Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From goal.com:

Egyptian striker Mido has had a debut to remember after he scored twice for Tottenham in their 3-1 win at home to Portsmouth.
The victory ended Spurs' mini-slump and kick-started their campaign to finish in the top six and secure a European place.

Portsmouth opened the scoring in an entertaining first half through Diomansy Kamara, but Mido soon headed Spurs back on level terms and on the hour he gave the home side the lead. Robbie Keane came off the bench to secure the points with a classy finish.

Mido, who is on an 18-month loan deal from Roma, started alongside Jermain Defoe and was straight into the action as he shot over the bar.

Another debutante, Andy Reid, was next to get involved as he whipped in a corner which Ledley King was unable to convert.

The visitors were struggling but on 27 minutes they scored with their first attempt on goal. Kamara took advantage of poor marking to head home Patrick Berger's corner from six-yards.

It took Spurs seven minutes to get back on level terms, but before they did so they were denied what looked like a clear penalty as Dejan Stefanovic appeared to tug at Defoe's shirt. The goal they deserved came from Simon Davies' excellent cross that Mido headed powerfully past Kostas Chalkias.

Kamara found the net again just before half time, but referee Steve Dunn judged that he used his arm to control Stefanovic's through ball.

Tottenham had the best of things at the start of the second half and tried to exploit Chalkias' frailty at dealing with crosses. After an hour Mido scored his second, but it was Defoe that did the hard work as he rounded Taylor before crossing for his new strikepartner to tap home.

Reid came close to a debut goal of his own, but his effort struck the foot of the post. However, the points were sealed by Keane, who came on for Mido, with a delicate chip over Chalkias with Reid collecting an assist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So why we didn't appreciate his goal-scoring sense... He had an amazing debut, despite the fact that he severely lacks match practice, thanx to the lots of chances we gave him...

·
Registered
581 Posts
good luck to him in england, we can either make use of him when he returns or sell him for a nice profit if he keeps good form

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
tnx Sabry, great goals, his moment was really good at both of the goals, wish him all the best at Tottenham and wish that he will return to Roma some day.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Its good to see Mido doing well for Tottenham.I hope in the end we sell him for a huge profit if he continues scoring in England.The game in England may suit him better as he does not possess the guile or artistry to link play up with Montella,Cassano or Totti.I remember Henry did not settle in Turin,yet at Arsenal,he is unstoppable.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
ROMA 10 said:
I remember Henry did not settle in Turin,yet at Arsenal,he is unstoppable.
Seeing how Mido is completely different from Henry in all aspects of the game, I don't see why anyone would compare the two.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
chivu_4 said:
i watched the match....and cried after it finished realizing what a huge mistake we made
Oh C'mon he scored against Portsmouth hardly worl beaters.Players go to england score freely all the time.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Schumy said:
Oh C'mon he scored against Portsmouth hardly worl beaters.Players go to england score freely all the time.
That was an intended insult of the Premiership I imagine :shades:

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Playing for Roma is hardly the same as playing for an English (or even any Italian team). In England the long ball suits Mido, which is not the style of play in Italy. Also, in Roma specifically, Totti gets most of the chances and takes most of the shots while at Tottenham the Mido/Defoe/Kanoute/Keane will be getting most of the chances/setups.

Although I really don't know if Mido could have succeeded at Roma if he was given a better chance or not.

I also don't think Roma will end up getting good cash for him if he leaves, because I think his loan expires when his contract ends.

Anyways, its still too early to talk.. This is the "normal" Mido we have known, but one match is still too early to judge if he is back to his normal self or not.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I don't care about Mido. If he made miracles at training, he'd be playing. It's plain simple, Premier League fits him a lot better. First of all, Serie A is much more compact. The attacking strategy is more often built around a creative player in the centre than wingers. Therefore also less crosses. Especially if you consider the wing options we had earlier this season; Cufré rarely cross, while Mancini was way out of form in the beginning.

Secondly, Premier League is much more offensive.. in a negative way. The marking is often absolutely disastrous and there's much more chances. The absence of sensitivity in his first touches isn't that obvious simply because there's much more space.

However, things could have been done differently. But again, if he was a God at training, he certainly would have been given chances.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sure if he was off form and low in confidence thats different but that doesn't explain why he was played as a winger or second striker whenever he got minutes.

All I know is that for sure Trez or Vieri wouldn't be the topscorer in the 2001/2002 or 2002/2003 season if he played on the wing, Oh and had a grand total of 0 SerieA starts.

(Not saying Mido is Vieri/Trez but similar type of forward)

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
No one will be top scorer without matches. What's your point? You have to earn your spot. If I had complete access to every Roma training and saw him shine, I would agree. We don't know anything about the circumstances here. The only thing we do is express strong but weakly founded opinions all the time. Why don't we slaughter Mido for playing crap at training instead of reproaching Del Neri for not giving him chances? It's just as weakly founded. If Mido played, and performed way below par, Del Neri would be blamed. He is scapegoat no matter what.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I'd love if it was easy as, 'if he performed in training he'd be starting', but i don't believe it for a second, he's clearly a talented player, and it's hard to imagine than none of that shined through in practice. Just like i didn't believe Montella was off form the 90% of the time Capello refused to start him. And we can't say wheter he's suited to the Serie A or not, just like Faisal posted, he didn't start upfront for us once, so no one here is in a position to make that judgement.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Thotobald said:
No one will be top scorer without matches. What's your point? You have to earn your spot. If I had complete access to every Roma training and saw him shine, I would agree. We don't know anything about the circumstances here. The only thing we do is express strong but weakly founded opinions all the time. Why don't we slaughter Mido for playing crap at training instead of reproaching Del Neri for not giving him chances? It's just as weakly founded. If Mido played, and performed way below par, Del Neri would be blamed. He is scapegoat no matter what.

Playing crap in training as what, A winger/outside forward or a CF? Theres a big difference and since we never saw Mido as a CF Im guessing Del Neri ignored his pleas to play in his natural position and the relationship went sour from there. Though like you say we know nothing for sure and its all guesses

Im one of those defenders of Del Neri when he came so Im not going to be on his back unless I think I have more than a good reason to do so.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts