Xtratime Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
why the lengthened discussion? what’s happening is a consequence of bad finances and there’s no way out of it. we have one of two choices, either downsize and take a step backward to start rebuilding or continue on the path of the sinking ship.

no one in his right mind would want to take the second path and the first means sacrificing and loss, after all it’s a consequence. so, forget about competing with Milan and let anyone who wants to leave go.

big or small, competing or rebuilding, with or without stars (Totti included) all the true fans will still be here and will still be cheering on.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Thotobald said:
When we can't challenge Milan today, how can we challenge them with a weakened squad next season? After all, they will almost for certain reinforce their squad.
I know it sounds hollow from a Juventus fan, but my childhood team Silkeborg, who was consistently a top team in the mid 90's, is now on the path to return to the top flight in Denmark after one season in the second best division, and is much healthier financially and with a better structure after the 'stars' have been sold off. Not that henrik Pedersen at bolton compares to Totti or Cassano, but you know :).

Roma and Silkeborg are WOLRDS apart of course, but if downsizing over 3 years or something means that you have an operation that isn't losing money, then you can count on your substantial backing from the tifosi and the seemingly superb youth section you have going. De Rossi, D'Agostino, Aquilani, Lanzaro... now Corvia etc. It also 'helps' that many serieA clubs are having problems, because there won't be as many teams looking to offer your players juicier contracts, which makes it easier to renegotiate salaries. Salaries that are bound to be going down in Italy over the next few years.

What matters is that you stay up while undergoing this rebuilding, because otherwise none of the bandieri will remain. Look at Parma; they've sold an unreal number of star players over the last 3-4 years, their squad is thin, yet they're in with a shot at 4th place. Right now is the time to build for Roma, because the competition isn't that tough. For Lo scudetto it is, but Roma won't be a long term competitor without sustainable finances, and you will get the UEFA cup and rival for CL no matter what happens with players like Totti, Samuel etc.

I fully understand why you'd want for eventual sales to be made to anyone but the northern teams though. I feel the same about Davids possibly shaping up for Milan, Inter or Roma next season.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
If our finances are as precarious as they are made out to be then we'll probably have to do it, but there is no guarantee we will ever get back up again. The problem with downsizing and trying to gradually build a team up over time is that there is no guarantee that we'll actually come back with a great or even a good side. Zebina and Emerson are gone, if Samuel goes then i think Tottis departure is pretty iminent, Cassano of course will follow his hero etc.. Its like falling dominos. Downsizing means a loss of competivness in the league and CL, so while we would have earned money on wages and transfers we will lose out on potential prize money and televsion rights

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Glen said:
Pardon :). I'll butt out :).
I wasn't complaining but wondering, and it was wonder at the discussion between two of our members (I liked your post :) ).

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Im sorry, but Redondo is not a weak player, just because he is reserve to Pirlo it doesnt mean he is crap, he could do a valuable job and he is for free. He hasnt been injured for over a year now too but thats because he doesnt play. He was better than our reserve midfield including De Rossi in the coppa matches. He was Milan's best player.

Hopefully our finances are better and we dont have to resort to free's but at the moment we may have to.

I think Totti will still stay if we make 1 huge signing even with the loss of Samuel. IMO Vieri is that, Totti would love to play with him as he has stated before, or so I have heard.

First things first, Samuel hasnt gone yet, Emerson may probably go but to me he is a big loss, but not the biggest one we can face and is replacable.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well I mean if we are selling 4 or 5 players on high wages we are allowed to take 1 or 2 in.

It will still be balancing the books and still make us competetive.

I even think Vieri will take a slight wage cut just to have the prospect of playing with Totti and Cassano at club level for a year or two.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Thotobald said:
It is a forum right?
am I holding you back from anything?

and Deano, it all depends on how bad our situation is.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Vieri would be here for a year or two, during 'down sizing' which will bring, inevitablely poor(er) results. Vieri would hardly be worth it, particularly when we wont be fighting for anything, paying his transfer fee, signing on fee and wages just seems contradictory. The truth is though, we dont know how bad the finances really are, we may not even have to down size at all.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I agree, we need to know the full extent of our situation currently.

Basically if we take a step back then we have 2 options...

1 - Play our youngsters starting from next season... they may not get results immediately, or they may, but we know they may take time and we probably wont win the scudetto for a few years unless our youth is better than expected.

2 - Try and fill any gaps with free transfers and older players who were good but may be risks nowadays, and will probably want higher wages. Allowing our youngsters some time and less pressure to come through.

In fact from all Ive said, the first option is cheaper and probably better, for a couple of years we may concede the title but still be good enough for Cl football, having said that, depending on how we do in the transfer market with the few buys we get, we could still be a good scudetto chance with the first option.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I know we have had a bad press recently concerning debts,though why the pessimism shown.Players like Mexes cost very little to buy,yet ASR are going to save thousands by freeing the likes of Montella,Panucci,Del Vecchio,Candela who have all contributed very little this season and we have already reduced wage bill by Zebina joining Milan,and probably save a huge amount on the departure of Emerson which should also net us a tidy transfer sum.So,to buy Mexes(who costs c.£5million),and another class midfielder and one top quality attacker is well within our reach.In fact,we could do ALL this and still save on our wage bill,so fall into our restructuring plans.Next year,we can utilise more of our youth to give us depth(D'Agostino,De Rossi,,Aquilani etc)
I remember last year,there was so much gllom in the summer over transfers,yet Franco Baldini delivered Chivu to us.I am sure he will not let us down.In fact Euro 2004,gives us opportunity to view possible targets.For instance,Grygera of Czech Rep.
If aSR wants to make money,it needs to stay competitive.Its by being sucessful you net greater gate receipts,higher sponsorship deals and sell more merchandise.Also greater TV revenue.This is the way forward,not settling for mid table.Collectively,we have to focus on our objectives,and not carry any dead weights around.AS ROMA can stay at the TOP,though it needs all of us together to make it happen,starting with the Summer Tour.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Ajax wont let us take Grygera too ;) would they?

Although I completely agree with you!

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Well, considering the big debts and the huge current payroll, it would take a lot more sacrifices than just selling Emerson and replacing him with a cheaper player to get us back to some stable financial position. We don't really need Mexes IMO if we keep Samuel which is still very probable, we already have 2 worldclass defenders. And I really doubt Mexes'll cost only 3-5 mil, it looks like the whole Europe is after him. And he would want a huge salary.

I think there's a way to stay competitive and still improve considerably the financial position. Sell Emerson , try to offload Panucci and Candella, don't resign Lima and give the youngsters more chances. Don't sign old players with high wages, we should look in the long run. Sign players like

Anyway, here's the first Sensi interview after the Wednesday's deal with Capitalia:

"Roma president Franco Sensi has made his first public appearance after selling part of his estate to keep the club afloat - insisting that he will stay at the helm.
Sensi believes that the time has come for everyone at the club to pull together and help the Giallorossi out of its current financial crisis.

"We must continue together for Roma's good," said Sensi. "I have only done my duty.

"I still have the strength to fight this crisis and I've decided to continue for Roma's good.

"I have been delighted that the fans still show their affection for me. I thank them and I want to tell them that I'm proud.

"There is still so much that this Roma can do.

"Now we can start again with a big club and a big team. The supporters can be calm - Roma will remain competitive."

Looks like Sensi will stay as president for another year at least, because there were no willing investors to replace him, apart from the deal with Capitalia.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
No Italy move for Mexes Monday 12 April, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma and Juventus are set to lose out in the chase to sign Auxerre youngster Phillipe Mexes.

The French international has been heavily linked with both sides but reports suggest he’s on his way to the Premiership.

Although it is believed that the central defender would like a move to Serie A, Liverpool are in pole position for the stopper.

The Anfield outfit are allegedly ready to offer £6m for Mexes, a fee that neither Juve or Roma are willing to match.

Juventus have been tracking Mexes for a number of months as they look to strengthen their ageing defence.

The Bianconeri officials had visited the French club on a number of occasions this term to watch Olivier Kapo – who will arrive in the summer.

Yet they were also left impressed with the performances of the 23-year-old defender who is tipped for a great future.

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
We definitey wont pay that amount for him but I hink juve may have something to say.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts