Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May 13: Selection Day

In less than 12 hours, Oliveira will put an end to all of the speculation and name his seleccao for Korea.

The announcement will be made at 8:00am Eastern Standard Time.

Forca Portugal.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
COUTO 5 said:
So what are your thoughts Sel2002 coming into it ???
The big question is who is the 2nd & more 3rd choice keeper ??
Those are two huge questions.

I think Baia is a lock. Oliveira seems to side with the veterans of the Golden Generation wherever possible, and I am not saying that is a bad thing.

As far as the No. 3, I think you have to go with the hotter hand – Nelson. Unfortunately, Quim is just not in form. If, God forbid, something should happen to Ricardo, I’d feel a little better with a keep who has played consistently well over the past couple of months.

The other big question mark is the “surprise” to which Oliveira recently referred.

Will it be Quaresma? Litos? Dani?

Other interesting selections will be between Beto, Caneira and Litos. I think Beto and Caneira are in, and Litos will be watching from home.

Does Barbosa make it, or will Oliveira opt for Quaresma?

Does Oliveira take Viana (I know he is on the U21s, but…..) as insurance against Rui Costa’s recurring injuries?

Unforuntately, this could be interesting. A couple of months ago before Simao got injured, and Rui and Figo could not stay fit, I think there were less questions.

Anyway, we will find out in 15 minutes or so…

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I whole heartedly agree that Baia wil be a lock & I am sure his bags are packed already but I sure damn hope the 3rd choice is Nelson , cause he is in alot better form than Baia. A sad day when a players name carries him through , I hope he can find his great form for 1 last time !!

Maybe his surprise is Makukula , who was overlooked for the sub21's anyways not long now !!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lista dos 23 convocados:

Guarda-Redes:
Ricardo (Boavista)
Vítor Baia (F. C. Porto)
Nélson (Sporting)

Defesas:
Abel Xavier (Liverpool)
Frechaut (Boavista)
Fernando Couto (Lázio)
Jorge Costa (Charlton)
Jorge Andrade (F. C. Porto)
Beto (Sporting)
Marco Caneira (Benfica)
Rui Jorge (Sporting)

Médios:
Petit (Boavista)
Paulo Bento (Sporting)
Paulo Sousa (Espanhol)
Rui Costa (Milan)
Figo (Real Madrid)
Sérgio Conceição (Inter Milão)
Capucho (F. C. Porto)
Pedro Barbosa (Sporting)
Kenedy (Marítimo)

Avançados:
João Vieira Pinto (Sporting)
Pauleta (Bordéus)
Nuno Gomes (Fiorentina)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
selecao2002 said:
30 minutes and counting.

If you are at work, you can watch RTPi live (though I am not sure they are showing it live) on www.jumptv.com
Nothing there Man :( !!!!!!

any where else or are U going to keep us up to date ??

·
Registered
642 Posts
COUTO 5 said:
Kenedy the surprise ;)

No Dani !!!
Exactly! I just watched it on SIC international.

Dani would have been my surprise pick but obviously Oliveira didnt think hed be realaible or suitable.

No Vidigal, Meira, Viana, Quaresma.

Barbosa for me is a wasted spot that should have been used for one of the young guns.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Barbosa is IMO not a bad selection , but if we were decimated by injury he could slot in , no worries , he knows everyone on the squad , he has experience , has always been a consistent performerwhether for the NT or Sporting. A good back up !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kenedy and Barbosa over Vianna and Quaresma is nuts IMO. I have seen all 4 play, the latter 3 predominantly, and I think he made a big mistake bringing the K+B over V+Q. So they are older and have more experience. Vianna and Quaresma are better IMO, and since they won't be starting, why not bring them along for the experience.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
GUARDA-REDES
Vítor Baía: we had no choice.
Ricardo: the best there is in Portugal at the moment
Nélson : I would've gone with 2 goalies and threw in Quaresma!

DEFESAS
Abel Xavier: excellent form at the moment
Beto: reliability.
Frechaut: has proven to be a golden nugget.
Fernando Couto: his 'threatening' look is priceless.
Jorge Costa: the man of steel. Has to keep opponents in order.
Rui Jorge: reliability.
Jorge Andrade: great defense man, speed, youth...
Caneira: the future.

MÉDIOS
Capucho: beat the dutch almost single handedly the 2nd time
Kenedy: Kenedy who?
Pedro Barbosa: reliability. Rui Costa's back up?
Petit: reliability.
Paulo Bento: I have no idea
Paulo Sousa: You can't leave him out.
Figo: the best in the world.
Rui Costa: the second best in the world.
Sérgio Conceição: Mr. I'll save Portugal's bacon!! O melhor d'Italia

AVANÇADOS
João Pinto: in the form of his life.
Nuno Gomes: will score goals to prove himself again.
Pauleta: what else can we say...the best striker in Portugal.

I though Kenedy was originally a defense man. He's listed as a medio. I dunno.:confused:

Anyhow, I know absolutely nothing about Kenedy except for the one game I saw him play this season.

Who's got the goods on this guy?

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I saw that Kenedy guy play, he was playing deep, and more on the left-side of the pitch. I am still shocked, and Portugal has a fairly old team here, which is why I am surprised Oliviera didn't bring along some other young guns--other than Caniera and Andrade.

Anyone else agree that Viana and Quaresma probably should have bring brought along? I admit, I don't follow football in Portugal as much as in England or Italy, but from what I have seen, they are better players. I also would have brought along Vidigal instead of Paulo Bento. Just my opinions.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
mathiaslg said:
When I saw that Kenedy guy play, he was playing deep, and more on the left-side of the pitch. I am still shocked, and Portugal has a fairly old team here, which is why I am surprised Oliviera didn't bring along some other young guns--other than Caniera and Andrade.

Anyone else agree that Viana and Quaresma probably should have bring brought along? I admit, I don't follow football in Portugal as much as in England or Italy, but from what I have seen, they are better players. I also would have brought along Vidigal instead of Paulo Bento. Just my opinions.
I'm a bit shocked at the Kenedy pick myself but you know what, think about his versatility. The guy used to play defense, but has a forwards speeds and a stikers instinct. That's what I've heard about him all season. I know he won't be in Maritimo next season that's for sure.

I would have brought along Quaresma. We have enough play makers. That's why he chose Kenedy over Viana. Any one of the Portuguese midfield could be considered a midfielder. What we needed was a player who could score.

Can Kenedy score? You tell me.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Kenedy ..yes it is a shock, I am happy Maritimo has a representitive he has been in good form all season but it is also debateable whether Viana & Quaresma are mentally capable handling the greatest stage of all. The question also hangs over Kenedy, but he has experience at an acceptable level whereas Viana's & Quaresma's time will come . Still to raw at this stage

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Did you's see the last SCP and Maritimo game this season? Quiroga was all over Kenedy and must of fouled him 10 times the whole game! Quiroga's job that game was to blanket Kenedy!

Keneday at SCP next year???

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have to say I'm satisfied with the roster. Everyone that was called had been mentioned here at one time or another. My only concern is that we're a little thin up front. Frechaut probably could have been sacrificed for another attacking option. Also, I thought for sure Vidigal would have been included.

As for the kids, Viana just didn't seem ready for the next level. Quaresma would have brought an interesting, though highly erratic, dynamic to the squad. Pedro Barbosa is much safer option than either of the kids. For the first time in years, he's shown consistent form. He's the ideal 2nd half substitute.

Kenedy made the squad because we needed another left-side option. Rui Jorge and Kenedy are the only naturally left-footed players we have on the roster.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I thought Oliviera made a big mistake by not selecting Dani he is a great player, Kenedy is a suprise to me personally i have not seen much of him all i know is that he plays for Maritimo. The squad looks strong I hope Vitor Baia is first keeper and I think they will suprise many teams and win the World Cup.

FORCA PORTUGAL:D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts