Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michael Duberry Set For Leeds Departure
News Archive

Duberry wants first team football (Allsport)
05/14/2002. Leeds United defender Michael Duberry could be one of the first players to leave the club this summer after admitting that he needs first team football.

The former Chelsea star has been a target for Bolton in the past, and they could well reinstate their interest after he has struggled to gain a regular starting spot at Elland Road.

He told the Yorkshire Evening Post, "It has not been a good season for me personally because I have not played enough games. I couldn't complain at the start of the season because the form of the team was good, but when they were not doing well I felt I could have forced my way in. When I did get a chance I don't think I let anybody down in any way. I think I did well when I played in the first team and I was disappointed to lose my place again."

"It's no secret that I want to play first-team football. Reserve team football at the age of 26 is not what I want. I get on with it and I would never moan about it, but I want to play on a Saturday afternoon in front of a capacity 30,000 crowd showing them what I am made of. Sometimes fringe players can really have a bad effect on morale if they go about the place sulking and moping, but that's not me. But I have to be playing first-team football."

Leeds have admitted that players will be sold this summer after failure to qualify for the Champions League for the second season in a row left their finances looking weak.

soccerage

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
DUBERRY FIRST TO GO?

DUBERRY FIRST TO GO?
by Chris Bargh

LEEDS star Michael Duberry told www.lufc.com on Tuesday that he doesn't want to leave Elland Road but the defender looks set to be the first United player to move on this summer.
Bolton, Celtic and Newcastle are all tracking the £4million rated 26-year-old centre-back and reports today suggest Everton and Blackburn Rovers have joined the race for his signature.

Duberry has admitted he may have to quit to David O'Leary's squad to progress his career as he seeks the guarantee of first team football.

In an exclusive interview with the club's official website, Michael said: "It has not been a good season for me personally because I have not played enough games.

"I could not complain at the start of the season because the form of the team was good, but when the team wasn't doing well I felt that I could have forced myself in.

"When I did get a chance I don't think that I let anybody down in any way. I think I did well when I played in the first team and it was disappointing to lose my place again.

"It is no secret that I want to play first team football. Reserve team football at the age of 26 is not what I want. I do get on with it and I would never moan about it, but I want to play on a Saturday afternoon in front of a capacity 30,000 crowd showing them what I am made of." .

"I have to think about the future. I am 27 soon and I can't be playing reserve football all the time."

Duberry arrived in July 1999 in a £4.5 million switch from Chelsea as part of manager David O'Leary's first close season spending spree, but he has endured a nightmare on and off the pitch in his three years in Yorkshire.

An injury sustained at Coventry in only Duberry's fourth full appearance ruined the first half of first season and he then became embroiled in the Bowyer Woodgate court case and played only a bit part role for the rest of the campaign.

His second season started more promisingly until he damaged his cruciate ligament at Derby County in September 2000 and was ruled out of football for 12 months.

Despite all the setbacks Dubes still enjoys being part of the Leeds squad.

He added: "I love Leeds United but I have to look to see what's best for Michael Duberry.

"There's going to be a lot of changes at the club and we shall see how those changes are in the summer.

"I just want to play football. Hopefully Leeds want me to play for them.

"But the way it's gone at the moment there are better players ahead of me and it's no big secret that there are two, three players ahead of me so I shall see what happens in the summer."

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce confirmed his interest in Duberry when he said at the weekend: "If we can afford Duberry, I'd buy him.

"The central defensive area would be a good area to strengthen but it's all motivated by cost."

·
Registered
98 Posts
To be fair - i wouldn't blame him if he left, I mean he certainly won't get a game is we have woody, chief, matteo, mills, Rio all fit!! Although it looks as though he isn't the first one to leave!!!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
He may not have to go. We only need to make up 11 million quid and if we sell Bowyer then we have more than enough. But still, if we sell him we may have enough to get another quality player...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, that's all everybody wants. He wont get it at Leeds so he might go.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, that seems to happena lot. I am the last to post in the Forum and it says u are Chris. Strange...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah I kinda feel sorry for Dubes because he's really not that bad a player...but as you mentioned earlier he would be much better for somebody like Bolton...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, I reckon a scottland move would give him starting 11 football. Maybey Dundee or Arbadeen would be a good venue?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The standards are a bit low there, though (no offence to SPL teams!)....I think he would be a decent replacement for Dean Richards at Southampton....? I think there were a couple of rumours about that earlier in the year...?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts