Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The season is upon us and our Mighty Metros are preparing for the New Season. The best team in the MLS are in Equadore

On location: Back to business

MetroStars.com
Youri Djorkaeff has been a popular figure for the Ecuadorian media. (MetroStars)
GUAYAQUIL, Ecuador - Friday is the first day of a tough four-day stretch for the MetroStars. They have four days without any games and will be practicing twice a day to get ready for the season. Here is an inside look into this portion of the MetroStars' preseason trip to Ecuador.
Local ties: Trialist Ramon Bailey, who has been very active in the MetroStars attack over the first two preseason games in Ecuador, has some New York area ties. He spent 2003 at Mercer County Community College, which is just outside of Trenton, N.J.

SuperDraft picks: Both of the MetroStars 2005 MLS SuperDraft selections, Tim Ward and Chris Corcoran, have seen 45 minutes in each of the MetroStars preseason games. Both have been playing as outside defenders, but they have yet to be on the field at the same time.

Recent MetroStars signing Youri Djorkaeff arrived in Ecuador on Tuesday and is fully participating in the team's training sessions, though he has not seen action in scrimmages. He did not appear in the game Thursday, which disappointed some fans who were eager to catch a peek of the World Cup champion in action.

No more busses: The MetroStars last game of their trip to Ecuador will take place in Guayaquil at Barcelona SC's stadium, which is less than a mile away from the squad's home base. This is great news for the Metros team that has grown tired of busses after spending a combined 12 hours traveling in a 72 hour stretch.

Sizing up the opponent: It is rumored that the MetroStars might make a trip to see Barcelona play El Nacional de Quito. The game is at Barcelona's stadium right in Guayaquil and will provide the Metros with a glimpse of the team that they will play on Tuesday.

Quotable: MetroStars midfielder Amado Guevara to the Ecuadorian press: "I don't want to win anymore individual awards. I want the next trophy I win to be the MLS Cup trophy. No one remembers any of these individual awards, but everyone will remember the first championship team in New York."

Ping pong: It was like Christmas morning when the players awoke Friday and found that the complex they are staying in has added a second ping pong table. With the tough four days that the team has ahead of them, the complex management can be sure that the new table will get its fair share of use by Tuesday.

Ecuadorian quick fact of the day: The Andean Condor is the most famous Ecuadorian bird and is found on the shield of the Ecuadorian flag. With its 10-foot wingspan, it is the largest flying bird in the world

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I cannot wait to see how Djorkaeff plays in the MLS. Hopefully he will be able to cope with the hard hot summer, something that he must get used to. Having a player such as Youri is great for the MLS, especially in teaching youngsters like Eddie Gaven how to play the game at the highest level.

Maybe Youri will tell Eddie to go to Italy, not England in a few years. Hopefully. :D

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
That frenchman will go on a holiday come August as is costumary on the other side of the pond. Will he pull a 'Matheus' of will he report back? That is the question.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andr3w said:
I cannot wait to see how Djorkaeff plays in the MLS. Hopefully he will be able to cope with the hard hot summer, something that he must get used to. Having a player such as Youri is great for the MLS, especially in teaching youngsters like Eddie Gaven how to play the game at the highest level.

Maybe Youri will tell Eddie to go to Italy, not England in a few years. Hopefully. :D
I hope Eddie stays right where he is at.. But we both know MLS players have no say on where they end up. The MLS owns them for the lengrh of their contract. So they will go to the highest bidder. :sigh: Do you really think Ralph wanted to go to Russia.
I will bet that there will be a players labor dispute in the next two years, wanting more say in their football future.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its good to see Youri start his career in the MLS right where he left off in the EPL Injured.

MetroStars' Djorkaeff out of action
Strained left hamstring to keep recent signee out four to six weeks
By Jason Halpin / MLSnet.com Staff
Youri Djorkaeff (in green) practiced with the MetroStars in Ecuador. (MetroStars)
New MetroStars signee Youri Djorkaeff will be sidelined for four to six weeks due to a strained left hamstring. The attacking midfielder developed the injury while training with his new team in Ecuador.
"It's disappointing to Youri and the team that we have suffered a minor setback in our preparation for the season," said MetroStars head coach Bob Bradley. "Nonetheless, we are confident that we will have Youri ready to go as quickly as possible."

Djorkaeff signed with the MetroStars three weeks ago in one of the biggest player acquisitions of this MLS offseason, becoming just the third World Cup winner ever to sign with the league. He joined the Metros for training on March 1 in the midst of their preseason excursion to Ecuador.

Despite not playing in any of the club's matches in Ecuador, Djorkaeff quickly established himself as a team leader after meeting up with the squad in South America. During a media conference call Monday, Bradley praised Djorkaeff's professionalism and ability to guide the team's young players.

"He understands when you're in a situation like this in preseason it's not just what takes place on the field, but it's getting know players off the field, having time for the younger guys, all these things," Bradley said. "I think he has made a tremendous first impression in all those ways."

Though Djorkaeff has apparently had an immediate impact on the club in training, the Metros will now have to wait a little longer to see how he performs in a match. The MetroStars emphasized that the injury is not serious, characterizing it as just a bump in the road.

It is the second hamstring injury Djorkaeff has suffered in the last six months. In October, a hamstring injury helped bring to a close Djorkaeff's brief stint with English Premier League club Blackburn Rovers. The former French international had played just three matches for Rovers prior to the injury and did not return to the lineup prior to leaving Ewood Park.

"This is an unfortunate setback, but it is important to remember that it is only a strained hamstring," said MetroStars President and General Manager Nick Sakiewicz. "We are keeping him back for some rehab and fitness work, and we expect that he will be ready to go soon."

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Sammy Ochoa..a young Mexicant-born US U 20 forward, will likely be a discovery playa And stirker Davies(a very touted playa...da next US star?) will probably cum out in May , n' enta da league :confused:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pre season match where Deportivo Cuenca was to play the Metrostars on March 23rd has been postponed till June. The central american side saw that the New York area is scheduled for an Ice storm next week and figured they would wait till June where the weather would be more to their liking.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kyro the Red said:
I look forward to the little home town team of Columbus laying the smackdown on all you bigcity rollers.

/Grabs coat and Runs
Ah Nothing beats small town dreams.Unfortunately they are just that Fantastic dreams. :D

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Djorkaef wont be able to handle the MLS. The MLS is full of young players and he just wont be able to keep this up. The Metrostras shouldve signed a few young strikers (especially some from Albania :stuckup:)

·
Registered
69,460 Posts
Metrostars were rumoured to sign a Croatian striker and he was encouraged to sign with them by his girlfriend (model, who wanted to go to NY) :D but instead he signed in the Bundesliga.
Anyway, Djorkaef is out for today but on a television show he said that he should be ready by the time of the second match. Horrible weather here in NY/NJ so that might encourage me to go :)

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,483 Posts
Good news for the Real boys....typical SLC weather !!!!! ;)

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,483 Posts
wahawah !!!!!!!!!!!! :cap:

1 - 20 of 132 Posts