Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not a USA or Mexico message board, but since a few of us here live in the US and are soccer starved, and since it is a slow news day, I thought I'd talk a bit about the game. Did anyone have a chance to watch that game last night? I thought it was one of the poorest displays of international soccer that I had ever seen. The quality in that game was so poor that it bordered on the absurd. Having watched a few of Mexico's games, I believe Ecuador will probably be the tougher of the two in our group. Honestly, I can't see us giving up a goal to Mexico in the first game.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Well, Mexico will be playing at Giant Stadium next month agains Bulgaria so we can go see them live.

I missed almost all of the game last night, but from what I hear, the US was using mostly MLS players and Mexico had a few injuries.

I will say this though, I think the US has finally found someone that can finish on the International level and he is Clint Mathis. This guy deserves to be playing in Europe and rumor has it that he will be playing for Manchester City next season.

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Yep, I guess that Ecuador will be more dangerous, and we have a great record vs. Mexico. Thier preformances were lack-lustre to say the least in the friendlies, ours weren't much better, but at least we haven't lost (except the Korea 'b" squad game)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of going to watch that game v. Bulgaria. It might be decent. Mathis is interesting. He is very good off the ball, knows how to position himself well, takes chances, but I still think he lacks the ability to take on defenders with the ball. I would like to see how he fares in Europe. England would be a good fit for him, seeing as he could fire the ball at the goal all day long in that league.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Trikky, I've seen mathis take on a defender a few times. I think it was in the Olympics where he was given a nice through ball and used his speed to beat the defender and score a goal. He's done it a few times with the Metrostars as well....he's got something that the US NT has not had probably ever and that is that he is a true finisher.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
US is a good squad. I reckon they'll go through. It won't be easy but as long as they don't retain the same problem that all US teams have regarding soccer then they'll do just fine.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
think about it.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
That's exactly the problem.

You have to believe.

I saw the Polish left back play today with Fayenoord v. Inter and he did not look impressive. The American flankers and attackers can play with anybody.

The problem I was referring to was the mentalilty the US team has. They think that the beautiful game is not an American game thus they can't play it.

This is HUEY!

America has good players and if they play with confidence and pride then they'll do just fine.

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord......"

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ljubuski, very good point...but the real big problem is that in the US the best athletes don't play soccer....they are playing baseball, basketball, football. The other problem is that soccer is either a sport played by immigrants kids or in these middle class areas. With the middle class kids for the most part, its more of a fun thing rather than a serious thing.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
I see, but many of those who play those other sports don't have the physical stature to play soccer. A 6'5 guard will not have (on avergage) as good of touch as a 5'10 regular joe on the ball. He's too big. Same goes for all the behemoths who play football. Only at CB and maybe QB ot TB can they be regarded ideal physically for soccer. I know that there are exceptions to the rule.

Reyna, Mathis, Keller, Stewart......all good players and in my opinion (I've watched them play many games) are good enough to take on anybody.

For my part I say sport is 90% mental. You have to go into this tourney fightin'. Otherwise there's no point in going. I love the American tradition.

"We never have and never will lose a war, because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans"

A 'kick ass' mentality that will prove one day the underlying reason why the US turned into a WC champion from a WC participant.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Claudio Reyna is a very good player...but once again, immigrant parents...his parents are from Argentina. Plus he was raised in the heart of US Soccer....Kerney, New Jersey. More players came from Kearney and represented the NT than any place in the US. Reyna, Tab Ramos, John Harkes, Tony Meola, and there are a few others. That is a working class area most of which are immigrants.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
JureM makes an excellent point - If you're 5'10, 180 with exceptional speed and quickness, do you pursue football (American) where you can be WR and/or a CB in the NFL and make a few million or pursue Soccer and make 100K? Though, athletes are now starting to realize that they stand a much better chance at cracking the pro ranks in Soccer where the competition by athletic marvels are much lesser than the other three major sports, we're still getting a much smaller pool compared to the other sports.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts