Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda surprised this hadn't been discussed already. From Sky

River Plate trio Lucho Gonzalez, Maxi Lopez and Javier Mascherano have been signed by the same company who own Carlos Tevez and Vagner Love and their futures will be decided in the next few weeks.

Media Sports Investments are investing heavily, mainly in South America, in players and skysports.com understand they now have approaching 30 players on their books.

Their first major deal was struck late last year when they bought Tevez from Boca Juniors and sent him to Corinthians - who they also have a major investment with.

Love has since agreed a deal with MSI and he is also heading for Corinthians, despite interest from Chelsea and Valencia.

The London-based group have now concluded a deal for the Argentine trio and are negotiating on their next moves.

Both Lucho and Lopez could very well be heading for Portugal with Porto and Benfica very keen.

Mascherano (pictured) - arguably the most wanted player in the world at the moment - had looked set for Spain with Real Madrid leading the chase.

However, news of MSI's intervention means they will now decide where the player goes and not River which has now seen Chelsea emerge as possible contenders for his signature.

The backers behind MSI remain a mystery, although leading agent Pini Zahavi and Chelsea's owner Roman Abramovich are said to be involved in some aspect - with Kia Joorabchian the current figurehead.

It is Zahavi's and Abramovich's rumoured link with MSI which is reportedly playing a part in getting Mascherano to Stamford Bridge, rather than El Santiago Bernabeu.

Joorabchian has denied Abramovich is involved in the company, although he does admit he is a friend.

However, an agent who represents CSKA Moscow, insists the Russian is a part of MSI.

"What we know in Portugal is that Roman Abramovich is one of the administrators of the MSI," claimed Rui Goncalves - who had hoped to convince Love to stay in Russia, but seemingly without much success.

"The president of CSKA wanted me to inform Vagner that his career would be best served in Russia," Goncalves added to Lancenet.

"He thinks it would be harmful to him and not at all beneficial."

Love walked out on CSKA Moscow last week and has now signed with MSI - who will compensate the Russian giants before a transfer to Corinthians is completed.

Once the Love deal is complete, MSI will then decide where the futures of Lucho, Lopez and Mascherano lie.

Reports in Brazil suggest one or even all three could yet end up at Corinthians along with Tevez and Love - although the trio are more likely to head for Europe, where their values - and thus MSI's profit margins - will increase.
I'm really undecided what to make of MSI at this point in time. It's a new situation for sure where a company buys smaller nation players and parks them where they think they can maximise profit before selling them onto the big European leagues.

I also don't know what to make of Abramovich involvement. It does sound like he'll at least have first refusal on players and that as such we'll probably see at least Mashcareno and Tevez at Chelsea within a couple of seasons (maybe Maschareno as early as the summer as he's a natural Makelele replacement) with maybe Love, Lopez and Lucho going if they get good enough (Lopez is at Benfica for at least 3 years I think though. Apparently MSI got a half share of the really promising Manuel Fernandes as part of the deal with Benfica).

I know Corinthians also picked up Carlos Alberto from Porto recently but I don't know if he's MSI owned or if Corinthians actually own him.

Either way it seems that with Robinho and Luxemburgo on their way to Real and all these players being parked at Corinthians that Santos are screwed.

I also have a feeling that the bunch of talented young players currently parked in the Russian league (Cavenaghi for example) will turn out to be part of this and that there's more to this Jiri Jarosik transfer to Chelsea that meets the eye.

So yeah, thoughts. It seems pretty unethical to me. Maybe if Roman admitted he owned the players and just loaned them out it'd be different.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
*sigh*

This'll ruin football. Simply ruin it all together. Nobody - especially the clubs in England - will have a remote hope of competing with Chelsea if they're buying all the talent and parking them in remote locations and waiting until they're good enough to move to Chelsea.

Pity UEFA can't (or won't) do anything about it :rollani:

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno that they could if it's classed as free trade. It could be argued that it's just agents on an elaborate scale anyway.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This won't work out in the long run anyway.
Mascherano and co will leave England asap in case they move there like Veron and Crespo did before. And parking in Russia won't work with Brazilians anyway. Vagner Love already wants to leave the league because of the cold winter.
South Americans are for Southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, Italy) and nowhere else, imo.
Look at Edu, it's not like he can make more money in Spain than in PL, he just wants to go there because of lifestyle factors.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Bayman said:
Look at Edu, it's not like he can make more money in Spain than in PL, he just wants to go there because of lifestyle factors.
No it isn't, it's because we won't give him 60k a week, the greedy sod.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't really see why Maschareno should fail here. South American DM's usually seem to do alright.

If the Brazilians aren't settling in Russia they might use their relationship with PSV Eindhoven and Benfica more, there are ways and means out of it.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Bayman said:
South Americans are for Southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, Italy) and nowhere else, imo.
Germany is in Southern Europe? :D

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Interista said:
Name 10 South American's who have succeeded in the EPL?
very few since even fewer ever go there. And among the few even fewer are any good spain/italy tends to pay more.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Liternit said:
Germany is in Southern Europe? :D
Germany is a 50/50 country.
Bayer leverkusen is a good club to let them settle in, but many SA's (Luizao, Junior Baiano [read is comments about Bremen after he left],...) find it hard.
D'alessandro had his family moved to Germany to settle in and made it clear more than once to prefer playing in Spain (when there were Depor rumours).

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Interista said:
Not just pay though, it is also the climate and lifestyle.
Money is #1, if they get 30% more to play in Russia they will do it so. Of course if the difference is marginal they will choose a more latin country.

Bayman said:
Germany is a 50/50 country.
Bayer leverkusen is a good club to let them settle in, but many SA's (Luizao, Junior Baiano [read is comments about Bremen after he left],...) find it hard.
D'alessandro had his family moved to Germany to settle in and made it clear more than once to prefer playing in Spain (when there were Depor rumours).
I´m not saying they don´t find it hard, but with better structure than Russia its possible to settle. There are very good examples of it, also Holland is very different from SA/Italy/Spain yet brasilians tend to do very well in that league mostly because the style of football.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
oh and about the article, don´t try to make any sense out of MSI they could as well leave Mascherano for Corinthians. I think the profit is making the money legit somehow.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interista said:
Name 10 South American's who have succeeded in the EPL?
Juninho, Edu, Heinze, Solano, Angel, Gilberto, Asprillia, Thome, Silvinho, De La Cruz.

All those players have done pretty well here. Of course as Liternit said not many get picked up, a lot of the time because it's hard for smaller teams to buy them due to work permit restrictions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts