Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mexes set for Roma? Friday 2 April, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma are today being linked with a summer swoop for Auxerre youngster Philippe Mexes.

The 22-year-old is believed to be on the club’s shortlist should they lose Walter Samuel at the end of the season.

The central defender could be on his way out of the capital and Mexes is a contender to replace the Argentine next term.

The French international is a promising young stopper that has attracted the interest of Europe’s top clubs in recent times.

The likes of Man Utd are reportedly keen, even if Juventus have been eyeing him in the past few weeks.

The Giallorossi are also looking for a possible replacement for Emerson who is set to be sacrificed.

Deportivo La Coruna midfielder Aldo Pedro Duscher, 25, could be drafted in if the Brazilian is sold.

channel4

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
samuel for mexes, i hope not....not like samuel is anywhere near old...i dont take any of those comments in the press to serious either....cause i dont even see us having a chance to get Mexes even if Samuel was to be sold.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well Ive heard Mexes is basically all but tied to Juve now, so this is probably crap :) I hope we dont Samuel for anyone!

As for Duscher replacing Emerson, hes a good player but there are other alternatives I feel which can be better.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I think rumours these are proving what I've been afraid of for months now:

RESIGNATION

Replacing Emerson and Samuel with Duscher and Mexes would be a step backwards for Roma. Yes, both are very solid footballers, but to keep up with Milan and Juventus, perhaps also Inter, we need to strengthen our squad, not weaken it.

Although it's only rumours, I'm worried about the tendency. Week after week, we are linked with replacements of our stars that simply aren't good enough.

Besides, if we sell Samuel and Emerson, it pretty much proves that we do have enormous problems with our economy. Where could we find money for Mexes and Duscher anyway? Btw, I heard something about Mexes being free transfer due to some issues with his contract at Auxerre. Is this true?

I can't really see any reason for Roma being a top team next season as well.
Selling some players is almost certain, and we won't be able to replace them with good enough players.

The only way we can remain a top-team is not selling our players, but buy new ones, which at this moment of time seems almost impossible. And that's only possible if we get a rich owner, which also seems difficult...

Why are we constantly being favourites for players we, by no chance, can afford? Clubs like Juventus, Man U etc,etc, are lining up for Mexes, but we are favourites. :rolleyes: Stupid it is.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Emerson's contract is out next year, he wont sign a new contract, we have to sell him in the summer or lose €25million or so on his transfer. Your right about Mexes, he's able to go in the summer for €3million i believe which is not impossible for us and should we lose Samuel he'd be ideal. I heard an interview with him a view years ago where he said that Roma and Man U were interested in him, he said he'd prefer Roma since Sensi was the first one to show interest in him, thats probably the reason, although im still sure if it came to the crunch he'd go to Madrid, Juve or wherever.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Real Madrid won't buy a central defender this summer, because they want to let their young players, who really suck, play with the :star: in the club. Then there is only one or perhaps two that can realistically be capable of buying Samuel: Chelsea and Barcelona. I don't think any Serie A- club will be allowed to buy Samuel. In addition you have Man U and Arsenal, but I doubt any of them will buy such an expensive player.

Mexes, on the other hand, has hundreds of interested, and 50 capable of buying him. Why would he choose Roma if he haven't got a special relationship with the club, when payments are missing every season.

Would someone offer €25million for Emerson, when they know that he will be free in one year? Chelsea perhaps, but they have like 10 quality midfielders from before. :tongue:

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Well, the wages situation has been going on for a few years now and players have understood that and still joined the club, there is no question that one way or another the players will get their money, Chivu had at least 5 giants after him with much healthier finances but he joined us, Lucio almost did the same in a similar situation. If Samuel stayed and Zebina left then he'd be guaranteed a starting position with arguably the best defence in the world, a Champions League side with immense potential, plus he does have a special relationship with us, since Sensi was the first one to show an interest, sent him Roma jerseys with his name on the back, called him etc.

In relation to Samuel, again, if he actually said he wants to leave then i would hate it if we kept him here under false pretences, infact if he said that id be reluctant to be playing him, even now.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Lucio actually chose not to join Roma because of the money trouble....

The question is whether or not he will be able to ignore the fact that they payments will come irregular, and that he will risk not getting all the money he has agreed on in the contract.

Anyway, buying Mexes will not happen unless Samuel leaves I guess. We have to fill the spot Zebina will leave after a good season, but I consider Dellas more likely than Mexes honestly.:depress:

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Maybe that can explain his latest drop in form. I don't want him in Roma if he doesn't want to be there. I'm down with selling him and buying another defender, perhaps Mexes, but I fear those money won't go to anything but debt clearance. :depress:

What other options than Mexes have we got if we sell Samuel? I like Zaccardo from Bologna, but have no idea about his value. Not good enough to replace Samuel either. If we want to remain a top club, we have to use 50% of Samuel's sale on a new one. Won't happen.

Our defence next season might be Dellas, Chivu and Panucci..:eek:

------------------------------------------------------
04/02/2004. SoccerAge.com can reveal that Auxerre defender Philippe Mexes is more than likely to be playing his football at Juventus next season.

The Bianconeri, after the defensive problems they've had this season, are keen to add reinforcements to their squad, and a deal for Mexes would appear to be all but done.

Roma have also been following the Frenchman, but their financial problems look to have ruled them out of the chase, thus leaving the path clear for Juve.
Alberto Masu

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
I have this sneaking suspicion that we are in for a long off-season. And I'm not in the mood to discuss dream transfers from April to September when we have no money and are in so much debt. It's sad to read such words from Samuel, but players like him want to get paid for their services and get paid on time. They are probably also a little sick of the drama in Rome surrounding every move. Heck, the last year has caused some hair loss for me and I'm just a fan. Imagine how the players feel dealing with rumors every week, not getting paid, seeing Ultras ruin the derby, etc., etc. Why wouldn't Samuel and others want to go to an outfit that is more stable?
Calcio is a business and it's one in which we've failed at. The whole situation is disturbing and not something that can be easily worked out. The best we can hope for is a new buyer, and minus that, an almost complete revolution of players, wages and club structure. Maybe we can keep Totti & Cassano and build around that. That's my humble dream.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is it a joke? I think it is impossible because Roma has not enough money to buy him. :rollani:

On the other hand, I think Roma do not need a back now. The player in this team is enough. The defense of Roma is the best in this season of Calcio. The most important, I think, is midfield. The back of this team did not change a lot.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
romafan53 said:
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=194466

I am very dissapointed with Samuel, i thought a lot more of him.
Well, I've learned not to believe rumours from the English sites reporting that player X wants desperately to move to England and especially Chelsea. Everyone and his dog supposedly dream of playing in the Premiership. I mean, why would Samuel sign a new contract at the start of the season after a disastrous last one and then wants to leave when the team is performing much better? And it's not that we didn't have huge financial problems back then too.

About Mexes - not gonna happen, even if ( God forbid!) we sell Samuel.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
you are the joke seeler1970, we add Chivu to our back line and then Zebina finds his form and the season after we lose Samuel and Zebina and you say that the defense hadn’t changed much?

we can’t buy anyone and even if Mexes is let out on free transfer we still can’t afford high wages, and rest assured other clubs will offer higher wages than we can afford. we can only add smartly from now till we’re out of the woods (good players don’t have to be well known players before they join you and Mancini is an example).

Samuel gave us his all since he joined and if he wants out now, for whatever reason, then best of luck to him.

there’s no point in dreaming like Primo pointed out, we can only hope that we keep as much of our players as we can and if we’re to lose any of ‘em then I hope we don’t screw ourselves more than we’re already screwed by buying huge just to lose in the short run. by keeping Totti, Cassano, Mancini and Chivu and by adding smartly and giving our youth a chance we’d be a strong side, may not be scudetto contenders but still strong, and we’ll grow from there till we beat our finances. that’s much better IMO than competing on a high level for a couple of season and then falling hard.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The problem is that if guys like Samuel, Chivu, Totti and even Cassano are sold this summer this will be a big shock for the team. They basically make the team and if any of them are sold and Roma doesn't perform as well I think that more players will want to be offloaded...:( I mean why play for a team that's very financially unstable and also playing like crap?
Anyway that's just what I think.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
As I said before we have to be smart about this. Of course Samuel is now one of the best defenders in the world, but when we bought him he wasnt! We can easily sell him for 20 million and go out and buy a reasonably unknown to many around the world but great defender and bring them to Roma, and make him into the next Samuel. If Zebina goes, I hope we still own Bovo because he can easily be drafted in to replace Zebina, I think Bovo will be one of the best defenders in Italy in a short space of time.

As for the midfield, another area to be smart, Emerson will go i suppose, 25 million is a great deal for us, he is influential but to me the least important of our 5 influential players, even if he is our best midfielder.

Redondo and Davids will be free in the summer, Davids may go Barca, but even then Redondo would be agreat signing for 1 or 2 years. Then we can bring De Rossi and Aquilani through to be the players they promise as both can be back up to an old Redondo, but still very much talented one. He ran the show against us in the coppa and deserves to be back up in no team still.

In attack I am sure Corvia wouldnt be too far behind Gilardino if given a chance at this high level.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Deano said:
As I said before we have to be smart about this. Of course Samuel is now one of the best defenders in the world, but when we bought him he wasnt! We can easily sell him for 20 million and go out and buy a reasonably unknown to many around the world but great defender and bring them to Roma, and make him into the next Samuel. If Zebina goes, I hope we still own Bovo because he can easily be drafted in to replace Zebina, I think Bovo will be one of the best defenders in Italy in a short space of time.

As for the midfield, another area to be smart, Emerson will go i suppose, 25 million is a great deal for us, he is influential but to me the least important of our 5 influential players, even if he is our best midfielder.

Redondo and Davids will be free in the summer, Davids may go Barca, but even then Redondo would be agreat signing for 1 or 2 years. Then we can bring De Rossi and Aquilani through to be the players they promise as both can be back up to an old Redondo, but still very much talented one. He ran the show against us in the coppa and deserves to be back up in no team still.

In attack I am sure Corvia wouldnt be too far behind Gilardino if given a chance at this high level.
Hence, we won't be competitive for 3 or 4 years, which is okay with me, but the question is whether or not it's that popular among our stars, especially Totti, who wants to win something.

You see, replacing Samuel with an unknown player that might blossom, replacing Emerson with a superannuated Redondo, and make Corvia our target man, won't bring success to the club. It will make Totti angry and/or disappointed. The whole thing sounds a little bit stone age, but I do understand Totti's problem.

Personally, I don't think 3 or 4 off-seasons is that horrible. It's better having a couple of average seasons, like Parma and Lazio's latest seasons, than fall hard like Fiorentina. Just like Wolfie said.

Wow, Totti would disagree with every fibre of his body:tongue:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
We wouldnt fall off, not too far for sure.

Redondo is as good as any midfielder still from whenever I have seen him play, he just hasnt got the chance as much, he is still definitely better than Tacchinardi, for example.

I just think we need a solid team to be a round a front 3. Nothing special, just solid.

I would love for us to get a forward with many goals in him this summer. I would sacrifice Emerson for this. If we could get Vieri in a swap deal for Emerson I would be over the moon. It would make our team somewhat old, but then again, that would make up that 3 year gap between now and when our young players come through. I just thinK Corvia should be at least on the bench for us.

We need to sell som eplayers like Candela, Delvecchio, Panucci who take up alot on the wage bill when they dont need to. If Samuel and Emerson go, then as long as we get 2 reliable players in exchange plus Vieri :tongue: I wouldn't think our next season chances are up at all.

I think there are probably many cheap defenders around the world who can come in and all of a sudden be great for us, maybe not a Samuel, but can be reliable.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
About Redondo. If we want to challenge AC Milan, how is that possible if we buy a reserve from them? Besides, he is even more injury prone than Montella, which is disadvantageous. He was huge at his best, but now he's not better than De Rossi. He would be a bad replacement, as he would also demand high wages.

I think what you suggest now is something in between. Vieri is excellent, but old. And lets not forget his astronomical wage.
IMO, we should either settle with being among the 6 best in the league, or continue the way we do today, being serious contenders.

The mix between those two, which you suggest, would not bring us anything than some okay incomes due to some slightly higher sales than purchases, a still high wage bill, and some lacklustre performances.

When we can't challenge Milan today, how can we challenge them with a weakened squad next season? After all, they will almost for certain reinforce their squad.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
It's so difficult to guess what's going to happen with all the financial issues sorrounding serieA these years. It looks as if the government/parliament has toughened up, and the save calcio decree remains in danger of being repelled as illegal under EU regulations.

Lazio for instance came out this weeek saying how noone at Lazio would be making more than €1million a year next season. If that's pre-tax I don't know but if it is that means they won't have a genuine star left on their roster.
Their financial problems are somewhat worse than Roma's, especially because Roma have much better player assets, but one must assume that Roma will have to downsize considerably... unless of course there's a Russian take over or something extraordinary like that.

Of course Baldini continously denies that there could be problems of the magnitude that's being reported, but Sensi really has to spring a surprise to be able to both make the serieA enlisting, keep the star players and add new quality the likes of Philippe Mexés.

Like Primo said... hot Summer ahead it seems, and while I'd be super happy for Juventus to have a shot at taking Samuel, it would really be a devastating blow to serieA for Roma, Lazio and Parma to be cut down to also rans :(.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts