Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about his comeback? I don't have the opportunity to watch football in Argentinia. Can you tell me about the style of Menotti's Independiente when they play their first games?

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
He didn't take Maradona,the Best Player of all-time to the 1978 World Cup,that just proves how stupid menotti is.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
well Purger, he was wrong, but in fact was more injustice to not take JJLopez, Alonso, and the awesome Bochini, the thing is those days we were loaded as few knows, but he choose quality players Ardiles for JJLopez, and Valencia instead of the thousand 10 avaibles, this last one was blessed in talent, just that was too much shy and provinciano for us cocky portenos, he had a very hard time pure man, but man he was talented.

Years after in 81, the duo Maradona/Valencia was a joy to watch, and btw leaving Tapia, Trobbiani, and Bochini as subs by Bilardo isn t outraeugous too... and were was Ramon Diaz, Marangoni, etc...Bilardo was even worse in that aspect.
The bad stuff with Menotti is that many times, more recent ones is all about talking, and not real stuff, but I will never forget his Huracan 74, Argentina 78 (and prior 82, the tours were amazing), and that glorius Youth 79, this save his ass by miles to whatever shit he did/and will done in the future...

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
He was coach of the youth team?I thought there were always seperate coaches for each catagory?

·
18,041 Posts
He was coach of the youth team?I thought there were always seperate coaches for each catagory?
He armed the team with help of the Great Renato Cesarini, he trained them to play by memory for months, and was the promise he made to Diego..then I don-t actually recall who was in really in charge at the papers, may be someone else, but I used to have a video of training sessions of the team with him on change that was a pleasure, man that team was glorius...Ramon/Escudero/Maradona was incredible...

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
How many of the 1979 Youth Team played in the 1986 World Cup?And why wasn't Fillol the number one goalkeeper in 1986(and why wasn't he there at all)?

·
18,041 Posts
wow, you are full of questions today pal, I have a lousy memory even to recall members of 79, about Fillol, can-t recall more than probably too much Menotti player, but Fillol is one of the few that retired at an incredible high level, he even save a penalty in his last game with Velez against River, not too mention his incredible Supercopa with Racing, an amazing keeper, some were better tactically, better with the feet, but Fillol was literally Superman, gave him an impossible ball to grab, and he will, and I MEAN GRAB, not that easy punch of nowadays...

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Ok,thanks alot for aswering my questions Fangio.:)I ask a lot of questions because I love Argentinian Football.You are lucky you managed to see the Great Argentinian teams of 1978,1979,1986... and all the Great Argentinian club teams of the past 30 years live.:thmbup:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
purger, bilardo didn't take fillol because the narigon wanted to distance himself from the menotti guys. if you look at the whole squad of 86, only diego and valdano were back from the team that flopped in 82.

·
Registered
23 Posts
menotti was never an excellent coach, the team he had in 1982 should win the wc very easily but he could not, he did not take maradona & bochini to 1978 world cup, the teams he won with them in 1978 and 1979 youth wc had legends maradona ( alone won the senior wc in 86 so how cannot he won the youth wc ), & in 78senior team kempes, passarella, fillol ,ardiles,bertoni ( was very good player) all these players were with him in 82 and he could manage 2 wins 3 defeats scoring 8 goals conceding 7.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Purger said:
He didn't take Maradona,the Best Player of all-time to the 1978 World Cup,that just proves how stupid menotti is.
He won the world cup 1978, therefore he was right :thmbup:

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Rimmer said:
He won the world cup 1978, therefore he was right :thmbup:
Only a complete idiot wouldn't have won it with the Great team Argentina had and with the World Cup being held in Argentina.

·
18,041 Posts
...history shows that at least he call the majority of the best, while others....errrr anyway I'm not super menotti fan, but he gave some of the most enjoyable teams ever, in the meantime he is no short of bullshit declarations, no one btw...

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Purger said:
Only a complete idiot wouldn't have won it with the Great team Argentina had and with the World Cup being held in Argentina.
Menotti had used 3 years building the team for the 1978 WC, why should he change the team to make space for a 17-year boy :lazy: :lazy:

·
18,041 Posts
by the way, I confuse Cesarini, with Duchini, sorry for that, anyway one day I will search for DVDs of the besta ttack Argentina ever had since the 50's: teh 79 Youth team: Ramon Diaz (former 10 in River youngsters, transfrom in an awesome striker by Menotti to make him place), Escudero, perhaps the more down to earth and one of the best wings ever in Argentina, a monster!!! Dieguito and CAlderon, a really skill player too, their elaborate moves, ultra fast pace, and killer counters were/are/will be a lesson of totall and beautifull football...years after even with Maradona saying he had no problems in forming the attack for 86 with Ramon, Bilardo never wanted to get them together again for their personall issues, Ramon in 86 or 90 qith Valdano and Cammigia could make Argentina way better, just another Redondo, Sivori, Di Stefano, bad NT history with him...

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Rimmer said:
Menotti had used 3 years building the team for the 1978 WC, why should he change the team to make space for a 17-year boy :lazy: :lazy:
1)Maradona made his debut for Argentina a year before the World Cup against Hungary and played games until the World Cup,so he was a part of the build-up for the World Cup.
2)He should have been taken to the World Cup as back-up in case Kempes or somebody else got injured and to gain the experience of playing at the World Cup.
3)He played greatly for Argentinos Juniors.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Purger said:
1)Maradona made his debut for Argentina a year before the World Cup against Hungary and played games until the World Cup,so he was a part of the build-up for the World Cup.
2)He should have been taken to the World Cup as back-up in case Kempes or somebody else got injured and to gain the experience of playing at the World Cup.
3)He played greatly for Argentinos Juniors.
Well Matie we all knew that Menotti played Diego in the national-team before the world cup, but that doesn't mean the he ought to have been a part of the 1978-WC-team.

The 1978-team didn't enter the world cup to gain experience, the mission was to win the world cup.

Menotti had a lot of offensive players, of cause none of them were as skilled as Diego, but as I see it then it would have been a very huge pressure to put on the 17-year old kid if Diego would have taken part in the 1978-WC.

Actually I don't think that Menotti's dilema was to bring Diego as as back-up player or not, I think his dilema was to choose between the using the team he had build up doing 3 years, or to throw it all away built the team around the young Diego.

Looking how Diego got himself in trouble later, then I'm pretty sure Menotti made the right choise to leave him out in 1978 :thmbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts