Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miccoli issues Viola ultimatum

Thursday 3 February, 2005

Fabrizio Miccoli is so sure that Fiorentina will avoid relegation that he’s threatened to quit the game if they do go down.

"If a side with this much potential is demoted to Serie B then I’ll hang up my boots," said the 25-year-old.

The striker, on loan from Juventus, was on target last night but the Viola still lost 2-1 at home to Palermo - a defeat that leaves them just three points above the drop zone.

"Our objectives have changed," he added. "We are no longer aiming for Europe but looking to stay in the top-flight.

"We have the squad to do well and it really is unthinkable that we could be relegated this season."

Fiorentina, who have recently appointed Dino Zoff as their new boss, travel to Sampdoria in Week 23.

"We need to start winning with the game in Genoa as we are running out of matches," continued the Italian international.

Miccoli was finally asked about his partnership with new signing Valeri Bojinov. "We’ve already found a certain understanding," he concluded.

channel4

I believe Miccoli will play for many years to come. In purple shirt.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
nikofv said:
"We have the squad to do well and it really is unthinkable that we could be relegated this season."
Unthinkable?! The team didn't win a single match for what now? 6? 7 matches? We were once competing with Inter, Roma and Lazio somewhere in the middle of the table and now we are left close to the bottom, gaining only one point in the last 6 matches.

Maybe if some kind of miracle happened and the team improved their playing style we might have a good chance, but so far, things aren't looking that good.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
I'd love to see if he really was up to his words :D. Maybe he is talking about himself as a metaphor for Del Piero?

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
no this is nothing like 2002, back then we were relying on youngsters and MARIO GANZ!!!! to help save us.. yes maybe our objectives have changed but next season with 1 or 2 more quality signings, we can definetly push for Europe and take example of Udinese this season

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Fiorentina won't go down and Zoff will have a major Impact I really feel,Yes they've struggled recently but the changing of coaches etc hasn't helped.Fiorentina haven't had the services of such players like Jorgensen and Nakata for the majority of the season.
So all they need to do is string a couple of consistant performances together to progress a little further.Miccoli is probably just saying that out of frustration and to spur his side on.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I don't trust Zoff as much as I did Buso. I think his impact will depend on how long he will survive before we sack him for the players mistakes.

Now, at such times some people may remember the old Fiorentina with Bati and Rui, but all I think of when I see the current Fiorentina is the Inter of a few years ago, good players, lots of talk about team potential, but nothing to show in the pitch.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Young07 said:
no this is nothing like 2002, back then we were relying on youngsters and MARIO GANZ!!!! to help save us.. yes maybe our objectives have changed but next season with 1 or 2 more quality signings, we can definetly push for Europe and take example of Udinese this season
Our objectives now are the same as they were in 2001-02, which is to stay in Serie A.

After 23 matches this year, the Viola are 5W 8D 10L for 23 points.
After 23 matches in 01-02, the Viola were 4W 5D and 14L for 17 points.

So we're not quite as bad as back then, when we ended up second-last.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Zoff has come in like Del Neri after a couple of coaches it sought of displaces the players also,They have to get used to new game plans techniques etc which certainly don't come into place immediately.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Schumy said:
They have to get used to new game plans techniques etc which certainly don't come into place immediately.
If playing four CBs and four DMs is his gameplan... goodbye Serie A :(

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Mago said:
If playing four CBs and four DMs is his gameplan... goodbye Serie A :(
Would you like the job? :)

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Schumy said:
I'll take it, coaching a Serie B team full of Serie A quality players is not the end of the world :)......unless you are a Viola fan that is...;)

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Schumy said:

Seriously, Zoff is an oldtimer, we've seen how much the game has changed. Coaches with old tactics and nothing new in the gameplay fails mostly sooner or later.

I've never been a fan of Zoff either as a coach. And Mago is right, having a midfield with DMs only is like shorting your legs

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Valdrin said:
Seriously, Zoff is an oldtimer, we've seen how much the game has changed. Coaches with old tactics and nothing new in the gameplay fails mostly sooner or later.

I've never been a fan of Zoff either as a coach. And Mago is right, having a midfield with DMs only is like shorting your legs
He was virtually seconds away from winning the european Cup and done a marvellous job at Lazio.Noone can expect miracles,And he certainly can't be faulted for the crisis that Fiorentina are currently in.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Schumy said:
He was virtually seconds away from winning the european Cup and done a marvellous job at Lazio.Noone can expect miracles,And he certainly can't be faulted for the crisis that Fiorentina are currently in.

Was- is the keyword. Plus that ain't helping Viola alot. Of course I don't blame him entirely but fielden a midfield with deffensive minded only is really suicidal.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Valdrin the fact was that Zoff done a fantastic job with the NT,He had the team playing solid consistant football.At Lazio he done a similar job also and his coaching has never really been questioned,At Fiorentina his time hasn't started well but he hasn't been helped either.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
I've never dismissed Zoffs merits. But like I said in my previous post; Coaches with "old time" tactics have a tendency to fail more now. The only coach is rather Capello that's still oldish and wins something. Ancelotti who was some of a old school coach never won until he "revolutionised" his ideas. In Parma he played a strickt 4-4-2 with 2 deffensive mids. That took us pretty far but not quite to the edge, same as when he coached Juve.

Which is why I'm saying that oldtimers have it difficult if they play with their regular kind of system. Of ocurse I don't mean that everything new will garantuee you wins.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts