Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
©
Joined
·
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that probably nobody will post in this thread but just to say that the Melbourne Tigers won the championship in Australia. I am pumped!!!:D

Swept the Sydney Kings 3-0 who have won the last three championships.

Tigers were led by one time NBA player Chris Anstey and 41 (!!!) year old point guard Darryl McDonald.

This is the only club in Australia where you can play basketball from 7 years old and make it all the way into the top league in the country. Truly a great club.

Anyway, continue to enjoy your xtratime experience.:D
 

·
Thought Criminal
Joined
·
14,005 Posts
Ill post buddy!!

Yes we won and its the best!

I havent been to a game for ages but i remember going when, remember Dave Simmonds and Dave Colbert were playing and the glasshouse was still in use? Well im a fan from way back. Even went to the Tigers basketball camps, were i was coached by Andrew Gaze, Copeland and more.

But really great for Victorian basketball. With the new South Dragons i see the NBL going back to its heydays
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Cevapcici kid said:
Ill post buddy!!

Yes we won and its the best!

I havent been to a game for ages but i remember going when, remember Dave Simmonds and Dave Colbert were playing and the glasshouse was still in use? Well im a fan from way back. Even went to the Tigers basketball camps, were i was coached by Andrew Gaze, Copeland and more.

But really great for Victorian basketball. With the new South Dragons i see the NBL going back to its heydays
:yuck:

Nah, congats to the Tigs! I was a little like you cevap, followed the Kings religiously back in the late 80's/early 90's - even had season tickets to the Kingdome for a couple of years! Remember the dtrain Dwayne McClain???

I don't follow it as much now like alot of sports fans in Oz, but still keep my eye on the results and attend the odd match.

Melbourne were just too big for the smaller Kings, and deserved the 3-0 white wash.
 

·
Thought Criminal
Joined
·
14,005 Posts
InterOz said:
:yuck:

Nah, congats to the Tigs! I was a little like you cevap, followed the Kings religiously back in the late 80's/early 90's - even had season tickets to the Kingdome for a couple of years! Remember the dtrain Dwayne McClain???

I don't follow it as much now like alot of sports fans in Oz, but still keep my eye on the results and attend the odd match.

Melbourne were just too big for the smaller Kings, and deserved the 3-0 white wash.
Yes Dwayne Mclain was one of my favourite players.

Ok im gonna bring up some old names....

Leroy Loggins
Bruce Bolden
Ray Bonner(plays aba for a country team)
Dean Utoff
Cecil Exum
Andre La Fler
Bobby Locke

Remember the Geelong Supercats!

thats old school...

Also another thing, Shane Heal is going to be playing for the South Dragons, also Drmic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
The Hammer and Frank Drmic? Wow, I thought Shane Heal was a part owner of the Kings? Where is Drmic playing these days?

How do you think the new team will be supported? Must of been a bit funny for Melbournites to go from four teams (South Melbourne ???, East Melbourne Spectres, North Melbourne Giants, MelbourneTigers) to one team over so many years, and now another team added.

Add to the mix SE Melbourne Magic (merger of East and South Melbourne) and Victoria Titans, and Melbourne have had seven different teams in the NBL over 15 years :eekani: Must be crazy as a supporter.
 

·
Thought Criminal
Joined
·
14,005 Posts
Yeah it was a bit crazy, but i was always a Tigers man so it didnt really bother me.

Dont know where Drmic is playing. Probably some aba side.

Friends of mine while i was younger used to get box seats to the magic games as the dad worked for Peters ice cream. Remember that mascot they had? That looney guy who ran around? I went a few times, it was awesome, sitting right on the sideline. Food, drinks...those were the days of the NBL. I see it coming back though. It was that popular they used to sell out the Rod laver arena! Especially the derby Tigers-Magic games.

I dont know how well the Dragons will be supported. They arent doing enough PR IMO. But with the championship back where it belongs, you never know, we could have another basketball boom!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,555 Posts
Wouldn't it probably be not the best time to have been doing PR, with the finals going on and what not, I suppose now that the Tigers have won the title they can start stepping up a gear. Apparently they are looking at 5000 crowds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Cevapcici kid said:
I see it coming back though. It was that popular they used to sell out the Rod laver arena! Especially the derby Tigers-Magic games.
I used to think that it was going to come back, but I don't anymore. The big city teams have all downsized into smaller arenas, and even Adelaide are having financial difficulties. I remember the days when the Kings would sell out most games, and the Bullets played out at Boondall in front of 10,000 almost every game!

The Kings moved to the 20,000 seat Superdome, crowds rose for a mere one year but quickly dropped. They put this down to the move out west to Homebush, so came back to the Entertainment Centre in the city. Since their move some four years ago back to the city, crowds have dropped each year. They averaged something like 4k per game.

I reckon they also stuffed up bringing the Razorbacks into the NBL. I am a big advocate of the one team one city approach like the A-League. I hope they never bring another A-League team from Sydney into comp.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top