Xtratime Community banner

Should we start a new game thread?

• Yes, we need a new start.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No, the mojo is still strong in this one.

Votes: 5 62.5%
1041 - 1060 of 1155 Posts

·
Scudetto
23,534 Posts
Hague had such a bad game. He needs to bounce back.

Otherwise in general we played a relatively bad game as well, although the result is all that matters.

Harsh red for Salamander. Usually refs cautions before the second yellow but he gave it for free.

We desperately miss our starters because we played so differently today.

Are we winter champions?

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,042
Another important win! In 7 matches (not counting the few mins against Torino), Zlatan has scored a brace in 6 of them. What a monster!

Saelemaekers ffs! That’s the second time in less than 12 months he’s done that, coming in from the bench and getting 2 yellow cards within a few minutes. When he got the first one two minutes after coming in, I could feel he would also get the second.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,044
Harsh but you see many yellows given for that type of foul. Moronic to give the ref the choice. But yes, the foul leading to the first one in particular was really stupid.

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
An easy game as expected. Zlatan is still a beast, Romagnoli and Saelemaekers missing Atalanta is a pity. Hopefully Kjär is alright.

Kalulu is improving every game and Diaz and Hauge need to get more consistent.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Important points and not much more, but can't ask too much with half the starting players unavailable. Kessie and Zlatan are absolute monsters, and Donna was extremely solid. Calabria did a few amazing plays including the assist, but also lost the ball in silly, dangerous ways a few times. Good by all the CBs expect for specific mistakes by Kjaer (missed clearance) and Kalulu (likely PK). Dalot nothing special. Tonali was okay but you can see he's frustrated; missing passes that he'd normally not miss. The attacking midfield was on and off: Diaz with a key play for Zlatan but not much more. Castillejo with a few shit crosses; I actually liked him today but his limitations have been obvious for a long time. Hauge was really quite poor.

In general, great to get a result, though Cagliari are in shambles.

Lots of 50/50 decisions: the PK for us, Roma's yellow, Salame's second yellow, and a potential PK by Kalulu -- all could have gone the other way IMO.

It will be tough against Atalanta with the entire left half of the defense unavailable. Hopefully Kjaer will be there!

At least we should have Leao back, so the Norwegian kid can go back to the bench.

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Yeah, I also wonder which situation Van is talking about. Didn't see any potential penalty offences by Kalulu.

No thanks to you 😉

Tbh I never felt it was easy. Cagliari had plenty of chances and corners but we somehow blocked most of their shots and defended pretty well on set pieces.
Exactly, we easily defended their chances :D

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Yeah, I also wonder which situation Van is talking about. Didn't see any potential penalty offences by Kalulu.
What situation was that? I hope you dont mean the Joao Pedro one.
Sorry, not Kalulu. I meant this one, Diaz vs Sottil. It was likely the right call because Sottil was pulling the shirt first as shown in the second shot, but it could have easily gone the other way.

You could say Zlatan did almost the same thing, just a lot better: more subtle placing his arm and pulling the defender for a second (instead of holding into the shirt) before the defender clumsily ran him over.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Not sure why I thought it was Kalulu though. Was there a similar play where he was involved? Which is the Joao Pedro one?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
There was one at very end where Kalulu had a contact; not intentional ofcourse.

Diaz one was rightly looked by ref as his jersey was dragged.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
One day, maybe I'll see what Diaz brings to this team. At present I don't, certainly not to justify spending that money for him.

Dalot I say ship him back at the end of the season. I now see why he doesn't get a game at Man U.

Hauge has been poor for quite some games now. His talent was based on pace and taking on defenders. Now he does neither. Probably the Seria A defense has figured out his game, doubling up on him? Maybe. But at least make some attempt. He's been too anonymous and elementary for my liking.

Kessie, Kjaer, Donna, Ibra, Calabria were good. I also like a bit of what I saw of Meite. And can someone tell Kessie to stop with the hogging the ball on the touch line? He so much love doing that in an attempt to waste time but sucks at it .

·
Registered
24,100 Posts
Not sure why I thought it was Kalulu though. Was there a similar play where he was involved? Which is the Joao Pedro one?
JPedo rushed into the penalty area with Kalulu beside him late in the game. Pedro started falling (on his own) and then Kalulu picked the ball as he went down. a bad ref with no VAR could have called a penalty here.

·
Registered
17,755 Posts
Yeah the Kalulu one was totally fine. Even if Kalulu had stomped on JP it shouldn't have been a foul. He was just falling over and trying to keep himself up in the action.

The Saele second yellow was automatic, like I said before in this thread. There was no question about it.

I can live with the Ibra penalty decision and the non-penalty decision, but I do think Ibra gets away with a lot. Reminds me of Totti when he was older.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
I'll try to add the gifs later, for some reason can't make them work today.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
One day, maybe I'll see what Diaz brings to this team. At present I don't, certainly not to justify spending that money for him.

Dalot I say ship him back at the end of the season. I now see why he doesn't get a game at Man U.

Hauge has been poor for quite some games now. His talent was based on pace and taking on defenders. Now he does neither. Probably the Seria A defense has figured out his game, doubling up on him? Maybe. But at least make some attempt. He's been too anonymous and elementary for my liking.

Kessie, Kjaer, Donna, Ibra, Calabria were good. I also like a bit of what I saw of Meite. And can someone tell Kessie to stop with the hogging the ball on the touch line? He so much love doing that in an attempt to waste time but sucks at it .
Kessie did well to waste time at a corner kick at the end of the game. Got another corner kick and then lost the ball for a throw in, but did win quite some time. Did not notice other bad attemps to waste time.

Hauge, I agree that the defenders are probably more prepared for him now. He likes to cut in to the box. Maybe should try to vary a bit more and dribble towards the byline to cross the ball. He is quick on the first meters but maybe lacks a bit of top speed, but no by no means slow.

Diaz, although he dribbles and loses the ball too much, is involved in a lot of goals and chances. Assist to Zlatans pk yesterday, got a pk and assisted Leao against Torino.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,059 (Edited)
Just had a look at our H2H stats against Atalanta, looks horrible! We have only won 1 of our last 10 league matches against them, and we have failed to beat them at home since January 2014! At the same time, they’re unbeaten since November, having won 6 and drawn 2. The bookmakers have Atalanta as pretty big favourites which is interesting since it’s the 6th placed- away against the 1st placed team. However totally understandable also considering all our absentees.

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Looking forward to this one.

Atalanta is such a great team, and indeed they have our number.

If Kjaer is not available it would take a major miracle for us to not lose with such a depleted squad. Still a tough game if he plays given the absences, but I'd have a bit more hope.

1041 - 1060 of 1155 Posts