• Draw

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do or die for the Italians if they don't win and Croatia beats Ecuador it will bye bye to the Azurra. Mexico needs at least a tie as well because if they lose and Croatia beats Ecuador then they are out

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hopefully Azurri would switch to 3-4-1-2 formation and playing AS Roma like attacking football. :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Gabemar said:
Mexico needs at least a tie as well because if they lose and Croatia beats Ecuador then they are out

Actually if Mexico loses by only 1 goal and Croatia win by only 1 goal then Mexico will go through on goals scored. And if goal scored is the same, Mexico would still go through on head to head.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
It will be a really difficult game for the Azzuri.Mexico has surprised me so far and i believe they can take what they want...

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I said this in the Italian forum and I'll say it here; Mexico is always a very tough game in teh big events. They often play crappy football and I don't always enjoy watching them (even though I love them dearly) but they are gritty team that always plays up to the competition. Their only glaring achilles heel is their total inability to make PKs. If the game goes to PKs, then Mexico is dead.

Of the group, I want Italy and Mexico to advance as they are in my group of favorites. Hopefully, Italy comes out with a three man attack (Totti, Vieri and whomever) and plays well. Also, if Ecaudor can finally play a decent match and get at least a draw with Croatia, then they'll help the cause. I'm not holding my breath, however, as they have played like crap.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Realistically on paper, Italy shouldn't have a hard time. But, considering that Mexico have won both games, it is hard to count them out. I really hope Mexico pull it off not only cause it is an upset but also because if you live in Toronto and you do not support Italy, you will know:mad:

·
International
8,545 Posts
SPANIARD said:
if you live in Toronto and you do not support Italy, you will know:mad:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

But it doesn't really matter, win lose or draw, it's the same thing all the time:D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Comment: Italy face early Final Sunday 9 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The knock out phase starts a match early for the Azzurri, who must beat Mexico in the last group game. Any of the four teams could still go through and Italy must treat Thursday¡¦s tie as a World Cup Final.

The Central Americans are sitting pretty on top of Group G after an impressive 2-1 victory over Ecuador, who are all but out of the World Cup, but despite a 100% record from their first two games, Mexico are still not assured of a place in the next round.

Giovanni Trapattoni will have witnessed a strong Mexico side that dominated the match, and will not underestimate the team that is currently only one position lower than the Azzurri in the FIFA world rankings.

Italy also know, however, that qualification is still in their own hands. Any sort of victory for them in Oita next Thursday would secure qualification to the knock out phase.

The defeat to Croatia complicated the situation for the Azzurri, but their goal difference at the moment is superior to that of Croatia and even a 1-0 victory would allow them to overtake Mexico.

Besides, it wouldn¡¦t be the World Cup if Italy didn¡¦t struggle at some point.

If Trap¡¦s men are to progress they must use their anger at the officials in the Croatia defeat constructively against Mexico. Trapattoni will have to get his tactics spot on after a miscalculation against the Croats as calls for his resignation are already emerging in the Italian press.

The former Juventus Coach came in for some criticism when the surprise 4-4-2 formation, which saw Pippo Inzaghi start on the bench, failed to impress. It was only when Trap brought the Milan forward on that Italy became the dangerous attacking force we expected.

The Press in the Far East labelled Italy¡¦s defeat as a ¡§surprise¡¨ with Japanese newspaper ¡¥Yomiuri¡¦ claiming the loss was down to the early exit of Alessandro Nesta. ¡¥Sports Nippon¡¦ suggested ¡§it was a strange and unexpected defeat.¡¨

The 3-4-1-2 formation that got the Azzurri to the finals seems to provide more attacking options for Trap, with Francesco Totti playing in the hole.

But with Nesta picking up an injury which could rule him out of the crucial Mexico tie, he may need to field a 4-man defence for extra cover, particularly on the strength of Marco Materazzi¡¦s disappointing World Cup debut.

Ecuador, although not mathematically out of the tournament, are in a situation where they must win by four clear goals and hope the other result goes their way.

After the Italy victory Croatia will be on the crest of a wave. The confidence will be sky high, with their Coach Mirko Jozic labelling his players ¡§heroes¡¨ after the match.

Although Ecuador will still be hungry for their first ever World Cup point, I still expect Croatia to come through with the victory, which means it is essential for the Azzurri to win their match against Mexico.

Trapattoni must put all the controversy of the last match behind him and concentrate on Mexico as if it was the Final.

It won¡¦t be easy as even Mexico are still not assured of a place in the second round. A defeat for the Central Americans could see the top three positions decided on goal difference.

The group is one of the most finely balanced in the tournament, but I am confident of the Azzurri progressing to the next round.

channel4

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
italy will be desperate to win
but mexico isnt a easy opponent
vieri has some leg injury
hopefully he'll be better

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
It's gotta be the AZZURRI

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Italy Defender Nesta Expects To Play Against Mexico
Mexico - Italy | News Archive

06/10/2002. Alessandro Nesta told reporters today that he expects to play against Mexico, despite his foot injury is still bothering him.

"I feel better, and I'm improving as the minutes pass by. I expect to be able to play in Oita on Thursday," said Nesta.

The Lazio skipper also added that he believes the whole team will need to perform extremely well against Mexico, if Italy want to make it through to the knock-out phase.

"My presence won't be enough to win, we need to play as the real Italy if we want to defeat Aguirre's impressive side."

soccerage
--------------------
great to hear that nesta is gonna play... :)

·
Registered
25,443 Posts
Italy will surely advance to the next level. I don't know how but they will, they always do in these situations :)

Trapattoni should play Montella, he's the type of player who saves the team.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good luck to Italy they really deserve it.Mexico will be stiff competition to beat but i'm convinced that Italy will be celebrating in the end.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Anyway, has both the teams attempt to make friends with the referees?? The match officials has a great influence on the outcome of the match..

:D

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Im calling it a Draw, but I wont Cry if Mexico Wins :dielaugh: !!!
BTW ... Trap....send Italy with one striker again...then make sure you NEVER ever step into Italy in your lifetime !!!

Cattenaccio is for Anti-Soccer Chickenns !!!! :howler:
Attacking Football is for Real Men !!! :tongue:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Midfield headache for Trap Monday 10 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni could be left without Gigi Di Biagio and Cristiano Zanetti for the Mexico clash because of injury.

Di Biagio (pictured) picked up a new injury in the side¡¦s final training session on Monday after he pulled up with a right calf problem. He is set to undergo tests on Tuesday in order to ascertain the extent of the damage.

"At this moment in time it is far too early to say what this could mean," said an Italian Football Federation spokesman. "We will carry out tests and know more in the morning."

The Inter man did feature in the 2-0 win over Ecuador but missed the second clash against Croatia because of a neck injury.

But Di Biagio¡¦s replacement Cristiano Zanetti is also struggling to be fit for the must win Mexico game after he damaged his foot in the 2-1 loss against Croatia.

Should both Inter players miss Thursday¡¦s tie then the Azzurri tactician will be forced to play Milan man Gennaro Gattuso in the middle of the park alongside Damiano Tommasi.

channel4
---------------------------
Nesta: I¡¦ll be fit for Mexico Monday 10 June, 2002

Azzurri defender Alessandro Nesta believes that he has enough time to prove his fitness ahead of the crunch tie with Mexico.

Italy take on the Central American outfit on Thursday knowing that only a win will guarantee them a place in the last 16 of the World Cup.

"My foot is causing me some pain and is still swollen. But there are three days to the game and I¡¦m hopeful that I can make it," he said.

"It is getting better every day and I¡¦m just following what the doctors are telling me to do. I¡¦ll play with an injection if necessary."

Nesta picked up the problem in the game against Croatia where in his absence the Italy rearguard looked ill at ease in the shock 2-1 defeat. With his replacement Marco Materazzi and captain Paolo Maldini coming in for major criticism.

"We had a nine-minute blackout that affected the whole team rather than just one player," continued the 26-year-old.

"Obviously when a team concedes a goal then something has gone wrong in defence. But to blame Maldini is not right because he is an important player for us.

"We have some amazing defenders in Italy. Just look at how well Fabio Cannavaro played on Saturday. We do need to improve as a team but we have a great defence that can be relied upon."

The Lazio defender, who is at the centre of transfer interest from Juventus, Inter and Real Madrid, was also sure that his side could progress through to the Second Round.

"We are convinced there is no stronger team in the group than us," he concluded.

channel4

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Italy playing 3-4-1-2 or something else is all going to depend on the availibility of Nesta.

If Nesta plays, I think trap would go into the game in the 3-4-1-2. and if he doesn't then something different. Anyway I don't see trap going for 3-4-1-2 with Materazzi.:eek:

All the same a victory is a must. 1-0 would do.

Colocolo - don't like Italian football ?? simple solution. stop following Italian football. Tell me if all teams play attacking football, from where will the variety come ? I for instance would like to see diferent kinds of football. It gets quite boring for me to see a similar kind of football. Not everybody looks to football in the way u do. Though I would like the Italian team to opt for a more risky style. But I doubt Trap is going to risk anything for this match.

Ciao

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
colocolo said:
Cattenaccio is for homosexuals !!!! :howler:
Attacking Football is for Real Men !!! :tongue:
Nice prejudices. I sinserely hope there´s no homosexual person here that could see this ridiculous "joke?", because you have pretty much insulted a huge group of people by saying that they aren´t real men.
You can have your opinion about homosexuals, religious people, transvestities or whatever but try to keep them out of the forum please.

Regarding the match, I am worried. I wouldn´t be so worried if Trap wasn´t so stupid and went back to the 3-4-1-2 formation that is the formation that we are much more used of. Also our players are suited for the position.

Doni has failed so far and it´s time to bring in Coco as the new left winger, but in the formation I want.

This is the lineup I wanna see in this match:

Buffon

Cannavaro - Materazzi - Maldini

Zambrotta - Tomassi - Zanetti - Coco

Totti

Montella - Vieri

This is if Nesta is indeed injured. Materazzi sucked against Croatia, but he´s normally worldclass and I really hope that he will show himself a lot more in this match.

Time for Montella as well. Ridiculous that the most on form striker hasn´t played one minute so far. :wth:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Di Biagio is out, so I'd play Doni as central midfieder next to Tommasi, move Totti as trequartista and add another striker. I like 4-3-1-2. Also, Maldini in central defence and Coco as left back.

Buffon

Panucci Cannavaro Maldini Coco

Zambrotta Tommasi Doni

Totti

Vieri MONTELLA

1 - 20 of 123 Posts