Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now Brian becomes Fulhams star on debute, by clinching a late winner. Brian beating fellow American International KC Keller to give Fulham the 2-1 win.

McBride earns his spurs for Fulham

New signing Brian McBride came off the bench to inspire Fulham to a 2-1 win over Tottenham on his debut.
It was a tale of two penalties in the first half at Loftus Road as Robbie Keane fired Spurs ahead after 17 minutes and Steed Malbranque equalised in injury time.

Republic of Ireland livewire Keane tucked home his ninth league goal of the season after he tried to chip the ball over Fulham's new signing Ian Pearce and the former West Ham defender blocked it with his hand.

Malbranque rifled home the equaliser after Michael Brown brought Luis Boa Morte's surging run to an end by tripping him right on the line of the penalty area.

Fulham manager Chris Coleman introduced new striker McBride after 58 minutes in place of Barry Hayles and he went close after 65 minutes as he raced towards goal wide on the right. He tried to lob Kasey Keller but his fellow American made an important block.

Fulham were celebrating a minute later - and it was USA international McBride, brought in to replace Manchester United new-boy Louis Saha, who got the final touch as the home side took the lead.

A Sean Davis corner on the left was headed down at the far post by Pearce. Keller did well to stop it, but McBride pounced on the line to bundle the ball home what proved to be the winner as Spurs crashed to their first defeat of 2004.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Yes he had the winner in the game i watched. He should stay their and just say im done with the MLS

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is staying there as they purchased him from the MLS, But why should he forget about the MLS

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
As i see it the MLS is like the Mexican League part 2 and its horible slow moveing a boring

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to dissagree. The MLS is what you make of it. I had a hard time dealing with the MLS after watching the EPL. My biggest problem when watching it was camparing it to The EPL. Untill I relised that its not the EPL and take what I could that was good about the game, and each year appreciate the fact that the quality is getting better, could I manage to enjoy an MLS game. I am a season ticket holder of the Metros and I can tell you that it is the best value for your money of any sporting event in the US. The MLS does more for the young fan than any other sport or any other football league in the world. Where else can you have your team come out onto the pitch before the game and High five the players as they step out onto the field. No Where. All for a measely $16.
Without the MLS the US natl team is going no where. This league allows our youngsters to develope, The players such as Gaven, West ,Wolf. Howard , Magee all refine there kraft to make it to Europe. Before the MLS you could count the players playing in Europe, today that number has trebled. We can all point a finger and say whats wrong with the MLS but its time for American and people from Europe living here in the US to take the blinders off and accept that this is the best we have, and the only way to see it get better is to support it in its infancy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
the MLS is not a great game but it is developing and it has made much progress from what it used to be there are alot of great players that could play overseas that play in the MLS but if they just forget about the MLS and go play in Europe the league will never develope into its full potential and no body should forget about home i think that the soccer players of the United States should stay in the MLS and develope the leauge until it is great soccer

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very Old Blaquest :D

Good Point Mufyn, But maybe not great soccer, more to the point of better fan support. Great football will take a bit more time. The only thing that will make the MLS great football, wont happen till the youth level stops losing the intrest of players at the high School level. We lose Good players to other American sports in high school but as the MLS becomes more secure then more players will stay with Football as a chance at a future in the sport.

Now for players like Mcbride, Mathis and Pope, I think that they have put there time in the MLS and getting on in age. For them I dont mind them going to Europe. I think they should get a taste of what its like to play in front of rabid fans that Live and die for thier team.

Player such as Beasley, Donovan, and even Howard should stay here they have many years in front of them before they go to Europe.

·
Registered
447 Posts
good point

the MLS's slogan is something like "A new soccer nation"

i think we are developing but we are still not a soccer nation baseball, football, and basketball are still fan favorites in the USA but soccer is clawing its way up there it is becoming very popular in the youth. it is probably the fastest growing sport in America. In my town i kno that more kids go out for the soccer team than any other sport and our soccer team is the best team that our school has i think within 10 years the youth of the USA will produce a high quality league within the MLS and a top 10 contending team in the world led by players now and young new talents.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Yeh it most def is getting better.. In about a year or two i think it will be good. I mean i watch it alot but i donno its just that when you watch MLS then Watch EPL everything seems to be in slow motion. But it is getting better more talent is staying and comeing to the MLS and dosent Becks Want to play in the states?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Watching the game on Telly is great but there is nothing like watching a match live. You have to get out to the Meadowlands and watch a Metros game Live Blaquest.

Now on to Mcbride. He played the Full 90 minuets today in the FA cup against WestHam and was inefective. Not that it was his fault as fulham couldnt get him the ball. The match went to a draw and the replay is in a week from Tuesday.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Paulmay? Did you see your favorite ex-Metrostars ;) player Mathis goal against Leverkusan today. He ran 50 yards , beat 2 defenders and hit a low shot:eek: He looks faster and his big gut is getting trimmer:D 2 goals in 3 games:eek:

2 ACLs , weight problems, pretty lazy, a maverick , a smoker and a binge drinker .

The one and only him Mathis . It cant be him:tongue: ;)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry Jonny I didnt see it but heard about it in the Byern Match, I was going to report it in the Mathis thread but you beat me to it here. But you left out the part that this was in the first 15 minuets of the match and after his run they had to take him off and place him in an oxygen tent for an hour.:D Hey I hope he does well, even for an over rated egocentric.:tongue:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are probably right mufyn he needs a little more time but if they cant get him the ball then he isnt going to be able to do much.:(

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
PAULMAY said:
Sorry Jonny I didnt see it but heard about it in the Byern Match, I was going to report it in the Mathis thread but you beat me to it here. But you left out the part that this was in the first 15 minuets of the match and after his run they had to take him off and place him in an oxygen tent for an hour.:D Hey I hope he does well, even for an over rated egocentric.:tongue:

Nevermind

the link does not work:stress:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If its to a news paper article they never do as the page allways changes, maybe you can copy it and post it here.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
On Mcbride in that game i saw it on tv.. he looked really unconfortable and really didnt get many touches. It was weird he wasnt looking like he new what he was doing out thier Lol i guess its one bad game

On the mathis goal that was a beatuy i saw it in highlights

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jonny Thanks for the Link on the Mathis Goal What the hell was that defender trying to do though Heading the ball back to no one.;) I think Mathis had to take a drug test after that one. He has never moved that fast in six years. :D

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
PAULMAY said:
Jonny Thanks for the Link on the Mathis Goal What the hell was that defender trying to do though Heading the ball back to no one.;) I think Mathis had to take a drug test after that one. He has never moved that fast in six years. :D
this makes me laugh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts