Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, there was this guy who sent in a letter to a football talk show and ask something like this:

"Due to the consistency of players that Arsenal used this season, only 15 (:eek::eekani:) Arsenal players will receive the Premiership medals this season because of the criteria that you have to play at least 10 games to get one. Players like Keown, Clichy and Kanu won't get one. Should they be given the medal???"

What do you think guys??? For me, I think it is a good idea that they set a limit for the number of games you have to play to get a medal but IMO, 10 games is too high. 7 is sufficient IMO.

And I must credit Arsenal and Wenger that they only have 15 players who played more than 10 games this season. IMO, Arsenal's biggest weapon is their continuity & consistency, not Henry nor Pires.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
yes 7 should be right, it becomes a joke at the end of the season when it's 10, for instance Wenger putting on Taylor for the last five minutes against Everton.

if we win the Title this weekend, expect Keown to come on for the last five minutes and then play in all the remaining four games so he can get his medal. ;)

it is great we've only used 15 players over 10 times, but we have had a great season injury wise, Kolo,Sol and Henry have all stayed injury free the entire season, Paddy was out for three months but we have good cover in midfield, if Sol or Kolo was out then Cygan would have had to play for a long time,and we all know how important Henry is.

i still think we'd have coped,but the EPL title would have been a lot closer, and we probably wouldn't still be unbeaten.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
yes that is a little to much, 1/3 of the season really that is saying.

wow only 15 players, we really didnt use the full potential of our squad.

if we win the season early, maybe wenger will let his internationals off early for the eruo 2004?

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Gael Clichy has made 11 PL apperances so he will get a medal.

Kanu has made 9 apperances and my guess is by seasons end AW will give him a run in the squad before the seasons through.

Martin Keown has made only a meger 6 apperances so unless Arsenal win the league Sunday MK may miss out on a medal.

D

·
0 Posts
5 games for an outfield player, and IMO keepers should get them regardless of number of games played. 10 games is unfair

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
The ten game threshold is fine. A lower threshold would just encourage managers (read "Wenger") to field reserves after securing the title, in a pathetic attempt to appease them.

However, the Premier League should judge on whether those that play between five and nine games on a case-by-case basis. For example, in 1997/8, Alex Manninger received a medal despite playing only seven league games (because his six clean sheets contributed greatly to our championship success). However, Matthew Upson, who played five games, did not (and should not have, because he did absolutely nothing).

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Personally, I think Keown deserves his final championship medal since he is going to retire this season. His loyalty and contribution to Arsenal has been huge and he is 110% a 'Gunners'.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
Personally, I think Keown deserves his final championship medal since he is going to retire this season. His loyalty and contribution to Arsenal has been huge and he is 110% a 'Gunners'.
maybe he will then

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Originally quoted from David Pleat
"There were only three teams last August who were going to win the championship. I actually think I knew the order in which they would finish. Maybe a lot of people did.

"Arsenal possibly won the title about five weeks ago. They have won it at every ground they have played. Nobody has worked out how to beat them yet.

I love this quote very much... :) :proud: :star:

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
After yesterdays sub Reyes has now made nine apperances and barring some unforseen circumstances Jose will also get a medal.

·
63,337 Posts
so Keown needs to play in every game now,is that right ? so he should get 4 sub appearances, even if we have to play him at Left wing for 2 minutes in each.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Are English champions not allowed to make a limited number of extra medals to hand out to players? In the papers up here, they've been talking about which fringe Celtic players will get a medal. They are allowed to make something like 6 extra official medals, plus I'm sure it would be possible to make a club specific medal for the players who don't qualify for the official medal.

·
63,337 Posts
no, we can't do that, we can appeal for special circumstances but we can't just ask for a few extra medals, Stuart Talor had to come on against Everton for two minutes in 2002 in the last match of the season, otherwise he wouldn't have got one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts