Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Erik really deserves a pat on the back - unlike those whinging [email protected] who talk abt moving once they are not in the team.

Liverpool striker Erik Meijer has turned down a move to Vitesse Arnhem in favour of winning a place in the first team at Anfield. Meijer was targeted by the Dutch side as a replacement for Pierre van Hooijdonk and it has been suggested that Liverpool were willing to accept £1m for the forward. But he says he is not the kind of person to give up after a year.

"I saw the Vitesse coach while I was in Holland and he told me I was his number one target because Pierre Van Hooijdonk has just left the club," Meijer said in the Liverpool Echo. "But I told him I was not planning on leaving Liverpool. I am committed to the club for three years.

"Last season I was involved in about 20 games, but towards the end it was not so good. There were times I wasn't involved in the team or even selected in the 16-man squad, which I was disappointed about. But I'm not the kind of person to quit after just one year. That's not how I approach football."

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mind actually, no harm done coz Meijer's wages are much lesser than what Bjornebye was earning.

I just can't stand those players (reported by the press, like Camara, for example - I dunno is it for real but he did say he wants to play for Celtic, that's a fact) who demands a move just because he's not in the first team. I mean, nowadays, who can be guaranteed a place? Where is the fighting spirit that says "hey I'm gonna fight for my place"? How can GH trust such a player who gives up in adversity and not go through it like a man?

If they are really so unhappy, by all means, go.

As for Meijer, I'm happy not bcoz he stays, I'm happy bcoz he is a man with character. This is what it takes to play for Liverpool, even though he's really crap - dun forget cripples like David Speedie used to play for us and he was crap, yet he scored some goals (on his debut, 1991).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts