Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milan will the use the summer to find an alternative for Andrea Pirlo. "Everyone has a replacement here except Pirlo," said chief Adriano Galliani. "We are looking around but haven't found anyone yet".

The above is a quote from the latest Calcio Italia magazine. I do believe a certain someone has said this very thing more than once in hte last month. So, tell me, who is more in tune with Milan? Uncle Fester or the mofo who said the same sh*t before he did?!!!

We all know the answer to that. Me!! :stuckup:

This actually poses an interesting question; Who would you get to back up Pirlo? Who really plays the deep lying playmaker like he does?

From a history standpoint, Gerson from the 1970 Brazil squad played what often was a deep lying playmaker spot with his long passes (ala Pirlo) and so on.

As of now, an in form Seba Veron is a fair choice, although not as deep. To be honest, I can think of a lot of central mids who run the midfield, but nobody who sits as far back as Pirlo and covers so much of hte field. Because of him, our attack really starts in front of the defense. Most teams wait another 10-20 yards to get things going.

Pirlo does what a really gifted defensive mid does (remember REdondo prior to injuries) but he does it with more flair, creativity and control. He really is one of a kind.

Ideas to a backup? Maybe Galliani is reading. ;) :D

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
just buy a No.10 and convert him, like you did with Pirlo. :shades:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose a number can "do hte job" but I am talking about an actual alternative for Pirlo. IF you just want somebody to fill hte position, then Putting Rui Costa a few yards further back from his old spot with the portuguese selecao will do the trick. I like dhorasso, but not sure he is a Pirlo.

It's funny, but the names I think of in this position ( a deep central defender with creative gifts) are all old timers and brazilian. Didi also played a more central role, although maybe not so deep and Falcao was rather the same spot too, from what I recall.

I have been watching some tapes of Didi in the 58 and 62 World Cups and he really played midfield from far behind the center line and lobbed the long passes on target like Pirlo does. I'm not saying Pirlo is in Didi's category, but some parallels exist.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jern Lizardhous said:
just buy a No.10 and convert him, like you did with Pirlo. :shades:

If it was that easy, everybody would have a Pirlo. Most tens don't cover as much ground or play defense as Pirlo has learned. And not every 10 can play the long balls like Pirlo can as they are much farther forward and don't need them.

Really. Name a few 10s that would be able to drop back and play the spot.

·
63,337 Posts
Glen Hoddle did the same job as well in his later years when he was playing for Chelsea.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. I don't know anything about Hoddle with Chelsea, but good one. I think the postion of playmaker in front of the defense was a lot more prevelant in hte past. Now, that spot in held by midfield destroyers and the creativity and attack doesn't happen until the ball is much father upfield.

Albertini used to play a similar postion, although without the ball skills and flair. And that is my point, I suppose; you can find mids that deep that can create and make key passes, but you don't find many that can do what Pirlo can (dribble, pass, shoot, create) and also make a tackle.

·
63,337 Posts
you won't get someone as good as Pirlo because if he was he wouldn't be happy being an understudy.

just get a young 10 and train him up, i saw Pirlo play for Italy u-21s about 5 years ago and i never dreamed he would one day play in that position, so just do the same thing.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Paulo Sousa was very similar to Pirlo in his day, not so much in flair but the way he dictated the pace of the game and his long passes.... but as for anyone currently there is no one. There are very few ball players (not destroyers or athletes) that play infront of the back 4 these days..

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Santos6 said:
Paulo Sousa was very similar to Pirlo in his day, not so much in flair but the way he dictated the pace of the game and his long passes.... but as for anyone currently there is no one. There are very few ball players (not destroyers or athletes) that play infront of the back 4 these days..

Good post. I guess Guardiola was similar. You are right in that very few ballplayers play in front of the defense anymore. Sad, because a skilled player in that position can do so much for the team. Provided they aren't paralyzed by conservatism, of course.

Jern, good point as well, but also perhaps goes to suport my point that Pirlo is irreplacable. You really own't find another player willing to drop back and play defense like he has. Inter used Recoba once or twice in hte spot, but....

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Mascherano is an imperfect substitute :)

He's very very good, very very smart and I dare say is too good for what we want. He's not Redondo but he brings a different interpretation of the Argentine #5 position.

There's always Deco I suppose... :D

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Pizzarro maybe

·
Registered
709 Posts
Dae said:
Good post. I guess Guardiola was similar. You are right in that very few ballplayers play in front of the defense anymore. Sad, because a skilled player in that position can do so much for the team. Provided they aren't paralyzed by conservatism, of course.

Jern, good point as well, but also perhaps goes to suport my point that Pirlo is irreplacable. You really own't find another player willing to drop back and play defense like he has. Inter used Recoba once or twice in hte spot, but....
A skilled player in any position can do so much for a team. Even in sweeper/ stopper postition!
Guardiola was a great player, but the best ever was Redondo..... Who is this Mascherano guy? Forgive me for my ignorance :)

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
Xavi

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Shev said:
Why don't we just play Dae there?

;)

Funny enough, but I like playing that position. Maybe I should give Baldy a call......:D

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Santos6 said:
A skilled player in any position can do so much for a team. Even in sweeper/ stopper postition!
Guardiola was a great player, but the best ever was Redondo..... Who is this Mascherano guy? Forgive me for my ignorance :)

Mascherano is an argentine midfielder with River Plate who is wanted by Most every big club. He plays the holding midfield spot and does similar things to Redondo, Pirlo and so on. Not sure if he has been signed by a big club yet.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Dae said:
Mascherano is an argentine midfielder with River Plate who is wanted by Most every big club. He plays the holding midfield spot and does similar things to Redondo, Pirlo and so on. Not sure if he has been signed by a big club yet.
Thanks for the info.... and I forgot about Xavi, Fabregas looks good too!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts