Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Arsenal F.C.​

One of the most successful clubs in English football, it has won 13 First Division and Premier League titles and 10 FA Cups. Arsenal holds the record for the longest uninterrupted period in the English top flight and would be placed first in an aggregated league of the entire 20th century. It is the second side to complete an English top flight season unbeaten (in the 2003–04 season), and the only one to do so across 38 matches.

Arsenal was founded in 1886 in Woolwich and in 1893 became the first club from the south of England to join the Football League. In 1913, it moved north across the city to Arsenal Stadium in Highbury. In the 1930s the club won five League Championship titles and two FA Cups. After a lean period in the post-war years it won the League and FA Cup Double, in the 1970–71 season, and in the 1990s and first decade of the 21st century won two more Doubles and reached the 2006 UEFA Champions League Final. Arsenal has a long-standing rivalry with North London neighbours Tottenham Hotspur, with whom it contests the North London derby. Arsenal is the fourth most valuable association football club in the world as of 2013, valued at over $1.3 billion.

-wikipedia

Squad:

·
10'un Adi Lefter
8,620 Posts
Who will be missing?

Szczesny
Sagna - Mertesacker - Vermaelen - Monreal
Wilshere - Arteta
Walcott - Cazorla - Podolski
Giroud

Fancy we could make a meal of their defense.

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
Their midfield is going to bend us over and rape us. Especially is that waste of space Selcuk is playing

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt Selcuk will play. Topal, Emre, and Meireles are going to have to be more aggressive defensively than normal and absorb some of the advancing plays spearheaded by Cazorla and Wilshire/Ramsey. Arteta anchors the play deep in their own half so its not totally worth piressing him.

If I were Wenger i'd play Theo on the wing rather than up top with Sonogo/Giroud and expose Kadlec for all he's got. Kadlec looks a bit flaky and slow - whereas Bruno will just smash into him like a wall.

Sonogo hasn't had the best of starts either so I wouldn't put particular emphasis on making him a strong target to mark.

If there is a time to play Arsenal, it's now, because they aren't completely coherent as a team yet.

If Sow and Emenike are on their game, along with Kuyts relentless hustle, we might have a chance up there. Wouldn't hurt to give Alper the start at home since Arsenal will probably be more conservative in Istanbul - we could use his creativity.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Is GG going to be fit? If Arsenal don't made additions to that toothless attacking core, they might have problems. Also the AFC side I watched at the weekend could leak goals against a zenci front 3. And you guys really have an amazing squad depth.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The word is that Gokhan will be ready to play in the Konyaspor game next week. I guess we'll know then if he's ready to play 90 minutes in his usual form.

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
Hope they don't destroy us. I know too many Arsenal fans over here, won't make it to the end of the week...

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Huge.

The fact that Arsenal only have 11 fit players at the moment will give us any advantage at this point, albeit a slight one.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I might try and get tickets for the game in London...if the 1st match score sets up a nice return leg. Funnily enough, the first game I saw at the Emirates was Arsenal vs Fenerbahce in 2008, a 0-0 borefest after the destruction in SSS.

·
Registered
30,022 Posts
Looking a bit worrying on this end at the minute. Won't be surprised if we leave with our tails between our legs from the SSS.

Even if we bought players in now, it's too late to register them for this phase of the CL qualification. Senile French twat.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fenerbahce has to win in Istanbul if they are to have a chance at Emirates... If they tie in Istanbul its over.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts