Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant say I didnt see this comming, Ive always believed he was a waste of talent.

Mathis looking to salvage career

Ives Galarcep
ESPN Soccernet.com

Like James Dean's character in Rebel Without a Cause, Clint Mathis seems to find trouble wherever he goes. The enigmatic former MetroStar and current Hannover 96 striker only needed a year to wear out his welcome in Germany and has his bags packed for a return trip to Major League Soccer just a year after leaving.

Clint Mathis: In the doghouse at Hannover 96. (AP)

MLS, Mathis and Hannover are working on finalizing a deal that will bring Mathis back to MLS, where he will play for Real Salt Lake. While it is still being worked out how much MLS will pay Hannover to acquire Mathis, the 28-year-old forward/midfielder is expected to return and try to stabilize a career gone wild.

Mathis started his Bundesliga career with a bang, recording four goals and two assists in his first eight games. Then, just as quickly, his play began to fade and the inevitable questions began surfacing about whether Mathis could be a legitimate force or if he would just flash and fade like a shooting star.

He struggled under new Hannover coach Ewald Lienen and earned a permanent ticket in Lienen's doghouse after showing him up with a gesture after coming on late and scoring a goal in early October. Lienen downplayed Mathis' gesture, which consisted of him tapping an imaginary watch as he yelled in Lienen's direction, but the damage was done. Mathis only played one more match and hasn't been in uniform in nearly two months. He learned the painful lesson that the antics he got away with in MLS wouldn't go unpunished in Europe.

With the only other option being to stay on as an overpaid practice body, Mathis began planning a return to MLS. He put in a call to John Ellinger asking him if he would have him. Ellinger, fully aware that his Real Salt Lake squad would be starving for star power, didn't hesitate to say yes. MLS, which has lost its best goalkeeper (Tim Howard), defender (Carlos Bocanegra), midfielder (DaMarcus Beasley) and forward (Landon Donovan) in the past 16 months, wasn't about to say no.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Why not? He's really not a bad player, just got a bit of an attitude problem, kinda like Gazza. He will help make MLS better, but he'll have no more shots at playing Europe after his behaviour at Hannover.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MagicalEd said:
Why not? He's really not a bad player, just got a bit of an attitude problem, kinda like Gazza. He will help make MLS better, but he'll have no more shots at playing Europe after his behaviour at Hannover.
Its more like he was a good player, now he is a waste of time. If the MLS has to fork out money for him then let him rot there on the bench.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
dat drunk is comming home :thmbdown:

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Correction. That stoner is coming home.

I'm dissapointed, he went there and looked so good his first few games, scoring some absolutely brilliant goals, and since has played terribly.

Isn't Kreis also going to Real? If Mathis can rediscover his form him and Kreis could be a lethal combination. However, I agree with Paul in that we shouldn't pay for him if that's what we have to do. Let him go on a free, he's crap now anyways.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
He is far from terrible. It is just his attitude. He can score goals, this was proven. But when he is benched, his attitude takes the best from him. If he could work on this, and not pretend he is a huge star like he thinks, then he would have been succesful in Europe.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I agree beerschot, he isn't bad, he just needs an attitude adjustment. Kinda like Gazza! ;)

I think he will do well again here in MLS, especially if he goes to RSL where they will probably build their team around him...

·
Registered
447 Posts
he needs more than an attitude adjustment before he left the metros he had like a 52 game scoreless streak or somethin idk if it was taht bad but it was bad. obviously hes not terrible but hes not the player he used to be and i dont see him returning to that stage anytime soon

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
Never really liked him. He seemed like he had the talent but never the will.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
MagicalEd said:
Kinda like Gazza! ;)
:rollani:

Kinda like Gazza, minus the sensational talent and ability Gazza had.

He does need a different attitude, though. He could still save his career. Him and Josh Wolff - great memories.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Mathis spoke tonight to Fox Sports World on the telephone about his move.

Basically, he used a lot of long talk and a boring drawl to say he'd failed in Germany and was thus coming back to America. He used some weird wording to say that Germany was "different" and he had some "things" (real quotes from Interview) here that he needed to take care of.

Fanciest way I've ever heard someone say they were complete crap.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts