Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All news agencies reporting we have agreed a deal to bring Mateo Kovacic to Real Madrid.

Two years ago he was one of the world's hottest players; I think expectations were obviously higher however he still impressed me whenever I watched him and I think with the quality of players around here he will only improve. Sometimes these genius players need quality players to be complete

Official announcement expected soon... our potential first "major" signing of the season... Perez finally seem to have woken up

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just hit me that Luca is hitting 30 this season.. let's see if Mateo can be his successor or ends up likes Xabi's successor..

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Everyone's reporting is. He is supposedly good at dribbling, shooting from distance and doing the final pass? I didn't know this player until today, what kind of player is he? Is he the 10 role? Similar to Isco or James? How does he fare on the pitch?

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Everyone's reporting is. He is supposedly good at dribbling, shooting from distance and doing the final pass? I didn't know this player until today, what kind of player is he? Is he the 10 role? Similar to Isco or James? How does he fare on the pitch?
He glides past players with ridiculous ease (Reminds me of how Zanetti used to, and I don't say this lightly at all), is extremely technically gifted with the ball close to him, and has an eye for the killer pass.

Can't shoot though, atleast not yet and not consistently.

His identity as a player isn't set in stone yet, I'd say ideally down the line he's more of an Iniesta type player, but a bit more CM oriented.

Some would say he'd be best as a deep-lying playmaker who has the freedom to roam and do and go as he pleases between the defensive and central midfield building up plays - but I think he should be played a bit closer to goal to really unleash his true ability and impact the game the best way he can.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
IMO

Kovacic (positives):very illusive, quick, tricky, excellent dribbling skills, great vision and amazing passing, can create on his own

Kovacic (negative): not solid defensively, inconsistent, has been completely irrelevant in games when he is defending

Overall, he is still relatively young and incredibly gifted but he had to learn to play more consistent and not allow his defensive responsibilities to affect his offence....he is very very entertaining to watch at times....can change the game himself!

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Kovacic needs time and space to be effective where he can use his pace and dribbling skills to create chances. His off the ball movement needs more work but it has gotten better. As a lot of young players His age are not consistent yet and still tactically raw but he has unbelievable burst with great dribbling skills. Not sure if this is the best move for his career but the kid does have a very good head on his shoulders and is dedicated to football.

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
Kovacic is shit. It was a poor transfer.

But a couple of poor transfers were expected the moment Rafa signed with you.

Apparently, he's also interested in Llorente, lol.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Inter fan posted this on a RM website. Mostly what Stanko said.

Hello, Managing Madrid, an interista here.

I’ve been following this place among many other blogs to get my daily European football exposure cup and after this Kovacic rumor and the position questions asked, I’ve decided to offer my two cents.

Mateo, like many have said already, is a central midfielder who flourishes when playing on the left side of the midfield. We often compare him with Iniesta due to his position and playing tendencies. Mancini tired him as an AM last season but he lacked the natural instincts and positional sense of a true trequartista so he was pushed back into the midfield which is his comfort zone. This preseason Mancini tried him as a traditional regista in front of defense, a thing the jury’s still out on despite his good performances, before he was returned as a LCM. The kid likes to dribble, has a good eye for off the ball movement, like to create chances and recycle possession. However, he relies on dribbling above other solutions which leaves him exposed to losing the ball under pressure but that could be reverted to his young age.

A stupid decision by our management if it’s true but kudos to yours on the catch. He’s a joy to watch and he’ll blossom in a better technical environment.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts

I’ve been following this place among many other blogs to get my daily European football exposure cup and after this Kovacic rumor and the position questions asked, I’ve decided to offer my two cents.

Mateo, like many have said already, is a central midfielder who flourishes when playing on the left side of the midfield. We often compare him with Iniesta due to his position and playing tendencies. Mancini tired him as an AM last season but he lacked the natural instincts and positional sense of a true trequartista so he was pushed back into the midfield which is his comfort zone. This preseason Mancini tried him as a traditional regista in front of defense, a thing the jury’s still out on despite his good performances, before he was returned as a LCM. The kid likes to dribble, has a good eye for off the ball movement, like to create chances and recycle possession. However, he relies on dribbling above other solutions which leaves him exposed to losing the ball under pressure but that could be reverted to his young age.

A stupid decision by our management if it’s true but kudos to yours on the catch. He’s a joy to watch and he’ll blossom in a better technical environment.

Peace.

A pretty good analysis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,161 Posts

Peace.
Regarding role/position of the player, that's right. Kovacic doesn't make sense as a regista or an AM. He should be played as the most attacking CM in a 3-man midfield.

But for Inter, it was an excellent deal. They had to sell Kovacic not just to fund other necessary transfers (they desperately need an AM/W and a good CM; could use two new FBs too) and satisfy FFP requirements, but also because this was the right time to sell Kovacic while he's still overrated in the European market. His value would have dropped next summer. But I expected them to get around 25m or maybe even 20m for him, not potentially up to 35.5m.

Kovacic is overrated, isn't a good player under any stretch of the imagination, and doesn't have good potential either.

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
Here are the details of the deal as reported by Football Italia / Tuttomercatoweb:

Tuttomercatoweb have reported the details of the move, which will have a potential total cost of €35.5m.

The website believes this is divided into a €28m transfer fee and €7.5m of variables.

These include €2.5m once Kovacic reaches 20 appearances next season and another €5m once the 21-year-old turns out for Madrid 40 times.

My guess is Real will end up paying just 28m or 30.5m for him and then cut their losses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This was a terrible deal for Inter. Of course a Juve fan will say that Kovacic doesn't have great potential :lol: He has the potential to become one of the best midfielders in the world, end of story. Necessary transfers? Is this guy retarded? It's necessary to sell Kovacic to bring in garbage like Montoya, Perotti, and Criscito? 35 mill is nothing in this market, let alone for a club like Real Madrid, or for a player of Kovacic's calibre.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So Mateo sat on the bench in Inter's last friendly for the full 90 minutes and at the post match conference Mancini all but confirmed he is sad to see Kovacic leave however they have to due to FFP.

I'm guessing should be made official today

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
Deleted all the insulting posts. If you can't handle people critisizing Kovacic stay away from this forum but don't start insulting other people here. I saw what was going on in Inter's forum and it's not gonna happen here. No need to start crying just because somebody critisizes a player.

Kovacic is a talented player but far far from ready for Real Madrid, especially with the competition he faces in this team. This is not the best environment for him to mature because he desperately needs playing time. He's been used on so many positions that he doesn't have a natural place in a team yet. Sometimes games completely pass him by. I offen saw him glide past two players and then pass the ball to no man's land. He's very raw still. For that kind of money they could have bought Vidal or Krychowiak.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Nuri Sahin says hi

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Passing the ball to no one? Shoot we already have players that do this in abundance, I'll wait until I see him play for us before I judge, until then good luck Mateo, he at least looks like he knows how to control a football that is passed to him, that's a good start.

·
Administrator
52,912 Posts
First of, kid is a big talent. Very very natural abilities and talent, extremely excellent dribbler and movement. But lacking in everything else so far, has shown signs of good passing vision, but rarely uses it decisvely. His position on the pitch is totally up in the air, he is not good at assertng himself nor decisive enough in attacking phases for AM (completely poor when he played there for Inter, barely can shoot at all, and only tried to dribble his through it all instead of come with different solutions), tried as winger but lacks the penetrating style similar to AM. And defenitely too soft for defensive work or playing in 2 man CM pair (gets lost like a little puppy). Main thing is can have potential to play regista (Verratti style) if smartens up and becomes more natural passer in all ranges.

Essentially this guy for me is mainly and almost only best used as 3rd CM/LCM who gets freedom to move in out of zones/channels. His best asset is movement, he is pretty much world class at it (with our without the ball, but mainly with). He needs alot of development and is too raw still (also doesnt help his real position is not set yet), very young and talented so very likely to become a top player, but also a dud if he doesnt get the patience and guidance he needs. Couldnt get it at Inter, but probably not the best invironment for him (to have be the go-to-guy when he is not ready).

But in a nutshell, he got alot of time, and rarely did he show an ounce of consistently and real enough moments where he could be impact player for Inter (last two games vs Juve, he had like one good pass setting up an attack, rest of the time he was completely hiding in the background doing nothing useful). Showcased alot of effort and will to work, and natural abilities, but IMO too little of brain/decision making and decisiveness that top talents need to show enough times to signal they mean bussiness.

Which is why I dont get at all why you bought him so soon. You arent exactly the best place for nurturing fragile stage big talent who needs time and guidance, it will be sink or swim for him. He is atleast 2 years away from being a Real Madrid ready top level starter. But all depends on how much Benitez likes him, if he does, he will be, if you play 3 man midfield, be able to get alot of minutes I take it (if Isco is seen as winger/AM only, then should be alot of minutes to be had for Kova).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts