1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serie A Week 15 - 12/12/04 (15.00)
Milan - Fiorentina

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan are confident of closing the gap on leaders Juventus but face a potentially tricky test against Fiorentina in Week 15. The Rossoneri collected another win at the weekend but their 2-1 victory at Parma was far from easy – as they had to score twice in the last 10 minutes to cancel out the Tardini’s club’s lead.

Boss Carlo Ancelotti is likely to field his strongest side possible given that Jaap Stam, Pippo Inzaghi and Jon Dahl Tomasson are sidelined with injury until the New Year. Hernan Crespo and Andriy Shevchenko should start up front, aided by Kaka. The latter is set to be preferred ahead of Manuel Rui Costa – who comes up against his former club.

Fiorentina got back to winning ways in the derby against Bologna in Week 14. Although Enzo Maresca’s goal was rather fortunate, he was a major factor in the victory. Juventus will be hoping that their old boys in the form of Maresca, Chiellini and Miccoli can do them a favour by halting the Rossoneri. Ariatti and Jorgensen remain sidelined for the Viola.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan (probable): Dida; Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, Pancaro; Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf; Kakà; Crespo, Shevchenko

Fiorentina (probable): Lupatelli; Ujfalusi, Viali, Dainelli, Savini; Fantini, Obodo, Maresca, Chiellini; Miccoli, Riganò

Ref: To follow...

channel4

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Miccoli and Rigano together? And against Milan? I will be really surprised if that was the case, unless Miccoli was played closer to the midfield. In the earlier matches against the big teams like Inter and Juve we tended to play a very defensive match, I doubt that we're going to change that now, especially with Milan's superb attacking players. In paper, their team look very scary, but I believe we can at least get another draw against them. :D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rui Costa still loves Viola Friday 10 December, 2004

Manuel Rui Costa prepares to face his beloved former club for the first time since he was forced to leave in the summer of 2001.

“My respect for Fiorentina has never wavered and I felt that city’s affection perhaps even more intensely than Lisbon,” he explained. “It will be an emotional moment for me, but I now represent another club that has given me a great deal.”

The Portuguese international was a symbol of this side for seven years, but their financial crisis pushed them to sell him for £28m and at the time he said he was so upset that he was physically sick.

“My favourite memory of Florence is the way the fans said goodbye on the last day. If an entire city can come out to show you their affection as you are leaving, it means there was a real and important bond there. I even heard a few Viola supporters now count Milan as their second team because of my presence.”

Due to injury and Fiorentina’s relegation, Rui Costa has not been able to play against his old club since that move, so Sunday afternoon could be a very special moment indeed. It would be made even more memorable by the fact he is set to make his 300th Serie A appearance.

“Fiorentina have always played well at the San Siro because this is a stimulating arena for opponents,” continued the Euro 2004 star. “If they are on a good day, this side can cause problems for anyone.”

There were even reports that Rui Costa was set for a return to the Stadio Artemio Franchi following his difficult early time in Milan.

“I have nothing to do with those rumours. Then-Coach Emiliano Mondonico merely said it would be a dream to have me in his line-up and I thanked him for those kind words, but there is nothing more to it and we never even considered a move.”

channel4

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I even heard a few Viola supporters now count Milan as their second team because of my presence.”

Yep - with Rui, Milan are the side I always like to see do well. I was delighted for him when he won the UCL and Scudetto with Milan, and I was bitterly disappointed when he lost the Euro 2004 final to Greece. (He should have started!)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Mago said:
C4 found out about Naren... ;)
His talk was firstly published on acmilan official website. :stuckup: Rui has a heart made of gold.:star:

About the failure of Portugal NT at 2004, frankly speaking, I don't have my sympathy to this NT but do feel for RUI b/c he deserved to start from the beginning when he showed his performance was better than Deco's during this tournament.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Delli Carri and Piangerelli will start and Ujfalusi will play right mid:doh:. We might see this formation:

Lupatelli
Delli Carri---Viali---Dainelli---Chiellini
Ujfalusi-Piangerelli-Obodo-Maresca
Rigano'---Miccoli​

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Mago said:
Delli Carri and Piangerelli will start and Ujfalusi will play right mid:doh:. We might see this formation:

Lupatelli
Delli Carri---Viali---Dainelli---Chiellini
Ujfalusi-Piangerelli-Obodo-Maresca
Rigano'---Miccoli​

Goal.com says that Viola will have following line-up:

Fiorentina (3-5-1-1):
Lupatelli; Delli Carri, Viali, Dainelli; Piangerelli, Ujfalusi, Obodo, Maresca, Chiellini; Miccoli; Rigano

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Is Cejas still injured or what?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts