Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milan land £6.5M Juve defender Iuliano
By John Iannantuono - June 17, 2002

AC Milan have signed Juventus defender, Marco Iuliano, for £6.5 million which will become effective as soon as the World Cup comes to an end.
The Italian international has been contracted to the rossoneri until 2005 and has obtained the same conditions he was receiving while playing for Juve.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:wth:

This means bye bye to Nest/Canna/Lucio. :frownani: :sigh:

I suppose Milan is not in a position anymore to buy super-stars. Without the divine intervation of Uncle Silvio.:eek:

:depress:

On the positive side - Juliano is not that bad. Atleast he is better than the old Chamot. :rolleyes: I certainly hope so.:hopefull:

Ciao

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
milano77, where did u find that? :confused: luliano ain't bad...he could help milan's defense...and should be available at reasonable price...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
oh i found it...

Iuliano Milan deal done Monday 17 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan have agreed terms with Juventus over the proposed transfer of Mark Iuliano.

The latter has been hotly linked with the Rossoneri in recent times and reports suggest that a 10m Euro fee has been ironed out.

The San Siro club have been looking for a new central defender for some time after talks to buy Lilian Thuram (Juventus) and Fabio Cannavaro (Parma) stalled over the respective asking prices.

Sources suggest that Iuliano will be offered a three-year deal and the move will be completed once he agrees personal terms after the World Cup.

The 29-year-old, who signed for Juventus from Salernitana in 1996, could be handed his first World Cup appearance on Tuesday as Italy have Cannavaro suspended.

"I¡¦m ready if required," said the central defender. "I¡¦ve been ready since May 12, the day we got together for the tournament, to be honest."

Italy have been heavily criticised in some quarters for having a lack of quality cover for first choice defenders Fabio Cannavaro and Alessandro Nesta. A claim that Iuliano doesn¡¦t believe is fair.

"I don¡¦t accept the statement that the reserve defenders are not up to the job in hand. After all the Coach picked his players after watching them in the Italian championship and he has chosen the best Italian defenders available."

Asked whether Iuliano was expecting to play in the Second Round game against South Korea, he replied: "It is disappointing to not play even if the most important aspect of the game is that we qualify.

"But then if I play and do well it will be hard for me to accept a place on the bench for the next match."

channel4 ;)

·
Registered
43,414 Posts
It has never been confirmed though it seems very likely ... there is one who won't be surprised here .. Amo! :cool:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
We may get Iulano, but that will not mean that bye-bye Nesta/Canna or any other world class defender...

Stay tuned people...;):tongue:

·
International
8,545 Posts
Iuliano is a very good defender, maybe this past season wasn't his best, but it wasn't Canna's best either and nobody dismisses him.

I'm very happy with this signing and think Iuliano will bring us much needed stability.

·
Administrator
11,898 Posts
San_Siro_1 said:
We may get Iulano, but that will not mean that bye-bye Nesta/Canna or any other world class defender...

Stay tuned people...;):tongue:
I hope you are right because Chamot has already extended his contract (with a pay cut). I can't see a new one even if Billy leaves. They will want to get rid of more than one to get a new top defender. May RJ can be offloaded ;)

·
Registered
43,414 Posts
Payman, brother, stop dreaming will ya ... If we get Iuliano it simply means that this will be it as far as "serious" buys go. We might get some new star in the middle or a 5th forward but that will be it. Galliani will start his old song that "a world class defender as Iuliano, one of the top goal scorers in the WC - JDT, and Redondo :D :D :D are great accusitions and we don't need anyone else" ... and he could be right, by the way.

Of course there is only one big IF when we talk about Milan and it is called Silvio. This is however outside the logic of the market and the reality and it is a personal subjective Silvio's stuff which we cannot predict and cannot tell. Cause it does not follow the logic of the market and the football world ... it is Extra money and Extra power!

So - wake up and smell the coffee ... unless you haven't done this a week ago :howler: :D :dazed: :eek: (just kidding)

·
Registered
13,939 Posts
Stability is the perfect word to describe that guy. He might be boring, but does very few mistakes.
I don´t think they´ll buy someone else.
Only Coloccini!

·
Registered
43,414 Posts
I am really tired of listinening about Collocini ... the guy is too young and couple of good seasons in Spain mean too little.
I think they are doing a good thing to keep him away from the wars and the burn he might get in Seria A at this young age ...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Iuliano is a solid centre-back. He'll never win any awards for player of the season, but he's better than any of the current crop we have, the fee looks quite cheap (important in todays unfortunate financial climate) and because he's already played under Carlo hopefully this should mean he won't take long to get used to Milans system and will be able to perform from day one. I'm happy about this if it does come to fruition, because it makes us stronger. Let's face it, Nesta and Cannovaro were only ever dreams.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I wouldn't give up on Nesta or Cannavaro yet. Parma and Lazio seem very anxious to sell those 2 and they will have to make a compromise one way or the other.

Juliano is a great addition to the team but we still need another top class defender !
Maldini is not good enough anymore. sorry, but if you guys saw the WC games you've had to notice how poor our beloved capitan was.
I know he has a contract for 2 more years but his ability is slowly declining and we have to think of a replacement.
WE NEED A LEADER IN DEFENCE !!!
and Nesta/Canna are perfect for the job.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I agree that Maldini looked old and slow in the Cup, but he really wasn't at full fitness. THe long injury didn't help. However, I'd be hard pressed to lose his experience.

Ideally, I'd play Laursen and Iuliano in the middle, with Contra/Hleveg on the right and Maldini on the left. Kaladze is a good choice to sub for Maldini, but I have always been partial to playing him as a DM.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know why Milan is going to buy another AVERAGE defender.... we have so many average defenders already.
Give Laursen a chance instead!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
If you watched any of the Denmark matches you'd have seen he's top quality. And if you'd seen the matches he'd played for Milan prior to Ancelotti sending to Siberia (the bench) you'd have seen he was perhaps the best player on the field in a red and black jersey.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
It was quite often I saw people talking about Laursen and Man of the match pre-Ancelotti.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dae said:
If you watched any of the Denmark matches you'd have seen he's top quality. And if you'd seen the matches he'd played for Milan prior to Ancelotti sending to Siberia (the bench) you'd have seen he was perhaps the best player on the field in a red and black jersey.
I have watched all 4 matches of Denmark. Among which, the one vs England showed the limit this guy could reach. He was outplayed by a bunch of average England players. Is that what you meant by top quality?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts