Xtratime Community banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Wow, this is exciting for me! What time zone is CET? I'm praying that it means the North American central time zone, but that would be too convenient for me so it probably means that I have to wake up at 6:30 on Monday. Well I have to go and brainstorm what to ask him so that I win those tickets. Be sure to watch for me on TV this CL, I'll be the one waving and giving a shoutout to you, Filipe Reis, for letting me know about this live chat :party:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts

:lick:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
cecebravia said:
Wow, this is exciting for me! What time zone is CET? I'm praying that it means the North American central time zone, but that would be too convenient for me so it probably means that I have to wake up at 6:30 on Monday. Well I have to go and brainstorm what to ask him so that I win those tickets. Be sure to watch for me on TV this CL, I'll be the one waving and giving a shoutout to you, Filipe Reis, for letting me know about this live chat :party:
:howler: I'll spend the matches trying to spot you in the crowd.

CET means Central European Time which is 6 hours later than NYC.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I don't know if any of you tuned in for the Miguel Veloso chat but I thought it was lame. People asked the dumbest questions that are just typical footballing questions he's been asked a thousand times over and I think that no one deserves to win the CL tickets. And it was even lamer that my questions did not even get to be answered (my questions were serious contenders for the CL tickets, and I'm being for real, they were fierce competition) when some people asked like 5 questions. Not cool, UEFA, not cool

I was going to post the transcript but it is waaay too long and boring

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
cecebravia said:
I don't know if any of you tuned in for the Miguel Veloso chat but I thought it was lame. People asked the dumbest questions that are just typical footballing questions he's been asked a thousand times over and I think that no one deserves to win the CL tickets. And it was even lamer that my questions did not even get to be answered (my questions were serious contenders for the CL tickets, and I'm being for real, they were fierce competition) when some people asked like 5 questions. Not cool, UEFA, not cool

I was going to post the transcript but it is waaay too long and boring
I was working so couldn't follow it but I demand to know what were your questions. :stuckup: ;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I had great, non cookie-cutter questions:
-You run alot during games, how do you keep your hair perfect during them? What has been your favorite hairstyle to date?
-As a Nani fanboy, how did it feel to see him go to Man U? How likely would you be to follow him there?
-Is it hard keeping a normal social life since you are always traveling?

Those among other questions

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
cecebravia said:
I had great, non cookie-cutter questions:
-You run alot during games, how do you keep your hair perfect during them? What has been your favorite hairstyle to date?
-As a Nani fanboy, how did it feel to see him go to Man U? How likely would you be to follow him there?
-Is it hard keeping a normal social life since you are always traveling?

Those among other questions
I especially like the first two :howler:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yea I threw in the 3rd because I knew that would pass the moderator's standards because I was wondering if my first two questions were rejected but it was to no avail :(

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Transcript of his chat on uefa.com

jc: Is it hard always seeing your colleagues moving to other countries? How can a young professional, especially in a short career such as a footballer, live with the temptation of always moving abroad?
Miguel Veloso: We feel sad because they leave, but we happy because they are going to great clubs and following their wishes.
jaws: Hi Miguel. Your father is a past Benfica glory. How do you feel playing for their main rivals?
Miguel Veloso: It is a normal thing. I started in Benfica but they sent me away. I came to Sporting and they gave me everything and now it is my time to give back to them. It is normal to be their rivals now.
ZESTA-LAGARTO77: Did you choose your playing number 24 and if so, does it have a special significance to you?
Miguel Veloso: In the youth teams I always played with the number four, and number two was the usual number of my father so I combined the two.
Duende: Was it difficult to make the transition from central defender (which you spent most of your development) to defensive midfielder?
Miguel Veloso: It was not too difficult. In my last year in the youth teams I played as a defensive midfielder under Paulo Bento.
Miguel Veloso: Then I went to Olivais e Moscavide on loan and I played as defensive midfielder.
ZESTA-LAGARTO77: What has been your highlight goal and game in your playing career so far?
Miguel Veloso: I don't have many goals, but the best was probably against Holland in Under-21 european Championship. The best game...maybe against Manchester United at home.
ash: Who's the hardest opponent you've played against?
Miguel Veloso: Every player tries to make things hard. I can't say just one, things haven't been that easy...
wolo: What do you think the difference in quality is from the UEFA Champions League to playing internationally for Portugal?
Miguel Veloso: In the Champions League you have the best players in the world - from all the countries. That's why there is maybe more quality.
SneijDer: Which other league do you like: Premier League, Serie A etc?
Miguel Veloso: All of these are big references. As we say in Portugal, "let the devil chose". Every player dreams to play in any of these leagues.
ash: Did playing at the Under-21 finals help you when you played in EURO 2008 qualifying?
Miguel Veloso: The Under-21 was good to show off all the players. It wasn't good for Portugal, unfortunately, but in personal terms it was ok.
R1517GEO: Hello Miguel! How much time were you practicing football during your childhood? Thanks. David from Georgia
Miguel Veloso: Most of my time was spent playing football. Ii went to school and played during the breaks, than at lunch time I played in the street and then I had trainings at night. When we are kids, we never get tired.
sorincristiano: How do you spend your spare time?
Miguel Veloso: We train in the mornings, I have lunch at home, rest in the afternoon, have dinner, hang a while with my friends and family.
gasg: Hey Miguel - I read in an article that Manchester United were interested in signing you. If so, would you consider a move to join your fellow countrymen such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani?
Miguel Veloso: Of course. Manchetser United is a great team; it is a dream for any player to play in great clubs. If there is a good offer to Sporting, it is up to them to decide. And to me too, of course
NicoleMZ: Bom dia Miguel! Sporting is a wonderful team, but every team goes through rough spots. How do you deal with losing?
Miguel Veloso: Very bad. I hate to lose. But not every team always wins. Now we are not in a good moment, but we are going to come through.
popo: When you hit a free kick or a penalty do you ever think of the one Veloso senior missed in 1988?
Miguel Veloso: No, I don't remember that. I was too young but I saw it later on TV.
ZESTA-LAGARTO77: What career would you be in if you were not a footballer?
Miguel Veloso: I would like to keep studying. I've finished 11th grade. I've always liked computers, so probably that would have been my future.
steve: When you were young did you think you would become a Sporting player playing in the best competition in Europe?
Miguel Veloso: No, I never imagined that. It was my dream to be a footballer, but I never expected to reach this level so early. But that is what I worked for and I will keep working for.
danny portuguese: Do you expect to win EURO 2008?
Miguel Veloso: EURO 2008? We finished second in the last EURO 2004, so why not to win this time?
sese: What is the main difference from Sporting's academy that makes it so great?
Miguel Veloso: The conditions that Sporting provide are great. The people who work here are great professionals and try to help the young players who come here. Everything they give to the players is great to help us improve.
Darnell: Who is the best coach you have had the opportunity to play for?
Miguel Veloso: Paulo Bento...he has been the only one in my professional career
Manchester united: Which team do you think will win the Champions league?
Quico: You seem to feel a bit limited in your game playing as a central defender. Is that true? Do you prefer to be more in the game than to have only to cut the rivals's attack?
Miguel Veloso: I don't think it limits me. The coach placed me there and it's a different job than in the midfield. I have to stay in the back most of the time. But the most improtant thing is to help the team, above all
Manchester united: Who do you think will win the prize as the best player in the world [The FIFA World Player of the Year]?
Miguel Veloso: Cristiano Ronaldo or Kaká. I hope it is Cristiano.
Football_realist89: Over the last decade or so, Portugal has always had certain individuals step up as great defensive midfielders (such as Maniche, Costinha, Petit) but noone has really kept the spot for too long. Do you feel you can play that role consistently from now on?
Miguel Veloso: That's what I work for, to play all the time in the national team. If I have that chance, I will try to do my best and play there as long as possible.
hi: Any tips on how to become a pro footballer?
Miguel Veloso: You always have to fight for your dream - if that's what you really want, go until the end and never give up, like I did
Miguel Veloso: I'm happy to have done the chat with you. I hope I didn't disappoint you. Bye.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
yea there was alot more than that but that's all uefa still has up, but i think that it gives a pretty good impression of how boring the chat was. The only good thing that he revealed was that he was a computer nerd at :heart:. I sent a message saying that he did disappoint me, despite hoping that he didn't but I don't think the moderator translated the message for him :(

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
cecebravia said:
yea there was alot more than that but that's all uefa still has up, but i think that it gives a pretty good impression of how boring the chat was. The only good thing that he revealed was that he was a computer nerd at :heart:. I sent a message saying that he did disappoint me, despite hoping that he didn't but I don't think the moderator translated the message for him :(
These UEFA chats are pathetic. I don't know if you have ever seen those that happen during the CL matches on their live coverage...they are as exciting as watching cycling.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
They must be pretty exciting then because I love cycling :howler:

But on the real, no I have never been to any of those chats they hold during the CL game, I don't enjoy talking to "football experts" or whatever they are

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
No, it's not enough actually. His buy-out clause is set on €30M. I think his price tag will very much depend on his performances during the Euro as I doubt he'll be sold before it.
I agree with this. Since Moutinho is not going anywhere for some time, Veloso appears to be the next pearl to go. Earlier this season, his value was at his buy-out clause of 30 M Euros. Now, as his performances have perhaps not been as good, it's dropped to 23 M Euros in this article(which I don't believe). I think Sporting will indeed get the 30 M Euros, especially after Veloso shines in Portugal's Euro 2008 win. Hey, I can dream, right? :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
To be honest, after a season like he had, I don't even think that he is right now worth €23M but that's always very relative. I also think that a good Euro from him could shoot up his value but with Scolari prefering the likes of Petit to run our defensive midfield I am not that optmistic.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts