stay fit for the rest of the season.
No, me neither. He has only played 6 games + 10 minutes or so out of 17 Serie A games. There are solutions that have worked very well in his absence and if the management deem Mandzukic to be good enough to give us a hand then I’m all for it. There is a very delicate balance here, you can’t get anybody who will bench Zlatan this season or hinder Leao’s development. An older player with a professional attitude and a hell of a desire to win could do wonders here. Is Mandzukic that guy? Maybe, I’m not convinced right now, but I have faith in the management.

Talking about depth:

In defense we had 4 senior players: Roma, Kjaer, Muasachio and Duarte ... two of them were badly injured and serie B level players either way. So, the good thing is that Pioli gave a chance to the primavera players who (as I always was saying) cant be worst than those. So, you can't consider Musachio and Duarte as part of the rotation when they suck. Luckily Duarte is gone and Musachio will leave in the summer. Also, lucky that Gabbia after a bad start gained confidence and improved alongside Kjaer. Also Kalulu started badly but improved. Only Romagnoli is going backwards ffs. So, when Kjaer is injured we are left with good prospects and in a very bad form Roma. And that line up wont fly against many teams. The best would have been to get a already established player who could fight for the first team with Roma.

Midfield duo: Kessie and Bennacer are great. Tonali is ok as back up. But after that we have no one and had to play Cala there. Hopefully Meite will be useful, especially since he doesnt have much pressure as he is the 4th choice.
Sure, but right now we have 5 defenders. Romagnoli and Kjär who are starters, Gabbia who is injured right now, but who is closest to replace one of the starters, Kalulu who is showing a lot of potential and who IMO should be at least 3rd in the pecking order and then Mussachio who is good enough for the easy EL and Coppa games. Right now 4 of them are available and IMO they are good enough. I do understand to get in one more defender since Mussachio is leaving in the summer and Kjär is getting old, but IMO it’s not a priority with Kalulu getting better in every game.

When it comes to the midfield you forgot Krunic. Calabria only played in the midfield because Krunic got the ’rona. I for one am happy that Krunic will probably not play close to our penalty area again now that Meite will join. Bennacer and Kessie are one of the best midfielders in the league and Tonali is a promising youngster who is still only 20 year old and has a high ceiling IMO. Those 3 are our present and our future, Meite could complement them well, but I haven’t seen him play that much.

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
I didnt forgot Krunic :D Just didnt consider him as a viable choice there.And dont understand why the management hasnt sold him, if the reports are right that Torino wanted him.

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I didnt forgot Krunic :D Just didnt consider him as a viable choice there.And dont understand why the management hasnt sold him, if the reports are right that Torino wanted him.
Yeah, me neither to be fair. But he is used in the midfield by Pioli so what can we do.

And I agree, could've and should've sold him. Maybe he had a place in the team 1-2 years ago, but now we are too good for him.

·
Registered
13,896 Posts
Mandzukic deal done. Big doubts about his form, but he comes with a 6 month contract is a quality, extremely hard working player who should be quite useful.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tomori deal seems done too(pending medical) and Milan are trying to sign Firpo from Barca as a backup to Theo. If true, I don't know what more you could want from a January transfer window. We've strengthened every position we needed to.

It's amazing Milan are still top of the table considering Pioli has only been able to play his preferred starting eleven once this season(versus Napoli).

·
Registered
13,896 Posts
Tomori deal seems done too(pending medical) and Milan are trying to sign Firpo from Barca as a backup to Theo. If true, I don't know what more you could want from a January transfer window. We've strengthened every position we needed to.

It's amazing Milan are still top of the table considering Pioli has only been able to play his preferred starting eleven once this season(versus Napoli).
Yeah really the results so far are ridiculous. How this squad, with all these constant absences, is ten points ahead of Juve (despite having lost to them too!) is just a testament to the different quality of the jobs Pioli and Pirlo are doing.

By the way, I'm more impressed with Kessié every game. What a player. To think so many managers wasted him in that robotic right mezzala role for two full seasons, running up and down the same channel all game... It's not like a few fans (ehem ehem) were saying 24/7 how that role did not fit him at all. Now from that left sided DM role he is dominating the whole pitch, switching the ball to the other side with confidence, etc. Legend in the making if he keeps it up.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yeah, if Tomorrow comes, it will be a pretty good winter mercato. There's talk he might even make it to the Atalanta game. Add to that Firpo, it would be amazing. A big thumbs up for the management.

·
Scudetto
23,514 Posts
Biggest downside is Tomori is only for a short loan but with a massive buyout at EUR30m.

Purely a short-term signing unfortunately. Seems like an interesting prospect.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yeah. Chelsea are the Lazio of England - very difficult to do business with, drives a hard bargain even with their rejects. They are hoping we don't sign him and at 30m it will be tough, depending on how he performs. CL qualification will determine a lot of things. We have Diaz and Dalot to redeem. Personally I'll send both back to their clubs and spend the money elsewhere.

·
Scudetto
23,514 Posts
We don't have options for either, anyway.

Diaz I would buy for the right price (€20m max) while Dalot at this point hasn't shown much to warrant a bid and we'll find many more options for that level of player.

Kalulu is also looking like a great talent but seems more the CB turned LB type instead of a winger-type, which I prefer personally.

For LB looks like we're getting closer to Firpo who I hope could be another gem of a buy. Gonna be tough for him to unseat Theo though.

True about Chelsea. The most annoying part was they didn't want to let Bakayoko go. As if they have any use for him anymore.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts