Votes: 1 7.1%
  • USA (PKs)

Votes: 1 7.1%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mexico has looked very impressive but if there is a ream that knows how to beat the Mexicans it's the US. IMO It's tossed up in this Concacaf showdown.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think Mexico - the USA are so inconsistent - proved so clearly today.

If the USA brings back some of the nice play from the Portugal match, they could be a hard nut to crack though.

USA had their moment and they can go back feeling proud!

Mexico has been a positive surprise - they are much like Denmark - without the huge stars (like the had Hugo Sanchez and we the Laudrups) and they seem to be a very good TEAM!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Tough game for the U.S.A. . The Mexicans have been one THE teams of the WC thus far. Magic#10 hit the nail right on the head when he mentioned the inconsistency of team U.S.A . Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers cross for the country of my birth!

~A narrow U.S.A victory~ ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Magic, I agree 100%...it's all depends on what version of the US shows up.

If it's the one that beat Portugal and got the draw vs. South Korea, then I think Mexico is going have their hands full. If it's the US team that stunk up the joint vs. Poland today, I can expect the Tricolores to have their way with the US :(

Still, not a lot of people expected the US to make it to the Round of 16..All I wanted when the tournament began was to have a better showing than in France 4 years ago. Mission accomplished there. Making the Round of 16 was an added bonus and if the Gods of Football smile upon me for once, who knows what could happen? ;).

Mexico's quietly impressed me this tournament and they're in a great posiiton to make a serious run....they're starting to get things going out there and are going to be a tough draw for anyone in the knockout rounds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If over the hill Jeff Agoos does not play it will be USA. I think Mexico is over rated, they have played decent football, but they are not that :strong:
Lets go U.S.A. :smileani: :smileani:

USA 3 Mexico 1

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
After what I've seen, it should be a hard match but Mexico will win. The US have undeniably improved, though, and credit must be given where it's due. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wish the United States luck in their game vs Mexico, but I belive they drew a team that is Peaking at just the right time...

Under regular circumstances I would say it is a toss up... but Mexico is on a roll and their Coach Javier Aguire has them thinking they can win this thing... add that to the fact that the United States is limping into the next round doesn't help thier chances...

I see plenty of oportunities for Blanco and Borgetti to exploit the United States' defence... and I truly dont see how the US can wrestle control away from the Mexican midfield.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Great match for the CONCACAF region. A team in the quarter finals is great for them.

I don't see why many people expected Mexico to finish bottom of Group G, I had a feeling they would have a great tournament.

If Blanco keeps his big mouth shut I see Mexico progressing to the quarter finals and equalling their best ever finish, possibly after a golden goal.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Mexico deserves more to go through than USA
3-0 thrashing to for USA

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Mexico wins and advances to meet the Germans.

:mute:

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Let the US go thorugh and German armies will teach us how to play a good soccer and teach something about TRADITION of soccer ....

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
el Burrito said:
I wish the United States luck in their game vs Mexico, but I belive they drew a team that is Peaking at just the right time...

Under regular circumstances I would say it is a toss up... but Mexico is on a roll and their Coach Javier Aguire has them thinking they can win this thing... add that to the fact that the United States is limping into the next round doesn't help thier chances...

I see plenty of oportunities for Blanco and Borgetti to exploit the United States' defence... and I truly dont see how the US can wrestle control away from the Mexican midfield.
Im with you ALL the Way !!!! :excited:

·
Registered
141 Posts
You know what the scariest thing about Mexico is...

Blanco is yet to make his presence truly felt in this WC...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: CONCACAF derby takes center stage
Mexico - USA | News Archive

Borgetti and Friedel clash in another CONCACAF derby
06/16/2002. BACKGROUND:
On Monday in Jeanju, Korea, will be the 47th time that Mexico and Team USA have taken the pitch against each other. The teams know each other very well. El Tri Headman, Javier "El Vasco" Aguirre, even played in the US for the LA Aztecs in the old NASL. Mexico was used in getting their way with the Yanks on the pitch, which at one point El Tri went unbeaten against the Yanks for 43 years. However that has all changed since the 90's, with the Yanks posting 8 wins and 5 draws against 6 losses. Since Bruce Arena has been the coach of the Yanks, the US has gone 4-3-0.

LATEST TEAM NEWS:
Mexico: FIFA Rank: 7
El Tri will have to shift gears a bit, as they come to Korea for the first time in the 2002 World Cup. The team doesn't want to overlook their northern neighbours, because the Aztecas know that the Yanks will have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. El Tri has lost 4 of their last 5 against the Yanks, as the Yanks have increase improved their form against Mexico. Mexico would love to quiet their rival on a Global stage.

USA: FIFA Rank: 13
Jeff Agoos will not play due to a strained right calf that he sustained in the match against Poland. Agoos will be out for 4-6 weeks. The US will be without another starting defensive man, as Frankie Hedjuk picked his second yellow card and will have to sit the match against El Tri.

PROBABLE LINEUPS
Mexico - 3-5-2: Óscar "El Conejo" Pérez; Manuel Vidrio, Rafael Márquez, Salvador Carmona; Jesus "El Cabrito" Arellano, Johan Rodriguez, Braulio Luna, Gerardo Torrado, Ramon Morales; Jared Borgetti, Cuauhtémoc Blanco

USA - 4-4-2: Brad Friedel; -David Regis, Carlos Llamosa, Eddie Pope, Tony Sanneh; Landon Donovan, Claudio Reyna, Earnie Stewart, DeMarcus Beasley; Brian McBride, Clint Mathis

FORM GUIDE
Mexico:
The Aztecas have come out of Group G as the surprising group winners. El Tri hasn't lost a match yet and have played much better than they did in the CONCACAF qualifying matches. El Tri has done this with outstanding ball control and look to do much of the same against the Yanks. El Vasco has not injuries to report and looking very strong to move past their Number One Nemesis into the Quarterfinals.

USA:
The Yanks were very fortunate to move into the Round of 16. Team USA had to depend on help from long-time political allies, South Korea, to get into this knock phase. Now, the Yanks must play the team that they know the best. The Yanks last met El Tri back in March in Denver, Colorado and defeated their southern neighbours by the score of 1-0. Both teams had largely experimental squads, but many of those players will be playing on Monday.

WHO IS HOT
Mexico:
Jared Borgetti has quieted his critics with his performances over the last two matches. He has scored two goals in that time and appears to be the perfect partner with Blanco up front in the Azteca attack. The US has a bad memory of Borgetti, as he scored the only goal in a qualifier match on July 1st of last year. Borgetti will be looking to duplicate that performance again, so El Tri can go to the Quarterfinals for the third time in Mexico's history.

USA:
Brad Friedel has saved two penalty kicks so far in this World Cup. If it wasn't for Friedel, the Yanks might have a goal average that will compare to the likes of Saudi Arabia. Each match so far; Friedel has proved that he was Arena's right choice in goalkeepers. He will need another strong performance against Mexico, if the Yanks want to meet Germany on June 21 at Ulsan, Korea.

WHO IS NOT
Mexico:
It is hard to pick a person, because El Tri has come together in their past 3 matches. The team has used a short passing game to maintain ball possession, which limits their opponent's shots on goal. Opponents need to take their few chances on the Mexican goal, with extreme accuracy or forget putting the ball into the net.

USA:
Jeff Agoos was a very giving soul in the defensive backfield for the Yanks. In 5 of the 6 goals that the opponents scored against the Yanks, Agoos had some part in the play that gave up the point. Unfortunately for Bruce Arena, his options will be limited in finding a replacement for Agoos. Look for Carlos Llamosa to get the nod.

PREVIOUS ENCOUNTERS
These teams have a very rich history of playing each other. The first match took place in 1934 on a neutral in Rome. The Yanks won that meeting, but wouldn't win another match against Mexico until the 80's. Mexico holds the edge in the series with 28 victories in the 68 years. This match up appears to be the unofficial CONCACAF Championship. The winner will have bragging for the months ahead.

soccerage

·
Registered
88 Posts
el Burrito said:
You know what the scariest thing about Mexico is...

Blanco is yet to make his presence truly felt in this WC...
Blanco sucks with his stupid "froggie" move. :fero: :fero:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
This is going to be a thrilling encounter. Above all it will be a chess game between two of the best coaches in this world cup: Aguirre and Arena. I think Mexico has a slight edge because they have been trully good in this WC so far. USA after their big win over Portugal rode their luck to the next round but their biggest limitation is their ownself, meaning they dont know yet how good they are. So far their most experienced players have let them down (Agoos and Reyna) and at some moment they need to raise their game. Beasley, Mathis and Donovan are really exciting but just not at their peak yet and unless Arena has been really good at motivating them, they could go in the game with their knees shaking. To their advantage, Mexico is a team that they have played many times before which can result in them not fearing the big stage as they could be.

A hard win for Mexico is my prediction, simply because they are slightly better in every line apart from goalkeeping.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts