Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FA Cup Semi Final;

Old Trafford 4pm KO Sunday 14th April

The early team news for Boro is that Ince is suspended, Carbone is cup-tied, Whelan definitely out with a torn hamstring, and 4 other players including Alen Boksic face fitness tests.

Arsenal's squad will likely be the same as vs Sp*rs... Cole is still out I think, and Vieira is still walking a disciplinary tightrope - he is one yellow away from a two-game ban...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Boro will give us a scare. Boksic will score the first on a counter attack (provided he's fit) but then Henry will score two and Campbell one of a header from Edu's corner (coz Henry's corners are no good). A comfotable win in the end with a little scare.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i think it will be wise to leave viera out of this and have him as a sub
our mid should have freddie, parlour, edu and wiltord
if we are losing or its a close game
THEN send on viera
i wouldnt like to see viera out for 2 matches at SUCH a crucial time like this

IMO henry's corners DO suck hahahaha

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Im heading up to Manchester tommorrow for this game and staying in some hotel. I can't wait. If it is anything like last year's semi final agaisnt Spurs, then it will be a great day!

With Boro having key players out, we should beat them comfortably, but Boro will put up an amazing fight, and wemay have trouble breaking them down with Southgate and Egiogh in the heart of their defence. With Ince out Arsenal will control the midfield and if Boksic doesn't make it, then Boro pose little threat to our defence.
Wenger may even play Wright, he seems to play Wright in the Cup matches,but I think this game is too important to rest Seaman.
Incidentally, if Vieira gets booked on Sunday he will miss the FA Cup Final!

Possible Lineup;

===========Wright
Lauren==Campbell==Adams==Luzhny
=Wiltord==Vieira==Edu==Ljungberg=
=======Henry==Bergkamp

Prediction- 3-0 to Arsenal

Freddie, Henry (2)

Latest Team News;

Middlesbrough

Steve McClaren has been handed a fitness boost ahead of Sunday's FA Cup semi-final clash with Arsenal with the news that star striker Alen Boksic has recovered from a groin injury.

The Croatian's fitness relieves one headache for McClaren, who is already without the cup-tied Benito Carbone and hamstring victim Noel Whelan.

However, midfielder Jonathan Greening is a doubt with a calf strain, although Phil Stamp is back in contention following a shoulder problem.

Middlesbrough (from): Schwarzer, Crossley, Queudrue, Stockdale, Murphy, Ehiogu, Southgate, Festa, Cooper, Mustoe, Greening, Wilkshire, Debeve, Johnston, Stamp, Downing, Hudson, Boksic, Windass, Marinelli.

Arsenal

Ashley Cole is ruled out of Arsenal's FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford on Sunday with a knee injury.

The left-back is also out of England's friendly international against Paraguay next week.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is reportedly considering handing the goalkeeping to Richard Wright, as he has played in all five of the club's FA Cup games this season.

Arsenal (from): Wright, Dixon, Keown, Campbell, Adams, Lauren, Edu, Vieira, Parlour, Wiltord, Henry, Bergkamp, Luzhny, Ljungberg, Jeffers, Upson, Grimandi, Seaman.

Vieira will not be rested by Wenger!

http://www.arsenal.com/sportsappcontroller.jsp?command=setSelectedId&nextPage=newsextradisplayheadline&type=com.sportapps.news.NewsItem&id=2593083

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think (and hope) that AW will leave Vieira on the bench now that Palour is fit. If he does play Vieira, and he gets book, AW will be kicking himself for the rest of the season. I know FA Cup semi is important, but with Ince out it makes no sense to take such a risk.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I don't think we'll have trouble, Middlesbrough are missing too many players. Parlour and Edu sound like an interesting combination. But if Vieira does play, DO NOT play Parlour because than Vieira will get a yellow. Edu, Bergkamp, Ljungberg to score 3-1.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
IMO the FA cup final will be between chelsea and arsenal the london derby

hopefully AW wont be underestimating boro. underestimating a weak team may be our downfall
i cant see anyother reason to lose:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If Vieira avoids a booking tomorrow, he will be free of the threat of suspension because of a disciplinary cut-off point after this weekend...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For that reason, some people are saying Paddy should be benched for this game...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Latest Team Updates

Middlesbrough

Steve McClaren has been handed a fitness boost ahead of Sunday's FA Cup semi-final clash with Arsenal with the news that star striker Alen Boksic has recovered from a groin injury.

The Croatian's fitness relieves one headache for McClaren, who is already without the cup-tied Benito Carbone and hamstring victim Noel Whelan.

However, midfielder Jonathan Greening is a doubt with a calf strain, although Phil Stamp is back in contention following a shoulder problem.

Middlesbrough (from): Schwarzer, Crossley, Queudrue, Stockdale, Murphy, Ehiogu, Southgate, Festa, Cooper, Mustoe, Greening, Wilkshire, Debeve, Johnston, Stamp, Downing, Hudson, Boksic, Windass, Marinelli.

Arsenal

Ashley Cole is ruled out of Arsenal's FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford on Sunday with a knee injury.

The left-back is also out of England's friendly international against Paraguay next week.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is reportedly considering handing the goalkeeping to Richard Wright, as he has played in all five of the club's FA Cup games this season.

Arsenal (from): Wright, Dixon, Keown, Campbell, Adams, Lauren, Edu, Vieira, Parlour, Wiltord, Henry, Bergkamp, Luzhny, Ljungberg, Jeffers, Upson, Grimandi, Seaman

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I just pray Paddy doesn't get booked.One fifty-fifty challenge could do it even if he wins the ball fairly :(
Then he will be out of the two biggest games of the season :rolleyes:

A lot of Gooners are very worried about this one but to me the pressure is off in this game and i believe we will be too strong for this stubborn lot ;)
No Carbone and Ince is a big loss for them Benny has been mustard in recent weeks ;)

So i expect 2-0 to the Arse(Sylvi,Edu) ;)

I also hope Chels make it so we have Manu v Pad in the final ;)

COME ON MY DOUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
source www.soccernet.com

it seems that AW is to put paddy up becuase he says he'll put the best team up in any game because its important, he says how he'll play by the book, if paddy gets booked then he does. but AW believes that paddy is responsible enough not to get a yellow card like against spurs. ( which i think he did well not to get a card exp it was a derby and against tim sherwood )

btw i got a question. if paddy doesnt get a yellow card in this game
but the game after this
will it still be bad? like wat games would he miss?

cose it think i read somewhere if he doesnt get a yellow card in this game he'll be fine :confused: not to sure

·
Registered
886 Posts
We are a much better team than Boro and if the spirit is thieir we will win.
I think we really will miss Pires tomorow, I would say his our biggest match winner and the one who can do that little extra who make the diffrence in big games like this. My team:
Wright (Let him continue his FA cup run)
Dixon Campbell Adams Lauren
Parlour Vieira Edu Ljungberg
Bergy Henry
subs: Seaman, Luzney,Wiltord, Kanu, Jeffers

·
Registered
452 Posts
Its not easy to beat Chelsea without Campbell, Pires, and Cole.
And Luzhny also injured. We have no more quality back up full back if Lauren or Dixon injured.

Honestly, Double is not easy to get. EPL is more realistic. :( :( :(

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
that was just not a fun match to see
this good be our turning point
to me
why we have won so much includes campball ALOT
i think now our defense is wide open
before it just use to be cole out
and upsen
i think oleg is out
adams is out?
now campball
kweon is back! so thats only him

my friend told me upson is back in training?
that true?
if so thats great news:)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We made it... eventually!

Well, I certainly did not enjoy watching this game! Boro fought so hard, they pressed us and harried us, breaking up our play very efficiently, and maybe even deserved something.

They were out to wind Paddy up from the start, I think it was only about 5 minutes before someone took him out with a terrible tackle. He endured another 3 of these 'challenges' from the usual Boro hatchet men - Stamp, Mustoe etc...

To be fair to Boro, their gameplan was very effective. We could not get our passing going at all. The goal, when it came, was a very scrappy affair. Usually when an own-goal happens, it is a case of, 'Oh well, if the defender hadnt put it in, our man was ready to pounce on it and score anyway'. But on this ocassion, Campbell was never going to get it and Festa just sliced it wildly.

We did have some good chances, notably Wiltords opportunity. I'm not going to slaughter him for missing that because he has worked very hard for the team this season and I have been impressed. We can allow him that miss even if it did mean us hanging on a bit.

The bad news must surely be the injury to Campbell - he is out for three weeks for sure, and this is a massive blow. Apparently Adams was going to play yesterday but he hurt his back and had to withdraw - I hope this isn't too serious.

Man of the match for me was between Paddy and Keown. I think Keown's performance yesterday has probably won him a place in Sven's WC Squad. He has already been drafted in for Wednesday's game against Paraguay after Ehiogu and Sol withdrew.

Vieira was immense and he was forced to play at centre-back after Sol went off. He performed majestically and as Keown said in the post-match interviews, Vieira will surely become a centre-back towards the end of his career just like Marcel Desailly has done.

Wright - 8; Made three world-class saves and looked good yesterday.

Luzhny - 6; Was doing OK, but our injury curse struck again.

Lauren - 7; Mr versatility again - he was forced to go to left back when Luzhny was injured, again he was mobile and adventurous down the flank.

Campbell - 7; Was playing well, massive blow with the hamstring injury.

Keown - 9; This man doesnt give a **** about pain, his only thought is, 'You will not score.' - As they say about Fabio Cannavaro - The Ball Stops Here. Man of the Match and a must for the England back four in WC2002.

Ljungberg - 6; Not really that effective, Boro picked up his runs well. There was no doubt in his commitment though, he worked hard as usual.

Vieira - 8; Pure Class, and he avoided the booking which would have kept him out of the FA Cup Final and the match at OT against Man Utd. His performance at centre-back was excellent.

Edu - 7; Got stuck in, but didnt have the time or space to play his usual relaxed, passing game. Some of his tackles were excellent though and I really think this guy has got what it takes to finally replace Manu.

Wiltord - 6; A bad miss and an average performance.

Bergkamp - 6; Not what we have been used to in recent months.

Henry - 7; Not as good as usual, but Boro were scared of him and he put a good corner over for the goal.

Subs:

Dixon - 7; Cleared off the line vitally, and played some great crosses in. Is he really 38??!

Parlour - 7; I was relieved to see him come on, he was the perfect player for this game and I felt he should have started instead of Wiltord.

Kanu - 6; Not time to do anything.

Only one thing left to say....

:star: Forza Festa!! :star:

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Thanks for the suberb match-report Gaz. Was very valuable when I couldnt watch the game...

If I understand you right, Vieira was being played as center-back???
All game???

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PV only played centre-back after Sol got injured, in about the 61st min.

By the way, I'm still online but i cant talk through messenger because my boss is about... :depress:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts