Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arteta signs in for Blues Jan 31 2005
By Scott McLeod, Liverpool Echo

DAVID MOYES has ended his search for a midfield playmaker to replace Thomas Gravesen by snapping up Mikel Arteta from Real Sociedad.

Arteta's departure was set to be confirmed at a press conference in Spain.

The 22-year-old former Rangers man (left) joins Everton on an initial loan deal until the end of the season, with a view to a permanent £2.85m move in the summer.

But the Blues' hopes of adding to their ranks today may not have ended with the arrival of the Spaniard.

Everton were continuing to chase Tottenham's Simon Davies, buoyed by confirmation that the transfer deadline has been extended to midnight.

Negotiations took place over the weekend with Spurs, but Martin Jol was reluctant to lose the £3m-rated Welsh international today unless he could complete the capture of Andy Reid and Michael Dawson from Nottingham Forest.

Arteta, who underwent a medical at Goodison over the weekend, is a talented playmaker who started his career on-loan in the same Paris St Germain side as Ronaldinho.

A product of Barcelona's famed youth academy, Glasgow Rangers paid the Catalan club £5.8m to take him to Ibrox in July 2002.

In two years in Scotland he made 50 league appearances, scoring 12 goals, plus a further 18 appearances in cup competitions for one more goal.

He was signed by Real Sociedad for £2.7m last summer as a direct replacement for Xabi Alonso.

Still only 22, he is a former captain of Spain's under-21 side.

Chief executive Keith Wyness said: "We are delighted that Mikel has agreed to join us. This is a real coup for Everton as there were a number of clubs interested in the player.

"David Moyes, Bill Kenwright and myself have been working behind the scenes on a daily basis attempting to strengthen the squad and the signing of Mikel, who is one of the best young prospects in Spain, is hopefully testament to that."

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Hmmm, seen him a few times up north and I wasn't the most impressed with him, he tends to be lazy, and is really light weight. I hope he can prove me wrong though.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your the second person to say that, yet I dont see Moyes bringong in someone who wont work hard. That would destroy the chemistry.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I think you're very luck to sign such a player, I was very impressed with him when he was at Rangers but I presume things must of not gone his way in Sociedad. Will give you abit of creativity, and if he settles in the Premiership I might actually start getting scared about you taking 4th.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
He never settled at Sociedad as he expected to be the star in Alonso's absent and well he got upset that he wasn't, so he became a bench warmer.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
he is a very good player, and steps it up for the big occasions as Rangers fans will tell you as he constantly played well in the champions league and he was one of the best players on the pitch against Man Utd at Old Trafford... this is a good signing for you guys... best of luck for champions league qualification

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I think it's a great signing for Everton. I'm not sure if he'll match up to the physical aspects of the Premierhsip but he has the footballing mind to open things up for Everton. He is a very good playmaker and if he works to the ability we Rangers fans know he has then he'll become a very important player for Everton. I hope he does well.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your Imput I am interested in seeing how he fits in. I guess we were all looking for a player the likes of Gravesens Intensity, I just hope he has more Heart and Skill than Ego and skill.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SM ONLINE said:
I think you're very luck to sign such a player, I was very impressed with him when he was at Rangers but I presume things must of not gone his way in Sociedad. Will give you abit of creativity, and if he settles in the Premiership I might actually start getting scared about you taking 4th.
SM I would be more scared on wether you finish 4th than us. We at least wont lose our heart and soul if we dont While Pool on the other hand will have it torn away and playing in a blue shirt next season. :smileani:

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
PAULMAY said:
I just hope he has more Heart and Skill than Ego and skill.
He has the skills and his ego is tamed. Sociedad this year has been a tremendous mess, if they don't do something quick, they will once again fight relegation to the end, this after just one year away they were fighting for the Championship.

I don't blame the lack of adaptation of Mikel on himself as much as I do on the mess they have up there.

I wish him the best. He has a LOT more skill than Gravensen and should do well. (at least from what I have seen in Madrid, Gravensen is just a foul waiting to happen and won't pass a ball more than a handful of meters, which by the way, its what Madrid needed)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I haven't got anythying constructive to say except I'm pleased that we have a Basque player at Everton, even if it isn't the one I've been writing to Moyes about all year, Iraola of Athletic.

D

·
0 Posts
It's not Gravensen, it's Gravesen. I've seen every game Gravesen has played for MAdrid so far, and he has been passing the ball long and short. The thing that he does do a lot of is foul, which was expected because Evertonians must know that he fouls instead of tackles. He was the creative player at Everton with excellent vision, and now he's gone to Madrid playing in a role that doesn't suit him. Lee Carsley was the ball winner at Everton, not Gravesen.

People don't realize that Gravesen actually dribbled past players, and they think because he's got a bald head and looks like a madman that he hasn't got any skill. Arteta I'd say has got a lot more agility, but he hasn't got the workrate or strength that Gravesen had. Arteta won't replace Gravesen but he's only 22 and he could become good. I think Everton will buy him for £2.8 milion, I think that's a bargain. I think he's got a knee injury though, maybe Moyes was desperate for a creative player.

D

·
0 Posts
Fish said:
I haven't got anythying constructive to say except I'm pleased that we have a Basque player at Everton, even if it isn't the one I've been writing to Moyes about all year, Iraola of Athletic.

You've been writing to Moyes? any replies :D

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Young07 said:
he is a very good player, and steps it up for the big occasions as Rangers fans will tell you as he constantly played well in the champions league and he was one of the best players on the pitch against Man Utd at Old Trafford... this is a good signing for you guys... best of luck for champions league qualification
You must have been watching a different Mikel Arteta from the over-rated, ineffective, sand-dancer that i saw then.

It was infact the big occasions, ie Old Firm derbies and European games, where Arteta most often flattered to deceive, that would be the Mikel Arteta that i think most Rangers fans would identify with rather than the one you described.

He might prove me wrong, but i just think that Arteta at present is far too lightweight to be an effective player at the highest level. I'd be surprised if he makes any sort of impact at Everton at all, especially given the physical nature of the Premiership.

Sorry to be so negative about your new signing guys, but that's my opinion of him.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
You will probably find a mixed reaction about Arteta from Old Firm fans. Towards the end his heart didn't look in as he had spent over a season looking to move when the transfer window opened.

As a product of the Barcelona youth system he has great technical ability. He played two seasons at Ibrox. In his first, 2002/03, he was part of the treble winning team and scored the penalty on the last day of the season to win Rangers the league. He played well in that first season.

His form and commitment dipped in the second season. Rangers were a shadow of the team thy had been before with a massive turnaround of players. He was not enjoying it as Rangers were basically mince and you could see that in his performances.

I think alot will come down to how that last season at Rangers and this season at Sociedad has effected him. It's whether he can put two unhappy years behind him and get back to his best- I hope he can.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
PAULMAY said:
SM I would be more scared on wether you finish 4th than us. We at least wont lose our heart and soul if we dont While Pool on the other hand will have it torn away and playing in a blue shirt next season. :smileani:
Jamie Carraghers going no where

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SM ONLINE said:
Jamie Carraghers going no where

:dielaugh: Carragher is only a kidney at best. Last I remember you can live withoout one of them. While on the other hand, when the pump stops flowing so does Pool. :D

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Carragher is sound as a pound m8, red through and through!

If Gerrard leaves so be it, Alonso can easilly fill the void allowing us to bring in a more attack minded player.

BTW we will get 4th and Gerrard wont leave because he loves the club to much :pp

D

·
0 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
Carragher is sound as a pound m8, red through and through!

Carragher was once an evertonian, it was actually funny seeing an interview of him talking about Evertosn Cup final defeat against Liverpool in the eighties, where he was obviously upset about. :howler:

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
DeJackal said:
Carragher was once an evertonian, it was actually funny seeing an interview of him talking about Evertosn Cup final defeat against Liverpool in the eighties, where he was obviously upset about. :howler:
I knew someone was going to mention that :doh:

There was a rumour that he had an Everton tatoo :yuck:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts