Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you feel Sports Illustrated is good for sanitary purposes only, but the issue hitting newsstands tomorrow will feature Clint Mathis on the cover. As far as I'm concerned, this is huge. :) :D

Here's the blurb from MLSnet.com:

MetroStars and U.S. World Cup team forward Clint Mathis is the cover subject of this week’s soon-to-hit-newsstands issue of Sports Illustrated, which features a three-page profile of Mathis as well as an in-depth preview of the 2002 World Cup in Japan/South Korea. The new issue of Sports Illustrated arrives on newsstands Wednesday. Mathis becomes the first male soccer player since 1994 (Earnie Stewart) and the first MLS player ever to grace the cover of America’s largest sports weekly.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Hern...this is not a good sign...did you ever hear of the Sports Illustrated jinx??? Hopefully the jinx will be broken....;)

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
It may give us a glimpse of hope for a draw with Portugual if we can maintain our highest concentration (are you listening, Regis?).

Figo is not in form due to a lingering injury, same can be said about Rui Costa who is unlikely to be match fit when June 5th comes around.

Personally, I think losing to Portugal by two goals or less is acceptable. Anything more is disastrous while getting a point will be a miracle!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Hern..its great but the problem is that Sports Illustrated follows soccer once every four years and then when the Cup is over...its put on the backburner.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Still, any time we get some soccer exposure to the sports fans in the US is better than nothing. I hope one day, we can see an SI-Soccer edition! ;)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JureM said:
Hern...this is not a good sign...did you ever hear of the Sports Illustrated jinx??? Hopefully the jinx will be broken....;)
A couple of months ago SI actually ran a story about its supposed cover jinx. It went into great statistical detail about players' performance before and after they were on the cover. As I recall they found some evidence for the jinx but that overall it is more of a myth than anything else.

Let's hope that's true in Clint's case. :)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JureM said:
Hern..its great but the problem is that Sports Illustrated follows soccer once every four years and then when the Cup is over...its put on the backburner.
As I've said before, SI covers ALL sports, so it makes sense it doesn't cover soccer in every issue. That's why I also subscribe to Soccer America.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the cover:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read the article on Mathis in SI. Overall, very positive, but it does raise concerns (at least for me) about Mathis' lack of maturity and willingness to work to be the best.

The article quotes Arena as saying, "I am worried about his work ethic. He doesn't have a great work ethic. It took him nearly seven months to heal from ACL surgery. Other players have done it in nine weeks. The greatest players work the hardest. He's going to have to learn that if he wants to play for a big club."

That's the first time I'd heard criticism of Mathis' recovery speed from the ACL.

Last month I read David Halberstam's "Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World That He Made." The one thing Halberstam and the folks he interviewed emphasized over and over again was how hard Jordan worked to become and stay the best in the game. He was universally recognized as the best practice player ever; he took the game seriously (yet loved it and had fun playing it) and worked hard at it all the time.

If Mathis really wants to make it to the big time, he needs to dedicate himself to continually improving. He needs to set high goals for himself and work to achieve them.

Hopefully he understands that the next month will be a turning point in his life. Hopefully he's prepared himself to perform at the highest level.

·
Registered
541 Posts
A Detroit sports radio show was talking about the issue yesterday. They were discussing the article about Chris Chelios of the Red Wings and the back cover article about a writer that says bad things about the Wings. One of the radio jock sniffers said, "it's the SI with Clint Mathis on the cover, whoever that is."

"Oh, soccer," chortled another voice.

The apparent scoffing at a SI with a soccer player on the cover, just irks the pi$$ out of me. :mad: Some day I'm going to rub their smug noses in the mud off my cleats.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Kerry...

Don't worry about that nonsense. Sports radio is a bunch of crap anyway. So they don't understand soccer; &%#* 'em.

In soccer there's not a basket scored every 30 seconds, or 2 guys cracking each other over the head. Soccer is a bit more nuanced. You actually have to think about what you're watching to get the full enjoyment out of it. Some people don't want to be bothered. *&%$ 'em I say.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speaking of sports radio, this afternoon I was giving blood and they had a radio playing. I soon realized that they had DC United Coach Roy Hudson and ESPN soccer analyst Tommy Smyth having a heated debate about Roy Keane dismissal from the Irish National Team. Hudson's position was that McCarthy had to do what was right for the team and had to assert his coaching authority. Smyth's position was that the whole thing was a grave disservice to Ireland and its fans and that Keane should be brought back onto the team.

It was a wonderful 10 minute back-and-forth exchange.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I was disappointed by the issue. It had a small article on Mathis and did the previews for the entire tourney in 4 pages:(

Last time, there was a feature on Ronaldo, much more detailed stories, and more interesting profiles.

Oh well, let's see how the coverage goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts