·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Messina - Fiorentina

Serie A Week 13 - 28/11/04 (15.00)
Messina - Fiorentina

Stadio San Filippo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These two teams met in Serie B last season and both look in good shape to retain their top-flight status after some decent performances so far. It’s surprisingly Messina who are higher in the table but the Viola have shown clear signs of improvement since boss Emiliano Mondonico was axed and replaced by goalkeeping Coach Sergio Buso.

The Sicilian outfit come into this match after a creditable 1-1 draw at Udinese – who are the most in-form team in Serie A. That result was their third consecutive draw which isn’t bad when you consider their injury problems. Storari, Mamede, Fusco, Giampa, Conte, Sullo and Zampagna are all injury doubts, while star striker Arturo Di Napoli will be out for a month after knee surgery.

Fiorentina will be eager for the three points after failing to pick up a victory in their last three games. Despite some impressive performances, they drew against both Inter and Livorno, while losing narrowly 1-0 to Juventus in Turin.

The Tuscan outfit will be without the suspended Delli Carri but now have key striker Rigano back after injury. He came off the bench against Livorno to net his first top-flight goal thanks to a stunning diving header. He and Fabrizio Miccoli could prove the difference against Messina.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Messina (probable): Eleftheropoulos; Zoro, Aronica, Rezaei, Parisi; Ametrano, Coppola, Donati, Iliev; Amoruso, Yanagisawa

Fiorentina (probable): Lupatelli; Ujfalusi, Viali, Dainelli; Chiellini, Obodo, Maresca, Nakata, Jorgensen; Miccoli, Rigano

Ref: To follow...

channel4

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I think this will be a tough match for us. Messina have made a surprisingly good start to the season, and it's going to be very hard to take three points from our second trip to Sicily this season.
However, good news on the injury front. Storari, Mamede, Fusco, Giampa, Conte, Sullo and Zampagna are all injury doubts for Messina, whilst we can hopefully have Christian Rigano back for the first time since the opening day. This is his kind of game, I feel, and he's surely the man to play, despite Javier Portillo's first goal for the club last weekend.
It looks like we're going to go with a back 3, with Ujfalusi, Dainelli and Viali. Five across the midfield, with Rigano and Miccoli upfront; the first game of a successful partnership?
I'd like to see us go a bit tighter in midfield, with Ariatti in for Nakata.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Totally agreed Micheal. Throw Nakata out, slam Ariatti in.

Nothing wrong with a decent midfield.

·
6,645 Posts
Ariatti instead of Nakata? Not sure of that. Ariatti has been pretty crappy the latest games. Nakata is at least an offensive power.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Miccoli misses Messina...

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/nov26h.html

I think we should give Portillo another try after his goal vs Parma (by Wetto).
Does anyone know why Maggio is still rotting on the bench? Is his injury so bad?

Here are the convoked players:
Ariatti, Aquilanti, Chiellini, Dainelli, Fantini, Jorgensen, Lupatelli, Maggio, Maresca, Nakata, Obodo, Piangerelli, Portillo, Riganò, Roccati, Savini, Ujfalusi, Valdes, Viali

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Jonas said:
Ariatti instead of Nakata? Not sure of that. Ariatti has been pretty crappy the latest games. Nakata is at least an offensive power.

Too many offensive players spoil the attack. We need no more than three members of the central attacking half of the squad. We have:

Jorgensen
Miccoli
Rigano

We don't need another attacker in the middle. Our midfiled would fall apart, Ariatti is all we have, we may as well use him.

·
6,645 Posts
Since Miccoli won't play against Messina I hope to see this attack:

Nakata

Fantini - Riganò

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Apologies to Mago, I didn't see the article. Portillo is more than likely to start now given that he scored a goal la settimana scorsa

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
According to fiorentina.it we are likely to field a 3-4-2-1 lineup like this:

Lupatelli
Ujfalusi, Viali, Dainelli
Chiellini, Maresca, Obodo, Ariatti
Jorgensen, Fantini
Riganò

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Messina: Eleftheropoulos, Zoro Kpolo, Aronica, Zanchi, Rezaei, Parisi, Coppola, Donati, Iliev, Amoruso, Yanagisawa ... Subs: Sorriso, Rafael, D'Alterio, Cucciari, Bernardo, Gonias, Ametrano

Fiorentina: Lupatelli, Ujfalusi, Viali, Dainelli, Chiellini, Ariatti, Obodo, Maresca, Jorgensen, Fantini, Rigano ... Subs: Roccati, Maggio, Valdes, Savini, Piangerelli, Portillo, Nakata

Referee: Gianluca Paparesta (Bari)

Looks like a classic 4-4-2 with an attacking left (Chiellini + Jorgensen) and a defensive right wing (Ujfalusi + Ariatti). I would like to see Maggio and Valdes in the 2nd half.

·
6,645 Posts
Messina will score anytime now....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts