Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JG apparently said yesterday that they will let Paul "magic" Merson leave the Villa this summer!

Just one question:
Are you crazy John?

E

·
0 Posts
I dont know what is wrong with Merson.

Firstly he says this about 90 percent chance of staying, then that Villa need to spend.

Then i read that neither JG or Doug.E knows anything about this.....wonder if merson was drunk ...(lets not hope so)....

Could be a relapse.

But it seems like Carbone will stay (allthough i will believe it when i see it).

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Someone else must go,not Merson.

Hints:

a) he is not a player
b) he recently signed a new contract
c) his first name is John and his second starts from Gre and end in -gory

You have three guesses. :)

------------------
Any given Sunday,you either win or loose.That's FOOTBALL...

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Real subtle hints Amo! :)

As for Merse, who knows! He is an asset to Villa because he is a leader and role model to other players! They respect him because he has come back from the brink and survived!

As for Carbone, he said he will sign and that money is not a problem...like you esr, I'm cynical and will believe that when I see it!

J

·
0 Posts
Merson isn't going anywhere!! Firstly, who would have him? He is too much of a risk in the eyes of other clubs. Secondly, he will not take the risk of moving elsewhere - a change may turn his life upside down again.
As for Carbone, I think he will sign but he can't demand the wages he was asking for before because he a shown he is not consistant and therefore not worth £35k a week. People say that lots of big Italian clubs would come in for him but what has he ever done? He's only scored a few this season and is hot and cold every game. He has never made a big influence where ever he has been. I hope he signs because he is a player that can change a game - unfortunatly not on Saturday! We still need an out and out striker but I don't think we afford a good one. Your talking £15m plus for a decent one.

Up the Villa!!!!

------------------
JLloyd

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lets hope Merse stays...him and Carbone bring the best out in each other!

As for the striker...well it seems that Ellis has ambition and he definitely has the money, so you never know! :)

E

·
0 Posts
Yes Natalya, it sounds like that in the press, but with Doug you never know.

He keeps saying that he has splashed £41,2M for JG, but never mentiones the odd £30M+ we have received in sales.

But if he splashes 20M this summer, we could have a very strong squad....but cannot see those amounts payed.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, Doug is always full of good intentions when he actually doesn;t need to spend!

But a girl can dream! :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I thought that Merson was on the record as saying that he wanted to stay at Villa but Gregory had different ideas.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who actually knows what is going on...JG is always changing his mind...and Merse is very oppinionated...apparently he doesn't want to stay if Beni does....why does Villa have to make everything so complicated?

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Discovered this!

Paul Merson will hold talks with Aston Villa boss John Gregory this week to discover if he has a future at Villa Park.
Merson is disappointed at the ‘negative vibes’ that he claims he has received from Gregory after revealing his desire to sign a contract that would see him end his career in the west Midlands.

The former England midfielder has two years left on his current deal and is prepared to take a pay cut if the club double the deal that would take him up to the age of 35.

Despite enjoying some of the best form of his career, Merson fears that he will be usurped by summer signing Luc Nilis, who arrives in the summer from PSV Eindhoven. Nilis operates in a similar role to Merson, usually just behind the front two strikers.

Merson told PA Sport: "I want to carry on at top level for the next four years - but as things stand at present I don't think I will be doing it here.

"I hope I can - but I have to sit down with the boss in the next couple of days. There is something that needs to be sorted out between him and me over my future.

"We've been talking for five weeks and I want to finish my career here but the club are saying no.

"I am happy here and I am surprised at the reaction and negative feedback from the club given the way I have been playing. I have been in the most consistent form of my career.

"They know I want to stay and sign until I am 35 and I am willing to take a pay cut to do that but the signs have not been positive.

"I know Luc Nilis is coming here in the summer and I think the fact he is a similar player to me has got something to do with it - that there's no room for both of us.

"That's what I think but football is all about opinions. I'll have to see the boss but there is no row or no disagreement. It's just his opinion.

"If he thinks that Luc Nilis is going to play in my position than that's up to him. I don't argue with that but I want to get my own future sorted out.

"We will talk but then I am going away on holiday with my kids and it's in the club's hands now."

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
let him stay,he's ok

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The majority of Villa want him to stay...he;s been great this season....that;s why we voted him our man of the season! I think JG would be making a huge mistake if he sold him!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
the big question is have you read his book yet??? :)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oops my secret is out!

No, I haven't! I've A's to study for! :)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found more too!

MERSON TALKS TO CONTINUE

The future of Aston Villa's former England and Arsenal forward Paul Merson will be the big story coming out of Villa Park this week.
Merson's agent, Steve Kutner, is aiming to gain an extension to Merson's contarct which expires in the summer of 2002, and the player has punblicly stated that he would willingly take a pay cut to guarantee the security of a year's extension to his current deal.

Kutner will reopen talks with Villa boss John Gregory as soon as the manager returns from an end-of-season club break in Spain. Merson is desperate to stay at Villa Park after having settled in the area, something he never fully did when moving to Middlesbrough.

Speaking after the FA Cup final defeat to Chelsea on May 20, Merson hinted that he had played his last game for the club, but maintained that it was 'up to the manager' if his stay would be extended.

Now Kutner has explained: "Paul was only asking for another season on the end of his current deal so that he could end his career at Villa.

"If that wish was granted he will still only be 35 but he feels better than he has done at any stage of his career. He is fitter and stronger.

"It was just a move by him to show his commitment to the club - but he was surprised by the negative vibes it created."

Gregory will have to resolve the future of wantaway defender Ugo Ehiogu, who is upset that he has been ignored by England manager Kevin Keegan. Ehiogu says earlier this week that he "needs a new challenge to spark my career", but has two years left of his current contract.

Then there is Italian striker Benito Carbone, who completed a short-term deal at the end of the season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts