Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legendary French footballer Michel Platini has revealed that he turned down offers from Arsenal and Tottenham in the early 1980s.
Platini became one of the most iconic post-war footballers with his performances in skippering France to a European Championship triumph in 1984.

However, two years earlier Platini had chosen to accept a blockbuster £1.2 million move to Juventus, a club that still regards him as one of their favoured sons.

Platini has now confirmed that he rejected the chance to come to England, with both Arsenal and Spurs failing in their attempts to land the star, because of the more intensive English season.

"I had proposals from English clubs like Arsenal and Tottenham and my wife wanted to go to London," Platini announced on Tuesday as he announced his bid for Uefa presidency.

"But I decided against it because you play too many games in England, and I went to Italy.

"When you don't have a winter break, you can't be at your highest level when the spring comes.
"Actually, you are injury prone and the team cannot be at its best.
"You don't have such a heavy schedule in Italy. In five years in Serie A, I was never injured."

Platini's comments will provide further fuel to the lobby that is demanding a winter break in the English game.

England manager Sven Goran Eriksson has insisted on several occasions that the lack of a winter break puts too much pressure on players and stops them operating at their peak in summer tournaments such as the World Cup and European Championship.

-------------------------------------------------

what an idiot, he could have become one of the greats at the Arsenal instead of wasting his time in Turin winning a couple of ten a penny medals.

his wife sounds like she is the brains of the outfit. :shades:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
He he.

Nowdays, since Serie A has 20 teams like in England, the number of games played is equal. We have a 2 week break during X-Mas.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imagine this team we could have had in the eighties if we had kept all our men.

---------------Jennings
Anderson---O'Leary--Adams--Samson
------------Williams-Brady
-----Petrovic-----Platini-----------Rix
---------------Stapleton

:eekani:

we would have cleaned up although Jennings would have been about 42 when Adams was getting in the team. :D

don't forget we almost signed Gullit and Maradona as well, we would have been brilliant. :proud:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
I hope he doesn't win the UEFA presidency! He is a suck-up of the highest order like Darth Blatter. :thmbdown:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
khimik said:
Another one of our best mates? :D
Not that he stated anything like he wanted to go to Highbury :rolleyes:

Excellent work by Jern or whatever s*** to come up with the misleading title which is truly The Sun-esque (or was it The Sun anyway? :yuck: )

·
Registered
17,558 Posts
Yes, i too sense a lot of regret from Platini in those quotes.

It's all quite evident.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
what an idiot, he could have become one of the greats at the Arsenal instead of wasting his time in Turin winning a couple of ten a penny medals.

his wife sounds like she is the brains of the outfit. :shades:
lucky he did waste his time in turin winning something in europe ;)

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CUG said:
lucky he did waste his time in turin winning something in europe ;)

what a bitter comment, if he'd listened to his wife, he'd have won much more than that, for sure. :shades:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts