Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some possible benefits from Italy's draw.

1. Better odds that we will play USA instead of Portugal or S. Korea.
Assumes either
USA beats Poland - Portugal draws S. Korea
USA draws Poland and Portugal beats S. Korea

I would rather face the USA than Portugal (more dangerous) and S. Korea (huge home crowd advantage).

2. Our subs performed better than our starters so maybe Trap will shake things up. If the starters had performed better DP, Montella and Coco would be rooted to the bench while DiLivio and Gatusso would rack up the minutes.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
It's the kind of thinking that gets you in trouble, the assumption that this or the other team are easy to beat...

Italy's proven they can lose, with help from the refs, to any s hite team... they lost to Croatia for God's sake

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
yeah, funny that. Still, that's 2/2 in qualifying for little Croatia and we have a shiny bronze medal to show for it. Not bad for a country independent for 10 years only.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I think our group was more difficult than people thought. Both Croatia and Mexico gave us real problems.

I think we have a lot of potential to improve though.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
It wasn't meant as a slight. Croatia was great four years ago. The reality is that this WC they have a mediocre team, one that a powerhouse like Italy has no business losing to...but they do, hence I wouldn't underestimate any team, especially one that managed to beat Portugal convincingly

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I think we will have the edge in the mental strength in the upcoming matches vs other favourites. Italy have been through hell reaching this far and now will be prepared for anything.

The other favs like Brazil have barely been tested, so might not be mentally tough as Italy now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts