Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still don't understand what's the deal with Megamadov. Raanan, anyone, do you know?

He's the best central defender in Israel (also has been one of the best for 10 years).

He's an Israeli citizen already.

He's also one of the best central defenders in Europe IMO.

Now, is it the youth team problem ? The rule is that it doesn't block an entry into the senior team... so what's the deal ??? :nono:

Imagine Ben Haim and Megamadov in central defense... it's almost world class :thmbup:

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
From what I understand he's in the same situation as Daniel De Ridder. Both of them have been capped by another nation's youth side, and still can't play for another country. I said 'still' because from my understanding there will be a FIFA meeting where they are very likely to change the rules a bit and allow people in Megamadov's situation to play for another country. Hopefully this happens really fast, because I would love it if we could use both of them in our qualifiers, although DDR is still uncertain if that's what he wants. But having him and Benayoun in the same midfield sounds too good to be true. :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Raanan said:
From what I understand he's in the same situation as Daniel De Ridder. Both of them have been capped by another nation's youth side, and still can't play for another country.
Kaba diawara played for the french youth team and now plays for guinea.
And there are many players who are in the same situation.

this law has been voted a year ago.

they both should be eligible to play for the israeli national team.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Sarah221 said:
is Megmadov jewish?
No. He is originally from Azerbaijan. In fact this is how he got into Maccabi Petah Tikva: The Luzon brothers were impressed with his performance against Israel in a friendly and a few weeks later he was signed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
so he is muslim? i assume he became a citizen because he's been in israel for many years right?

well, i hope he can play...israel needs all the great players it can get for the next games.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Sarah221 said:
so he is muslim? i assume he became a citizen because he's been in israel for many years right?

well, i hope he can play...israel needs all the great players it can get for the next games.
I am not sure what he is actually. It's possible he acts like a 'real' jewish even if he isn't one. He is very much liked by Grant and will definitely help us a lot, if only...

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Sarah221 said:

He is an Orthadox Russian...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts