Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we came close to qualifying twice with the likes of Bolic, Baljic, Barbarez, Sali, Bajramovic, Hibic, Konjic, Beslija. Obviously we know that compared to that time, our defenders are quiet a bit worse. But seeing as our midfield and strikers are considered our strength, how do they compare?

(I would include Misimovic with the new generation because at the start of the qualification for 2004, Miske was only 20yrs old. He is basically in his prime now.)

So, how good is our midfield/strikers right now compared to then? And how good potential does it have few years down the road?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I actually think that BiH has a better chance of qualifying with the current squad, and I would be very surprised if they didn't qualify. They have enough quality to pose problems to the bigger teams, it's just the defense which is weak imo.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually think that BiH has a better chance of qualifying with the current squad, and I would be very surprised if they didn't qualify. They have enough quality to pose problems to the bigger teams, it's just the defense which is weak imo.
Well, it wouldn't be surprising if we didn't. We have the Euro champs and semi-finalists in our group. Though I would agree that we have a better squad now.

It's interesting, but we started to get some good results together starting 2002. That is when we were in the group with Denmark/Norway etc In terms of mid/strikers. Elvir Bolic, at that point in time was pretty past his best IMO.(with Rayo Vallecano at that point) And Elvir Baljic, after suffering a major injury with Real Madrid, was never quiet the same..though he was still quiet strong. Bajramovic and Barba were basically in their prime though. Barba was proven and at his best, while Bajramovic was a great player for Freiburg and on the up.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some comparisons. When players moved to their first respectable club. This is important because it usually suggest talent level. Obviously if you move to a better club earlier than someone else, you've developed better. Second criteria, what club did you move to. In the case of Braco, Baljic, and Pjanic, top clubs.

Then:
Barbarez moves Hansa Rostock 59app, 13goals(25yrs old)
Baljic moves to Real Madrid, 11app, 1goal(25yrs old)
Bolic moves to Fenerbache, 98app, 22goals(24yrs old)
Bajramovic moves to Freiburg, 72app, 24goals(23yrs old)
Salihamidzic moves to Hamburg, 72app, 19goals (19yrs old)

Compared to now:
Ibisevic moves to Hoffenheim, 48app, 23goals (23yrs old)
Misimovic moves to Bochum, 92app, 21goals (22yrs old)
Dzeko moves to Wolfsburg, 40app, 13 goals (21yrs old)
Pjanic moves to Lyon, 7app, 0goals (18yrs old)
???????

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Well, it wouldn't be surprising if we didn't. We have the Euro champs and semi-finalists in our group. Though I would agree that we have a better squad now.
True, but I can still see you guys causing an upset against Turkey and maybe snatching 2nd place from them if you keep up the current form and reach the potential.

You don't believe you can make it to 2nd place Manijak? :pp

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't believe you can make it to 2nd place Manijak?
I think we can only because Turkey is very inconsistent and we have a good history vs them.

But it will be very very difficult.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a great thread and I would love to write a long post but it's a pain in the ass (not manijak style :pp) to do it with my left hand (my right hand got operated because I cut it).

Keep this space open :stuckup:
Ouch.

How long can you not use it?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
This is a great thread and I would love to write a long post but it's a pain in the ass (not manijak style :pp) to do it with my left hand (my right hand got operated because I cut it).

Keep this space open :stuckup:
Drunken fight? :pp

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
haha cant believe you got what i was trying to say - sounds so stupid in Bosnian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts